Can a Casio WK1200 be used a a MIDI controller?

Chuckonn

I have an older Casio WK1200 that is in perfect working order. I would like to use it as a MIDI controller connected to an Apple Mac Mini that has GarageBand loaded. The goal is to play the piano, organ, strings, etc. loaded in the GarageBand program using this keyboard and then to record to the Studio One software also loaded on the Mac Mini. I also have a MIDI In/Out to USB cable to make the connection.  Is this possible?

i appreciate all feededback A.S.AP.

I have a WK-1250 (flooded and inoperable due to Hurricane Katrina).  It sure can work as a MIDI controller. It has a MIDI out port and you have the adapter cable to connect it to your computer. You can use it to send notes, pitch bend and sustain pedal messages.  

I'm not your guy to answer about Garage Band and Studio One.  I'm not familiar with those.  Maybe someone else can chime in there.  

On a side note, I've never taken time to figure out what is different between a WK-1250 and 1200. It can't be very much.  They look identical. 

I do not think that WK1200 is useful as a midi controller.

Question number one - how to select an active channel?

I do not think that it provides access to transport commands (Start, Stop, Record).

However this keyboard can be paired with an external  MIDI controller such as Akai MPD (in my opinion).

It may make sense in order to gain control over parameters inaccessible from WK1200.

WK1200 has 16 channels each of which I assume can be controlled individually.

Also I expect that WK1200 can be controlled by DAW. But you will need an external USB MIDI adapter.

The following parameters according to the manual can be controlled per channel:

Program change number, volume, expression, pan, coarse tuning, fine tuning, on/off/solo

May be you can control more (Release, Attack, Cut Off, Resonance .. etc) ...

With what you describe, it should totally work. You may need the right driver for the MIDI to USB device, or it may just plug and play. I would try that first. I would also recommend MIDI Monitor in case you have problems. It will tell you if your Mac is seeing the MIDI data.

One thing I'm not clear on is if you're trying to record the sounds generated in GarageBand with Studio One. I don't think there's a way to do that directly, but you could export the audio for each sound from GB and use that in Studio One I guess.

I appreciate the responses. Initially I just wanted to access the sounds in Garage Band for live/ rehearsal playing. As far as recording, I have found some info on recording in GB, and how to covert the AIFF file via iTunes to a .wav file and import it to Studio One, etc. If I get the connection to work, I'll try all that. Thanks again.