Next Generation MZ-X wish list

Tson

On 21/10/2017 at 2:24 PM, Lobbard said:

Enjoy much of  what my Casio MZ-X500  offers but looking to keep things simple as possible on this rather complex instrument.   My advice would be to Casio: 

Please look after your bread-and-butter customers first,  those who like making music but who are not hi-tech experts, and whose busy lives preclude burying their noses in not-so-helpful owner manuals.

In other words,  don't be stingy,  Casio, let's have loads more video tutorials.  Not surprised that no UK shop is stocking the MZ-X500 / 300. 

Also disappointed that Mr Mike Martin of Casio (Marketing Director?),  has again taken premature bows  (Facebook) on promises he makes for forthcoming tutorials on the MZ-X500.  

Is it just me, or are these so-called 'Webinarse'  sessions  (pardon spelling)  seem rather tedious in the viewing?   Trying picking the helpful hints from an hour-long mixed bag of chat is hard work IMO.

I wonder if someone at Casio has been promoted above their abilities. (the Peter Principle)?   Why cannot Casio higher management recognize this basic error:   to  produce an incredible Flagship arranger / synth, like the MZ-X500, then allow it to flop down flat over the lack of basic customer support!  

That's my two-penneth and my personal opinion. :)

Friend here we do not have what to complain about Casio Brazil because they have a great number of tutorials in YOU TUBE

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Silvano Silva said:

Friend here we do not have what to complain about Casio Brazil because they have a great number of tutorials in YOU TUBE

Thanks for posting the link,  Silvano.  Although I don't speak the language,  it is refreshing to see a no-nonsense tutorial without the flannel.   And I see lots of other MZ-X tutorials on YouTube by the same gent. 

Jealous much? - you bet I am.  :)  

Sticking to updating firmware only, on the current hardware , another pretty easy suggestion regards Registration Memories:  assume you improve some of your Registrations and you want to save it over the older version. It would be nice to be sure which memory it was (as to avoid overwriting another good registration)... Currently, the original registration memory is lit until you modify it, turning off as soon as you change a registration element. It would be nice if it started to blink instead, indicating it was modified, so that you'll know where to save the change without mistake...

5 minutes ago, DIAA said:

Sticking to updating firmware only, on the current hardware , another pretty easy suggestion regards Registration Memories:  assume you improve some of your Registrations and you want to save it over the older version. It would be nice to be sure which memory it was (as to avoid overwriting another good registration)... Currently, the original registration memory is lit until you modify it, turning off as soon as you change a registration element. It would be nice if it started to blink instead, indicating it was modified, so that you'll know where to save the change without mistake...

It already does this.  The registration slot that was edited starts flashing when the store button is held.  Are you sure you're firmware is up to date?

2 hours ago, BradMZ said:

It already does this.  The registration slot that was edited starts flashing when the store button is held.  Are you sure you're firmware is up to date?

That's best thing I could hear :)

I'll check, it's probably not up to date or I'd have noticed that.

Thanks BradMZ

Still regarding the firmware for current MZ hardware, another hint is to move the control area of the assignable knobs (K1 & K2) to the right on the screen, so that they lay above the corresponding knobs. By this move, the touch control on screen would double as LABELs, intuitively identifying the assigned function.

No need for additional changes in the screen design, except rotating the Phrase control to the far left (please check attached picture).

Currently, driven by the screen, I often reach the Value willing to actuate K1 (or reach K1, when willing K2).

This small change would help, specially when playing in the dark.

IMG_3302.jpeg.76e36f91de9bcda62559d98b447dd02f.jpeg

On 10/21/2017 at 3:36 PM, BobbyC said:

I'll keep it simple.

More keys with better feel.

Make the sliders assignable.

More DSP's so when sequencing many tracks you're not limited to 2 DSP's for the whole mix.

Give the assignable footswith all the parameters available on the PX5s.

Especially the on/off time settings.

I'd just like to echo 2 of BobbyC's suggestions:
- Make sliders assignable: MZ's flexible architecture allows wonderful dreams around on the fly control. It would be great to widen usability of the sliders;
- Give the assignable foot-switch all the parameters available on the PX-5S - one immediate hint could be control the rotary-speakers speed.

On 10/31/2017 at 2:55 PM, BradMZ said:

Yes, Brad, that's the best thing I could hear :) and you're right, an update provides the upgrade you mention.

That way, it definitely helps in the motivating example I gave.

However, if the memory button started blink when you make a change (instead of when the SAVE button is pressed only), I'd see 2 additional benefits:

- a reminder that the Registration was modified and not saved (while telling you where to save in case you want it to replace the older content);

- guide you back if you'd like to return to the original registration, when you temporarily changed anything live on a performance.

Just hints from my own feelings...

PS: in order to avoid excessive distractions from a blinking panel, the blink rate could be sync'd with the tempo blink.

Still regarding just firmware changes for current hardware:

imagine that when creating a new registration, you must change the split point, the chord input type, the harmonizing type and other features to those values you use/like more.

Now imagine that it happens in most of the times you do that.

Wouldn’t be nice to be able to tell the system: please redefine defaults for such features to "this, that and those" values?

So another hint, still for the current hardware, is to add an item in the SYSTEM SETTINGS menu to allow the user to set “default” values for selected features. Factory would initialize those values with their current defaults, but users would have access to change such defaults to their best fit, so that those features would come pre-adjusted to the user taste when building a registration to be saved into the Registration Banks.

