Hex layers imported from PX560? PX5s?

Rudolph R-N R

No, they are not different. See pages EN-31 and EN-32 of the PX-560 User's Guide and page 3 of the PX-5S Firmware Version 1.10 User's Manual and compare them to pages EN-15 and EN-16 of the MZ-X500 User's Guide (Tutorial). On those pages is described the key-follow parameters for filter cutoff and amplitude. They are obviously the same between all three models. The key-follow parameters for pitch are also the same for all three models but uses the single key-follow base system you described above. The other system essential splits the key follow into three regions across the MIDI note range, with independant control over the rate of change of the relevant parameter (filter cutoff or amplitude) in two of the three regions.

C'mon, Brad, you can admit it. Aside from mono mode and bass synth mode (which are REALLY NICE improvements) and the accessible waves (admittedly a huge stumbling block wrt conversion of tones) there are only a handful of parameters that are different between the Hex Layer modes in the three models we are talking about. They are, as I said, very similar. 

14 hours ago, Allanon said:

Are there any public informations about MZ-X and PX file formats (Tones and HexLayers)? 

I'm a programmer and I could try to build a conversion software in my spare time if there are enough docs about file formats.

Unfortunately, I don't think there is ANY public information about the file formats. You would have to reverse engineer. However, I suspect that a good part of the file structure, or chunks of it, follows the parameter structure shown in the MZ-X500 MIDI implementation document. It would be the easiest path and hence the one Casio's engineers probably took. (My guess is based on my own experience writing a fair bit of embedded code as well as designing the hardware that ran that code. You don't add needless work to any task, be it hardware or software design, if you want to meet a development schedule.)

And now the manual updates have bitten me.  So here is the deal. Going from memory wasn't an option and I didn't have access to my PX-5S to check, so I looked up the manual on my phone, the original manual, not the firmware update.  All of the parameters are "key follow base" in the original manual, not remembering that this was changed in the update.  Doh!   :facepalm:  

The time aspect I understand but I don't believe there any applicable legal aspects. You would not be trying to break any code or create a competing product. You would just be trying to figure out the file structure. I'm pretty sure Casio would not object. 

• 1 month later...
On 8/25/2017 at 7:59 PM, BradMZ said:

MZ-X500 hex layer tones also adds amp decay time key follow, filter decay time key follow, high key follow base, low key follow base, pitch bend key and all mode, legato portamento and envelope legato mode.  

What is "decay time (and the others) key follow"