PX560 as a Master MIDI controller

Egor

I have seen it written that the PX-560 is a poor MIDI controller since it misses some key features. But if you want to see if it will meet you needs

start by making sure the Privia MIDI send channel and the device to be controlled uses that input channel. Please let us know if it works for you

because others might also have this need and might not want to carry a computer to every performance to be the controller.

I actually did not have any problems to get the PX560 control the external board but simply connecting via midi cable. But that was as far as I got. I was not able to find a way to mute the PX560 and was getting both keyboards sound layered at the same time. I could not find any real time midi controllers to do so. Unless I have to do some special programming.

Please advise if you know if it's possible to easy control an external sound device with PX 560.

Thx! 

OK, using Local off helps though it's kinda pain to always get into the settings if you need it done quickly. But those Midi setting is all I can find. I still can not find how to turn off (and then on) Program Change Midi command. I can't find how to turn off Midi commands quickly when needed besides pulling out the Midi cable. 

Where are all those Midi settings?

There's a system setting called "Auto Resume" that saves setting between sessions. Hopefully that will save the Local Off setting.

I can't find any additional documentation about the MIDI Capabilities beyond what's in 2 pages in the Manual. Look's like the conventional

thinking is right... the PX-560 makes a lousy Midi Controller. How about an M-Audio Keystation 88 II for $200 and use the

PX-560 for it's awesome sounds as a target? I have seen it written that the PX-5S is a better controller. Everything in this price range

makes compromises in some area but the PX-560 does a great job in almost every area EXCEPT MIDI controls. Sorry.

• 2 weeks later...

Егор, сохраняй в банках пресеты,  1 по 4 кнопка. Один пресет с включенным  локальным контролем, вторая кнопка с выключенным. Заодно там сохранишь  назначение (номера) каналов для миди управления  кноб 1-3  и колесо модуляций в VST

• 2 weeks later...

PX is a MIDI controller but it is not designed to controlling DAWs.

Touchscreen kills all of the beauty of using real knobs and sliders.

Compare it to at least Krome,  MOXF8 or FA( FA is not a master controller it  the monster controller ).

Something as MPD can serve as staring point for a little money or as an extension to many workstations with limited number of knows, sliders, buttons.

Plus it has  the repeat function which is cool ;).

However if you pair PX with Yamaha Rack XS that will be something awesome ;)

Большинство МИДИ параметров остаются скрытыми.

PX  не был разработан с целью предоставления функциональности котроллера который мог бы стать центром утравления студией.

Так как используемые ЧИПЫ стандартны можно с лёгкостью получить достую ко множеству стандартных параметров  скрытых в PX. 

Что в принципе не имеет большого смысла, так как набор инструменотов PX это в своём подовляющем большинстве GM.

Я поступил просто добавил FA 08( сверх открытая система) и MPD чтобы компенсировать недостаток количества регуляторов.

Правильнее было бы конечно заменить всё на Кронос или Montage и не мучаться :)

On 9/27/2017 at 12:48 PM, ArtinS said:

Егор, сохраняй в банках пресеты,  1 по 4 кнопка. Один пресет с включенным  локальным контролем, вторая кнопка с выключенным. Заодно там сохранишь  назначение (номера) каналов для миди управления  кноб 1-3  и колесо модуляций в VST

The problem is that if I even create a registration with the Local Off to only play the external keyboard then when I go to another registration where the Local is ON that external keyboard will still play/sound via MIDI together with PX560. And not only play but it will also receive the program changes!  Because there is no way on PX560 (at  least that I'm aware of) to turn Off MIDI signals sent to the external keyboard/device including Progam Changes...

Talked to the tech support today but it was pretty useless. All I've been told as this keyboard is not designed as a MIDI controller and I am even lucky to get it play another keyboard... Wow!. OK... But it has standard MIDI IN and OUT/THRU connections on the back. And I does send MIDI Program Changes and it does play another keyboard and even sends the sustain and assignable pedals and the Mod wheels MIDI signals. If it does all these then it's gotta be some way to configure all these...

What i really wish to know is if other controller can access the other 2 parts of the px 560.

I will like to use one part with piano and other with strings, but with the full keybed, and without using the split function, access (by other keyboard) the 2 other parts.

I mean, a 61 keys controller is pretty cheap. I dont know if its possible, but pretty helpfull on my way to use the board.

• 1 year later...

All I want to know is if I can change an external keyboard program settings with the 560 and store  my external board settings in the 560 registration banks along with the 560 settings.  Think of a live situation and I just want to choose the appropriate bank and registration setting on the 560 and it pulls up the stored program settings for both boards.  This way I don't have to constantly change patches on both boards during a show.  Any thoughts?  Thanks.  

You can download an appendix to the main user manual and a further 28 page 'MIDI implementaion' document from Casio here:

https://support.casio.com/en/manual/manualfile.php?cid=008017041

As Casio say, it's not really designed to be a controller.

Sure, notes pressed and pedals used will be transmitted and received on the appropriate MIDI channels but, for instance, the PX560 only uses the MSB of Bank Select commands.

This means it won't transmit an altered value of the LSB just 00H. (I haven't tried it but reading the extra documentation sems to imply that.)

It's just not designed to store registrations to be transmitted to other MIDI connected devices.