Slider Levels and Customization

Tson

1) Regarding sliders and levels, do the sliders utilize "catch" (slider has to pass through preset value to become active) or "jump" (slider value immediately jumps to slider position when it is moved)?  It would be nice if this were a setting option for each Tone that uses sliders.

2) I believe Hex Layers specifically engage the sliders to control each part of the Hex Layer Tone?  Do the part names of each part appear so that one can EASILY identify which part is being controlled by the slider?

3). Can any of the sliders be set up to always control Upper 1, Upper 2, Lower 1, Lower 2?  Going into the "Balance" sub-menu and adjusting is cumbersome and difficult to do live.  (Maybe using registration)?

• Like 2

Tson, I see we think alike, i just detailed in my wish list for Casio to take advantage of those sliders!  And to make it obvious what tones are playing in a hex tone so you know what what the heck you’re adjusting, and the ability to easily re-arrange the Tones in a hex tone in a fashion that makes sense to you.  

I personally would try for a consistent arrangement so i absolutely knew, even without the screen telling me, that the number 1 slider corresponds to the most basic building block of a sound, all the way to 5 and six being accents or add-ones.  Of course that doesn’t work with all of them, some of them are zoned, some are velocity mapped, so i’d Probably have 3 or more different templates, designated with a number or letter in the name of the hex tone, that would let me know the basic layout of the hex tone.  Otherwise you’re just guessing.  

Of course, if they were able to show all 6 hex tones and their names and volumes on one screen, that’d be killer.

Randy

• 9 months later...
On 10/4/2017 at 12:24 PM, Tson said:

3). Can any of the sliders be set up to always control Upper 1, Upper 2, Lower 1, Lower 2?  Going into the "Balance" sub-menu and adjusting is cumbersome and difficult to do live.  (Maybe using registration)?

I agree about the Balance menu being awkward. While there's no one perfect solution here, I found these alternate approaches that are usually better, with different ones being good in different circumstances:

* Define K1 and K2 to be volumes for your two primary sounds. You can't control all four this way, but if you're playing just two (or only two you would commonly need to adjust the volume of), this gives you the best immediate access. (And if you don't exceed three total sounds, the combination of the two K knobs and the master volume essentially give you the ability to balance all three.)

* Do your live sound selection from the TONE screen instead of the MAIN screen. Then you can edit any of the four volumes by hitting it's SELECT, EDIT, VOLUME and then the knob. It's 3 clicks before the knob, although just 2 if you happen to need to adjust the volume of the sound that is already Selected. In terms of total effort, it's very similar to going to the Balance menu, but what I like is that you select the sound you want to adjust based on the name of the sound, which I think is better than on the Balance screen, where you select the sound by its location. My brain says "bring up the Strings," not "bring up Upper 2" so this works better for me.

* Instead of the Balance screen, go to the Mixer screen. This is great because, as soon as you go to the screen (without even hitting another button) you can immediately use the first four sliders to be your parts 1-4 volume controls, and the screen also tells you the names of the sounds assigned to each. Drawback is that the Mixer function is located on the second Menu screen instead of the first, adding a slow swipe to the process. Also, when in this mode, you lose the use of the Sliders for other functions (drawbars, hexlayer levels). (ETA: You can avoid the slow swipe by a tap on the arrow, but better yet, you can move the Mixer screen on to the first page!)

* I haven't tried this, but if you can build the combination of sounds you want inside a hexlayer, you should be able to use the sliders to balance the individual parts in real time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, anotherscott said:

Define K1 and K2 to be volumes for your two primary sounds. You can't control all four this way

The mixer and sliders is best, but there is a way to balance two sounds with one knob.  Upper 1 and 2 can be on K1 and lower 1 and 2 can be on K2 (or upper 1 and lower 1 on a single knob, however you want it) because each knob has two targets.  Reverse the min max values for one target and that will create a balance knob between the two sounds.  

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
On 10/4/2017 at 1:32 PM, Allanon said:

Hi @Tson

1) the sliders utilize "jump" method, it could be really usefull if a "catch" method will be implemented!

When on the Mixer screen, besides having the sliders activated, you can also tap the volume you want to adjust on the screen and then use the Value knob... which is nice because that's an endless controller and always adjusts from the current position, no volume jumps.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Hello BradS:

You said: "The mixer and sliders is best, but there is a way to balance two sounds with one knob.  Upper 1 and 2 can be on K1 and lower 1 and 2 can be on K2 (or upper 1 and lower 1 on a single knob, however you want it) because each knob has two targets.  Reverse the min max values for one target and that will create a balance knob between the two sounds." 

I would like to know how do I switch K1 or K2 to engage their #2Targets?  

If I would like K1 to have Reverb for Target#1 and Delay for Target#2, how do I choose on the Main screen? 

I tried to push the knobs, I tried to advance them CCw & CW to uncover a click of some sort.  I tried making the #1Target NoAssign so I could use K1 for Target#2-Delay.  The MAin screen is only showing me K1: No Assign.  What happened to my #2Target?  How do I make use of the 2 assigned targets?

Please and Thank you.

Ronieaz in Oregon  

•  

I think I understand my confusion now.  I thought Parameter 1 & 2 would give me two functions to choose from.  I didn’t know how to activate the knobs to give me those choices.

What I see now is, the ControlKnob can perform two functions with different parameters in parallel.  In essence the MZX K1 & K2 knobs are equivalent in function to the SuperKnob on Montage.  Turning one knob can change two effects in tandem or opposing values. 

Thanks again, BradS.

Ronieaz in Oregon