Video Files on Forum ×

Touchscreen Problems and Registration Question

jay1231

Hi all, 

I've just bought a PX560 and find the touchscreen to be really temperamental. The buttons to the right of the touchscreen don't seem to be working properly, they either don't react when i press them, or for example when I press the Exit button the screen will scroll down. Also sometimes when i'm scrolling down to try and select a tone by the fourth or fifth press it will go back to the main screen. I have tried with a rubber tipped stylus which seems to improve the situation, the screen will react properly 90-95% of the time .

Does anyone have any suggestions ? or do you think I have a faulty keyboard and should take it back ?

Also does anyone know how to store different tuning's in Registrations ? I have created a Bagpipe Hex Layer tone A-465.9Hz Pythagorean tuning, is there a way i can store this tuning so I don't have to go into system settings and change tunings each time i call up this patch ? I've gone into the Registration Screen and turned System Settings Off,  however the tuning Settings do not change when I call up the Bagpipe registration. 

Have you ever tried the touchscreen elsewhere such as a store model? (The PX-360, CGP-700, and MZ-X series all have it as well.) I'm wondering if it's the touchscreen on yours or the way you're interacting with it. It's a little different than the touchscreen on smart phones, and I find that the angle you approach it can be important.

According to the manual the tuning frequency and the temperament is only saved if the "Auto Resume" option (B) is on. But they will not be stored as part of a registration - that would be indicated by option (C). Not being able to store the temperament and tuning settings to a registration makes absolutely no sense. The same applies to the acoustic model config which is also not saved with a registration. 

As Joe Muscara as said, the touchscreen is not what you find on a mainstream smartphone. These use resistive touchscreens whereas the 560 uses a capacitive touchscreen which is much less responsive. Try to use just the tip of  one finger to "click" on the screen or on the menu buttons - and yes,  the menu buttons on the side are too small. But not drag your finger, use multiple fingers or try doing gestures. 

image.png.ccbeb13c6f62bf05efc5220a68f47258.pngimage.png.9e2ed85f7a38f75379433d41f5a6a7fb.png

"These use resistive touchscreens whereas the 560 uses a capacitive touchscreen which is much less responsive."

Most smartphones today actually use capacitive touchscreens, which are generally much more responsive than resistive touchscreens. 

http://www.knowyourmobile.com/products/7401/touchscreen-lowdown-capacitive-vs-resistive (note date of article: 2010!)

https://techexplainer.wordpress.com/2012/04/02/resistive-vs-capacitive-touchscreen/

To my knowledge Casio has not specified what kind of touchscreen it uses in its keyboards. As a test, try touching it with thin gloves. If you can get a response at all then it is almost surely resistive. If you can't it is likely capacitive. I haven't tried this test because I haven't really cared: I've never had any problems using my PX-560's touchscreen and I also use a smartphone and an iPad, both with capacitive touchscreens, every day.

Hi AlenK. I mixed up capacitive with resistive. Sorry for that and thanks for the correction. But my point was not about the technology behind the touch screen but about the interaction with the interface. The fact is that the 560 has low responsiveness when compared to many mainstream electronic devices that use touch screens, especially smartphones and tablets. And yes, the screen is pressure based (resistive) as the air gap between the layers is visible and it can be operated with a non-conductive object.

This is all about expectations. There are user segments that may not expect to find nowadays the same kind of user interface experience they got from a 15 year old sat-nav/GPS device. Unless you for some reason assume that all user segments should have very low expectations regarding the interface of digital keyboards. Nevertheless, I do find the 560's interface to be adequate and I also do not have problems with it. It is just a pity that the 560 does not exploit the potential capabilities of such an interface as those could have been a major differentiating feature.

I would say your 560's screen is not representative. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's defective because I don't know Casio's manufacturing tolerances. But if it were mine I would be complaining to Casio. The screen on my 560 is VERY responsive, especially considering it is, as you point out and my own quick tests confirm, a resistive screen. For me it takes very little pressure - almost none at all - for a finger press to be recognized as a button push. Swiping takes a little more force to register but only a little bit. The 560's screen acts about as close to a capacitive screen in its responsiveness as a resistive screen is likely to get, IMO. (Which is why I could not definitively say it was resistive without testing.)

