Video Files on Forum ×

Keep MZ X500 or Tyros 5?

moontom

Seems like a ridiculous question but....

I like the MZ a lot for basic sounds and some arranger functions. not impressed by the (much-discussed) half-baked nature of some of its features, and also not crazy about the lack of tutorial support for phrase sampling, seq., etc. 

I have the chance to get a used T5 at a great price. I use yamaha styles (kept an old PSR for this purpose) and am seriously considering. home use only, so weight is not a factor. this would allow me to eliminate a little used PSR in my rig, and give me the good yamaha keybed. (I like the Casio keys just fine).

some of the factors in the decision....

hard to resell the Casio

uncertainty about OS update/feature improvements on Casio

the hex and sound creation on Casio is a plus -- Tyros is basically about presets

better array of drum kits and perc sounds in T5

no arpeggiator in T5 

straightforward Yamaha sequencer operation (tho the 4-bar loop creation thing is tricky on both)

looking for thoughts from those who have played both....at this point I'm leaning toward keeping the Casio and hoping they support it a bit more in the future....

thanks

TM

I would say, get the Tyros 5..

A much better machine in my opinion, surely the Casio has great stuff inside, but it's still a Casio, and i know this is a Casio forum, but let's all agree that casio's unfortunately have very little value when it comes to the 2ndhand market, unless we talk about the MT-68, SK-1, VL-tone, stuff like that..

But why not see if you can also keep the Casio by it's side? You can combine best of both worlds!

You really can't fully compare the T5 to the MZ-X500 straight across the board.  The price points of both keyboards are thousands apart.  IMO, Casio designed a product that brought many high level features to the lower to middle end market with a really good and feature packed board.  The sound engine in the Tyros series are far more advanced than most arranger boards on the market, but Casio did up the ante with the engine in the newer MZ-X boards.  The Hex Layer feature is a good addition and the fact that you can import your own samples to create tones is also a plus.  That is something you can't do with the bigger boys.  Yamaha has the Super Articulation and Mega Voice functions which are far superior than most boards on the market today.  But, you're also paying for that technology!  A more fair comparison to the T4/T5 would be the Korg PA series or even the Roland boards.  The new Genos is unreal, but at $5000 plus...holy #$%#$!!!

I (personally) would like to see Casio do a bit more in the feature category by adding another DSP for vocal harmony effects since there is a dedicated MIC input and also expanding the keyboard to 76 notes, but that's me.  There were also a lot of other good suggestions listed on another topic for which I will not go into detail here.  But, remember...more features add cost even though most are software related functions.  In order to keep the price point of the MZ-X series close to where they are, that has to be taken into account.

I had a T4 and sold it because I found myself using the MZ-X500 more and more.  I still have my PSR-S900 and also use it extensively with the MZ-X500.  The blending of both boards along with the XW-P1, WK-6600 and Bass Station 2 are phenomenal.  There isn't much that can't be done.  So again and IMO, keep the MZ-X and buy the T5 too!!

Thanks a lot....you're right about the nutty comparison. but what you said about using the MZ more b/c it's more playable -- that resonates w/ me. the Tyros sounds are really good, in that glossy Yamaha way. I just don't click with them esp w/ pianos and EPs. every time I think about the Tyros I think I'd have to get the vintage keys expansion and by then I'm like, lemme just play the MZ. didn't expect that!

now, I wish the acoustic bass was better and I've got a longish wishlist for MZ updates but there are workarounds....using Compression effect on the acoustic basses (even the GM one) helps a lot!

thanks for the input!

TM