Video Files on Forum ×

Any PX-5s successor yet in 2018?

BeowulfX

Seriously though, there is the closest approximation of a Highland pipe I've ever heard in the Ensoniq TS-12 which when I initially heard it struck me dumb. Why, I have no idea but it is there and it must have been a multi-sample since it sounds close to the multiple reed tones that come out of one of these beasts, there is a demo tune that uses it one one of the floppies it came with.

You need the bass drone, two tenor drones roughly a fifth from the fundamental and the chanter which spans (loosely) an octave-none of these will be exactly in tune with anything else. this is why you don't generally hear say a bagpipe/string quartet, woodwind ensemble or anything else. Maybe a tympani duo or a really good kazoo player.  I know, I play one. Seriously. Now you know.

Sort of like playing an accordion that you have to blow into, but pump the bellows at the same time, and it will never be exactly in tune with anything else. Not for the faint-hearted. Certainly not if you have perfect pitch, you will go mad, i promise you. I usually can only play it for about fifteen minutes before I get nosebleeds, hypertension and vertigo. i like that though.....:huh::beer:

But truly there is nothing so powerful as hearing a close-order drill of serious pipers inside. These used to be the front line in military battles, used to frighten the enemy. it is a formidable sound and I'm not joking there.  Just maybe not on a PX5s.

• Like 1

Seems like the discussion here has deteriorated from a wish list for a new Previa pro, to something about bag pipes and the Scotts. I like their single malts myself. But regarding the wish list, I believe most people choose the 5s because it is an incredibly light (26 lb) controller with a good piano action. The sounds may be a nice perk, but no single synth is going to give you all the sounds you might want or need for a cover band act. You will need to bring to the gig at least one more synth, and don't discount the virtual instrument possibilities today. There are tons of killer virtual instruments such as the Spectrasonics KeyScape and even some great, spot-on B3 virtuals that are stable enough to use live with a very modest laptop. And then you have Midi-Kuper (software), which can bring as many synths as you care to take to a gig together into a single interface so it seems like you're playing out of just one synth, but from any controller you want. This is ideal if you are gigging because you do not have to mess with setting up sounds on more than 1 synth as you go from song to song. It will do it all for you.

Having said that, the 5s does have some great sounds, especially the pianos, the clav, strings and others. And the greatest feature is that it is multitimbral. So then, when you consider that the 5s can provide 4 sound channels simultaneously (on 4 different MIDI channels), you can set up your 3 most favorite on 3 of those channels, and have the 4th one as a channel where you can use program-change to change up the sounds. Next, you must have some way to play layer one (say the piano) on the 5s keyboard, while being able to access the strings or organs on the other channels from another synth-action keyboard at the same time. Then you can quickly switch up your stage sounds in seconds and direct your upper synth-action controller talk to any of these 4 sounds through Midi-Kuper. So if you need a synth action for a clav sound, but you want to use the GREAT clav sound in the 5s, you can easily do it live.

So all in all, in spite the fact its tone-wheel organs are not the best, you really do not want to be playing a B3 on a piano action. It just does not come off well. Same with a Clavinet, which has (the real one) a very short and light action. Again I am coming back to the point that you cannot make the 5s, or any other synth, your do-it-all synth, but it can be a true asset on a gig if you augment its capabilities with additional synths and software to manage it all.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Just to clarify a point here. This thread was started in October 2017 and a couple of Forum members mentioned that it's been four years since the launch of the PX5-S.

https://www.japanbullet.com/technology/casio-launches-worlds-first-battery-powered-stage-piano-pivia-pro-px-5s

The article mentions the day of the PX5-S launch (26th January 2013) which is actually five years this coming 2018 Winter Namm.

I sincerely hope Casio finally decide to produce a new successor to brilliant PX5-S.

With keyboards like the Kurzweil SP6 selling for under £1,000 U.K. it will have tough competition.

Fingers crossed.

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Sadly a replacement was not announced at NAMM 2018, but a big thank you to Mike Martin who replied to a post of mine on the Facebook users group informing us that no new stage pianos were being launched. He's a top guy and one of the reasons I'll stick with Casio for now. Obviously the other reason is that the PX5-S is still working extremely well for me.