Briefly touching ideas for a new hardware, I'd love to have a touch sensitive area right below the keyboard so that you might trigger something with your thumbs when you have both hands busy on the keys...

That could be truly useful to trig a rhythm fill-in or advance a variation sequence step, insert a break, start a fade, etc.

It could conveniently allow 2 of such features, since this touch-bar could be split into 2 areas, for convenient use of right and left thumbs.

I guess it would feel more ergonomic than hitting an assignable pedal when you're standing up, while leaving the pedal free for additional demands.

PS: kindly let me know if I'm not making myself understandable, here or in any other of my posts. I'll be more than happy to clarify what I meant. I'm trying to make myself short and I'm not a good communicator :)

On 10/31/2017 at 5:46 PM, DIAA said:

Still regarding the firmware for current MZ hardware, another hint is to move the control area of the assignable knobs (K1 & K2) to the right on the screen, so that they lay above the corresponding knobs. By this move, the touch control on screen would double as LABELs, intuitively identifying the assigned function.

No need for additional changes in the screen design, except rotating the Phrase control to the far left (please check attached picture).

Currently, driven by the screen, I often reach the Value willing to actuate K1 (or reach K1, when willing K2).

This small change would help, specially when playing in the dark.

IMG_3302.jpeg.76e36f91de9bcda62559d98b447dd02f.jpeg

I did update MZ's firmware to Version 1.50 and I'm extremely happy to share, that's already done.

Kindly check the control labels right over the corresponding knobs at the new version screen below.

Thank you Casio!
That was a learning to me: before dreaming for some improvement, I should be less cautious and consider updating fw to the latest version.

It may be already there !

Cheers !!!

IMG_3989.JPG

• 2 months later...

Well, the wait is over (NAMM 2018) and we all know now that Casio did NOT release anything new in the MZ-X line.  :banghead::(.  Too bad.  As good as the MZ is, it could be so much better.  I think I now believe some of the comments that Casio is just not interested in competing with Roland, Korg or Yamaha with a pro-level product with updated tones and modern intricate rhythms.  IMHO, Casio created a "one-off" niche product, (exciting to many) but decided not to promote it, market it, support it, or improve it.  (You can't even find one to demo ANYWHERE).  Instead, Casio is interested in the sub $500 "toy" keyboard market.

So many of the great ideas for the MZ-X presented on this forum were apparently just filed away somewhere in the Casio vault instead of pushing the MZ to a NEW pinnacle.  Instead of raising the bar, they just ignored it.  Too bad.  The MZ is such a unique instrument that has even greater potential, (maybe through software updates), but I'm not holding my breath. This forum and it's members are the absolute greatest support group, thanks to the genius of BradMZ, Rick, Mike and others.  So, those of us who wanted to see a new release of the MZ-X, and some needed improvements, will lean on them, and the hope of a distant future release.  I'm done whining.  (I guess I will go out and buy one now...if I can find one).  :mellow:  

• Like 1

RICK - So sorry to be "thick" dear friend, but I don't understand the inference of your: "This!" ? 

I think I'm well into the age-range of being able to claim premature senility Rick, so I think there's actually a law that says you HAVE to excuse me if I AM being stupid! 😄 😄

Take it easy

Chris

Well they haven't released anything new in the MZ-X line YET in 2018. It doesn't have to be a new board this fast, I agree.

There could be new firmware for the

MZ-X line still. Also, could have new Sample Manager Software, it's still January so let's hope something new does come for the MZ-X now within this year.

I'd like for the MZ-X line to offer a sampler/drum machine/sequencer device that utilizes Hex Layers and other familiar features from the MZ-X.

I will gratefully settle for a Sample Manager Software upgrade and a os firmware upgrade.

At least that would confirm that Casio hasn't abandoned support and labor to current MZ-X models.

• 2 months later...
53 minutes ago, Rick Sterling said:

Sorry, you are asking the wrong person about Pads. As I just posted in another thread, I haven't yet grasped the ins and outs of MX500 Pads so I have basically ignored them til now. ;-)

What lack of improvements to the MZ-X 
More user databases 16  waves import to pads is little for looping Machine. And Banks A B C D E F .... 
More banks to record users 12x8 is absurd. 
Smart timing. Stop-START Rhythms ON BUTTON. 

Yamaha created the S670 guitar loops on rhythms. Casio couldget it.

Casio does not save changes to the Mixer in real time with the rhythm channel.

Can I record a video with my Roland E-50 and the Casio MZ-X300 showing what could be included for improvement.

4 minutes ago, Silvano Silva said:

What lack of improvements to the MZ-X 
More user databases 16  waves import to pads is little for looping Machine. And Banks A B C D E F .... 
More banks to record users 12x8 is absurd. 
Smart timing. Stop-START Rhythms ON BUTTON. 

Yamaha created the S670 guitar loops on rhythms. Casio couldget it.

Casio does not save changes to the Mixer in real time with the rhythm channel.

Can I record a video with my Roland E-50 and the Casio MZ-X300 showing what could be included for improvement.

I'm sorry, but what does all this have to do with my comment? Please do not high-jack my responses to other users to promote your agenda. It's very rude.