Fixing loud key on PX-850

duinsel
Go to solution Solved by Brad Saucier,

Hi,

My Privia PX-850 developed a loud key (i.e. full volume regardless of the key actuation force). I suspected an issue in the sensor of the key, and opened up the piano to try and repair the issue. I could not find nice information online on disassembly of this piano, so I'd like to share some pictures with you here, perhaps it will be of use to someone.

I started by removing the backpanel. That was easy, but be aware of the cable connecting the lid sensor. There is a connector that allows disconnection.

PIC_20170917_141847.thumb.JPG.5f60618d98ced9eb79d49476f117e5ad.JPG

Next I removed the keyboard cover. A screw holds the metal bar in place on the spring mechanism. Loosen the screw and slide out the bar. Next, the whole cover can be slid out of the rails.

59be71e79b7c3_DSC_00273.thumb.JPG.f9620b9bb885759b3d03b0a3c27076a9.JPG

Next, I removed the whole keyboard assembly out of the cabinet. In retrospect than may not be necessary to remove the pianokeys and access the sensors, but this is how I did it. I loosened the center electronics cabinet and loosened all connectors. The high density flat cable can be unlocked by lifting up the plastic top ridge in the pcb connector. The right speaker casing also needed to be removed as it covers some screws.

PIC_20170917_112338.thumb.JPG.8fde9eaa76a886cc9b26a95bca6be3af.JPG

PIC_20170917_114303.thumb.JPG.d4f0fb269bf6ece129712eb764695d45.JPG

I removed the front panel with the controls. It is attached to the keyboard assembly through several posts, unscrew these from the front panel. Also, At 1/3 of the length next to the grille two screws keep together two segments. After detaching, both halves easily come out. I removed the tape and ziptie connecing the cables to the white keyboard assembly.

The keyboard came loose with 3 screws on top and a whole bunch on the bottom. After this, the whole assemble could be maneuvered out of the back with relative easy. Take care to support it well over the length.

PIC_20170917_115122.thumb.JPG.b1ff97afc78b56e1c3d75a034530a178.JPG

Next, I loosened the retaining bracket behind the affected keys. Also, the black posts for the front panel had to be removed in that segment. After removal, I could take out first the white keys, then the black. The keys hinge between white plastic tabs, after prying and spreading them a bit the key can pop up, and move back and out. I removed keys until a whole sensor segment was exposed..

PIC_20170917_121607.thumb.JPG.e58b9f831688f87cb47c451b43e38f65.JPG

I loosened the rubber strip from the membrane switch array gently. It is stuck in with soft rubber pins in holes on the pcb.

Each key had 3 contracts (tri sensor!) at different heights, I suspect the connect sequentially and stroke force is deduced from the timing between them.

PIC_20170917_122020.thumb.JPG.8752ece425b830d1f56c5a48f0fc5ab2.JPG

PIC_20170917_121858.thumb.JPG.757a3f0cf1ac1132fd4be74e7deb7f6e.JPG

Finally, what I came to do. I gently cleaned both the carbonized rubber contacts and the zigzag pcb segments with isopropyl alcohol and a sort of cotton tip applicator.

Then reassembly. The rubber segment was hard to get seated in the holes, until I found that a paper clip wire can poke in the holes on the top and nicely push in the 'legs' below in their holes. Next the keys went back in, secured by the brackets, everything back in the cabinet, and try to remember where all screws came from.

PIC_20170917_131143.thumb.JPG.920503e9ed3c97e50d156c34fa2abcb3.JPG

In the end, I powered up the instrument, and yay! the piano key is now touch sensitive again. Mission accomplished.

Over here I made a movie of the action being actuated.

• Like 1

• Solution

Admin Note:  This post is marked as solution since this is the very first thing anyone should try.  If this fails, the rest of this topic may help. 

:(  Did you try blowing air in the gap around the key first?  It might have saved you a lot of work.  We've seen a number of these key malfunctions and the first thing I always suggest is air. Believe it or not, that works most of the time.  No disassembly required.

• Like 1

Hi BradMZ. Good point, but yes, I first tried to blow air (from a compressor, you can just see it on the second picture) between the gaps of the keys, that did not help. When I got the back panel off, I next tried to blow from below the keys, that did not help either. After that, I proceeded with disassembly.

However, the silicone rubber contact strip seem to be well sealed against the pcb (see the picture with the paperclip), I would have thought air could not reach the contact pads underneath that easily. But a good easy thing to try, as you say it sometimes works.

Two things to add to my post above. First, the piano was obviously out of warranty (purchased 2013, >4 yrs old). Second, there was no obvious fouling of the pads, nor something spilled. The picture I took is pre-cleaning. I did remove some dark residue by cleaning, but this was the same for the good keys and the bad key.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for posting this.  Our PX850 developed a similar issue on the D key in the same area as you showed in the picture.  Your information helped me to open up the keyboard, clean and fix the issue.  I was hoping I would not have to remove all the screws holding down the keyboard but unfortunately had to in order to tilt the keys forward.

Not sure as to the cause of this issue.  Like you, I noticed that the board was not overly dirty but did remove some residue during cleaning.

• 6 months later...

Hi Mik,

I honestly don't recall. Maybe a different hardware revision?

I only took apart the center key block containing the defective one, no preventive maintenance on the rest. No new defects have appeared in the mean time.