Chris

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hello,

On 29/01/2018 at 2:38 PM, dc2k said:

Top feature on my wish list for me is quiet keys. 

Could not agree more, px-5s keyboard, like most cheap (never tried expensive ones) Casio keyboard I tried so far, has very noisy keys. I have tried a px 770 last week and it seems to be better. I hope px-5s successor will get 770 keyboard improvement.

And I hope it will support 3 pedals with half damping and maybe aftertouch.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

And the MX-Z series completely disappeared. The XWs are done, at least new production.

I suspect the pandemic is still creating problems-look at the chip shortage for automotive manufacturers, i wonder this is causing some music manufacturers to hesitate to release new instruments-there may be parts or manufacturing slowdowns elsewhere. Shortages of workers in certain industries must not e helping.

Roland DS-88 seemed closest to the PX5S, and doesn't look to be much of a step up and its already older. the new Kurzweils-well I'm not overly impressed as i stuy the specs and other user groups except for the Fortes which run big bucks-even the new KurzeilPC4 and PC4"SE" for almost 2X the PX5s price-still trying to see if the new lightweight key assemblies in these will hold up-since i believe they are using the Medeli actions in several of their newer 88-key models and I can't find any internal pics of the Kurzeil PC-4/PC4SE actions. The Fortes are using Fatar. My PX560 keys needing quieting but are holding up well after 3 years of fairly steady playing. I have yet to spring for the newest compact PX-S series so can't say but these are supposed to be an improved quieter key assembly. I still prefer my TP40 as a good compromise between a weighted piano action, and not overly resistant to organ runs, glisses etc. My old fusion has this, and it is definitely a quiet action relatively speaking for a weighted board and the TP40 is still being used by many weighted workstations-but quality control with Fatar-not always good, I've learned that first-hand and from other user groups.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, tuxfriend said:

Looks more like Casio dropped making a PX-5S successor. With the new tech and maybe a less plasticky build, for around 1200-1500 bucks, Casio could have a winner. Oh, and get rid of that awful display ...

The PX-S6000 would make a great platform for the PX-5S successor.  🤔

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Love 2

22 hours ago, Mike Martin said:

The PX-S6000 would make a great platform for the PX-5S successor.  🤔

Mike, do you happen to know if there is anything going on regarding any 76-key development? There is nothing in the current lineup. The CT-S line sounds and looks great, but there is no 76-key version, the same with the PX-S lineup.

• 3 months later...

It's been years now.... My PX5S is still going but has been banged up due to too many gigs! I need a new keyboard for controlling MainStage. It would be great to get a new Privia. I'm hoping they bring something out otherwise I will probably go with a weighted MIDI controller or something like the Kurzweil PC4.

Try to find out more about the new Kurzweil PC4 key mechanism-I've hesitiated to go for this one as I found evidence it has a flimsy M3edeli design that will not hold up well-I think they are no longer using their own or Fatar key actions anymore, but the K2700 has the better Fatar TP40, wghcih seems to strike the right balance between a weighted action for pianos, and a not overly heavy action for organ and other faster riffs. I have been trying to find feedback from other user groups in order to compare these newer workstations to the Casios.. the Kurzweil K2700-what the next Casio "stage piano/workstation" might look like if I had my choice. Or as Mike said-I slightly stepped-up 560 with the newest Casio Privia piano actions, and gice us a choice between 76 or 88 key weighted keys, like the old Ensoniqs did. Those were older Fatar TP-10 actions and were certainly "clunkier" than the newer Fatars or Casios.

Edited by Jokeyman123

Good news for us. My friend - first, he is a professional piano player and gigging musician in the SF Bay Area has played a PX-5S for years and moved on to the PC4. He also has an Avant Grand at his house. He said the PC4 keybed was better than the PX-5S. He said the feel was tighter with less slop. I trust him since he is a professional and I know he's picky.

I'm also trying to see if the Arturia Keylab 88 Mkii action is any good. I've heard it's heavy to press so that's bumming me out. The PX-5S has dropped in price and I guess I could purchase another but I wish there was a successor.