Regarding the design of the UI, exactly what were you expecting or hoping for? I find Casio's touchscreen UI to be easy to use. The visual appearance is obviously plain, granted, but visual simplicity is actually an advantage for a keyboard screen. Your brain should be thinking "play music" not "How do I do that again?" Korg's touchscreen UI as implemented on the Kronos and Krome, for example, I find to be overly busy, with too much crammed on most of the screens, even given their much larger sizes. I actually have some experience designing embedded UI's (for projection displays, not music keyboards) and I think Casio did a decent job with this one. To use a baseball analogy they didn't hit it out the park but rather did a nice, solid ground ball that gets the runner on base. 

• 1 month later...

I just received my Privia 560M from Guitar Center, and right out of the box the touchscreen buttons just to the right of the screen do not respond when I press them.

It appears that Casio has either a smattering of LCD screens with touch sensors that are misaligned or they are completely unresponsive.   

This issue is being experienced by other consumers and is not a one-time incident.  One gentleman uploaded a video recently on YouTube to show the same problem I am having.   Hopefully, Casio will address this soon.

Looks like it’s back into the box and then shipping back to Guitar Center.  Disappointing.  I’m sort of hesitant to order a replacement now, as I can’t help but wonder how many other 560’s snuck past Casio’s quality control measures undetected.  

• 1 year later...

Brand new to this forum. Has anyone performed the calibration? If so, did you have good results. One question I have is how would calibrating the touch screen potentially brick the board?  I acquired a very gently used PX 560 from a church a couple days ago to replace my workhorse PX330 that I bought when they first came out,  and while the touchscreen works fine, it seems the touch locations are somewhat off.

Not hard.I don't think it will brick anything and I'm an experienced "bricklayer" having bricked my XW-P1 many moons ago, restored by Casio.

I did it just for giggles to see how it works. Not that I needed to, mine has been perfect from day one. Can't say what the results were because my screen was already calibrated but wanted to see just in case it happens. It certainly didn't un-calibrate it. I say just do it.

To compare-I have 3 useless Chinese tablets on which the screens failed completely (what did I expect). Being a technonerd-I tried replacing the screens on each one-and dived deep into the operating systems to try to change settings at the programming level, still couldn't crack any of these. Now the one is upside down and backwards despite every tech calibration possible on this, good if I were dyslexic but I'm not-yet! The other one works but is always about one inch off (yay if you're astigmatic I guess) and the third is only reversed-I say only because the other is reversed and 180 degrees off-the top is the bottom-its always upside down whether screenlock is on or off! I didn't think these things were possible but there we are.  So Casio so far is batting in cleanup-compared to these.  I ordered the right screens-for all these off Alibaba but I think the firmware must still be in Chinese-since the Chinese I believe read right to left and from bottom to top? That's the best I can come up with. One other thing-years back I had all the Casio Cassiopeia handheld organizers-look them up-and I'd swear these had the same screens as the PX360/560 CGP700-were way ahead of everybody else back then for screen technology-these were TFT screens-I think AlenK that means these were capacitive?  Unlike my Motion tablets which are electromagnetic and require an active pen to work. The Cassiopeias worked really well, I should have kept mine. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Jokeyman123.  As a matter of fact, after getting reassurance from a Casio tech service rep, I went ahead with the process. He said he had done it on his personal one and also the one in the lab. It was a piece of cake. Took me about 5 minutes and the difference is like night and day.  

• Like 2

Excellent! The more I play the PX560, the better it sounds! And the touchscreen is pretty amazing-I have a little practice routine-where I set up a bunch of functions and try to see how fast I can get from one to another-cant do this on any of my older boards as seamlessly as on the 560. Jumping from tone, to rhythm, to mixer, to balance etc. a breeze. Can lay down and record a multitrack in a few minutes. I'm recording 2 Allmann Brothers songs-"One Way Out" (no vocal I'm no Gregg Allmann) and  "Jessica" AKA known as the "Topgear" opening theme-working on the full arrangements-with 2 drum tracks-trying to get that dual drummer sound not easy,  but amazing what this is sounding like hard to dupe the guitar parts which can never really duplicate those great Allmann Brothers guitar tones with a piano keyboard-might have to record that as an audio file with my guitars.  Will upload when I'm done.

• Like 1