• 3 months later...

Thank you!  This is great.  Unfortunately, I have had this issue with several Privias (PX-160's and earlier).  And I think it is time consuming for keyboard repair places to do, so they say it is not worth it.

If videos could be posted for other models (PX-160), maybe I would try to fix the problem key on the keyboard (sometimes improperly get full velocity on a key).  But, of course I will try compressed air first.

If anyone has links for other models (PX-160, PX-350), I would appreciate including the link(s).

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I had the same problem,so I decided to turn the whole thing apart . Different model but same arrangement of keys. I dismantled all ALL the keys and unbolted all the screws, until I got down to the main board of the piano. I identified the problematic key (D, 15th or so from left to right). When the key was played, all the others around it would have a random loud tone. I found the sensor for that problematic key and guess what? Over it was some kind of dirt, like a dry stain of liquid, probably from a spill. I link a picture of something similar. I proceeded to clean it, tested and worked perfectly!

I actually enjoyed the process of dismantling the piano and understanding the issue, fixing it and put it back together.

In short, the solution is simple, but it takes time, patience and care t get to where you can apply it

I hope this post helps

https://photos.app.goo.gl/2wnkaZkfnAW9e9426

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hsJj6BzFKXx6rHH59

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

duinsel, you are an absolute lifesaver! I was dreading trying to get my PX-160 fixed or having to replace it, but nervous to take it apart and potentially make it worse. Well, I dreaded so long that my warranty ran out and I figured "Might as well." Perfect! I couldn't believe it when my key (F4, for what it's worth) played beautifully. I almost cried. Thank you!!!!

• 4 months later...

Thks Duinsel ... even today your thread helps even me today on my purchased PX-850 as I need to sort out some rattling keys after a recent 2nd hand purchase for our local school.

One thing may I point out is your last video picture ... the bottom left cushioning strip seems to be on the wrong side of the plastic shelf as per the Casio parts service manual .. your video shows the strip as being under the plastic shelf when it should be on the top (look closely at the bottom left of your vid capture on pause) .. it may be just the way the vid was taken ?

There are 4 cushioning strips on the Privia keyboard main frame ... 2 top (back and front) and 2 bottom (back and front)

part number 66 front bottom (thin) cushions the larger downward fin of the white key (back of the U shape)

67 front top (thin) ... this one looks like it is in the wrong position but it should cushion the front bottom lip (front of the U shape)

68 rear top (medium) looks like a white licorice allsort strip just at the back top of the key action ... and

69 front bottom (large) cushions the rear of the hammer action

I am waiting for the parts to arrive but have also bought some draught strip, some furniture cushioning strip and extra 3m double tape off Amazon just in case I can do same with that. Time will tell.

Luckily i also have a PX-760 in my other school where we teach and the parts are exactly the same and the whole keyboard layout is also the same but the part numbers are different .. nrs 56/57/58/59. This is worth knowing as the PX-760 is still being sold whereas the PX-850 is discontinued.

Hope this helps

• 3 months later...

Whoop, I did it again...

Another key on my piano failed in the same way as the other key 5 yrs ago.
I have proceeded to fix this key in the same way as before, but figured out that some of the steps I took last time around are not strictly required, so I was done quicker and easier this time around.  Again, I thought it would be useful to share (and I was happy to read that other users found my previous post useful, thanks for leaving a comment!)

As before, I started by taking out the hinged lid, the back/top panel and the sliding keyboard cover.

TopOff.thumb.jpg.dfe4165bca6716c87226a1bac05218de.jpg

Next, I disconnected the flex cable to the control panel, and removed the center segment holding all controls. The side segments I left connected (solder joints to the speaker elements...).

ControlsOff.thumb.jpg.dbf8110d37ca951ce55c8aa4c94ab5c0.jpg

Different than last time, I left the plastic keyboard assembly inside the wooden cabinet, that saves a bunch of hassle and reduces chances of accidental damage. It is necessary to undo the screws that hold it in though, as we need to shift the assembly a bit before we can remove the keys.
I undid the silver screws on the inside that hold the assembly on the wood case, and then also the silver screws on the bottom of the cabinet that do the same. I did not need to remove the electronics box on the bottom, but I have a feeling I forgot to put a screw back in located under that box last time, so maybe others need to remove that box for access to these screws.

Once the keyboard assembly is loose it can slide back a cm or so, be careful for the wires going through the bottom panel. Undo the brackets near the hinges of the keys, once free a white key can be pried out at the hinge, and when white is out the blacks can come out as well.

Gap.thumb.jpg.fe94244098664bab3cc4010cc7f68eef.jpg

I put the keys aside in the order they came out to help reassemble.

Now I had access to the sensor PCB, I chose to remove the three center sensor strips (which included the sensor of my bad key). The contact area on the PCB was cleaned with alcohol, and the silicone rubber contactor strips as well. After drying, assembly was the reverse procedure, a paperclip is still a lifesaver for getting the rubber pins back into the PCB. 

Board.thumb.jpg.521403a172446ba0e0cc6f50ae22467c.jpg

Silicone.thumb.jpg.ad257d7b74cbcbe40c7fbd292e1dc9a1.jpg

Fortunately, after assembly the faulty key was fixed, and could be played soft or loud as desired.😅
Let's see if it will last another 5 years like this.

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...