Hi to all,

Please let me introduce my Occasional Tunes project which is dedicated to vintage Casio keyboards of the early 1980s. The main idea was to limit myself to the sounds and functions of the Casiotones of the years 1981–1983. Therefore the instruments used in this four volume compilation include Casiotones MT-45, MT-65, PT-30 and the Casio VL-Tone. I played all the music with these keyboards only; no loopers, samplers or outboard sequencers were used. However, I coloured the sound by using analogue and digital effect units of which many date back to the 1980s. A digital multitrack recorder was used to capture individual tracks which were then edited in software environment before the final digital mixing and analogue mastering.

The pieces on this compilation were recorded during 2015–2017 but some of the melodies and other musical ideas have haunted me for years. I didn’t want to limit myself with the musical styles and genres. In a musical sense, I found it liberating to start playing with Casio rhythms and sounds, letting the instruments lead me to structures, scales and chords. Not surprisingly, many of the final tracks reminded me of the music I used to listen in the early 1980s. It was a combination of new wave and synth pop, movie soundtracks, ambient, industrial and experimental music, Berlin school electronic music and krautrock of the 1970s, and even funk, reggae and disco of the late 1970s and early 1980s.

All the best
PG-6659e2305f9d0e3_PG-66BandCampCASIOHeader.png.5e3afe3a423034222148e0348696dfda.png

Links to downloadable digital albums BandCamp
Occasional Tunes Vol.1 - Sights and Vibes
Occasional Tunes Vol.2 - Smooth and Mellow
Occasional Tunes Vol.3 - Away and Back

Occasional Tunes Vol.4 - Echoes and Reflections

Link to some demos @ SoundCloud
Pertti Grönholm @ SoundCloud

Edited by PG-66
Just correcting the language.
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Great job! I totally understand the way of letting these Casios to guide you. Last year I played (with my friends) semi-live accompaniment for silent movie, and most of the composing started just from switching between sounds and presets. 15 Casios on stage, including DH-100 sax and EG-5 guitar.

IMG_7529.JPG

• Like 1

• 1 month later...