Video Files on Forum ×

CTK-900 Transferring midi Rhythms

SarahB

Hello everyone,

I'm a little stuck on how to transfer midi files to my keyboard. It doesn't have a usb port, but I have the midi ports. I'm confused as to how I can transfer Rhythm files to my keyboard from my computer. I have the files that I need, but I'm not sure how to copy the files over to my keyboard. 

Many thanks

Sarah B 

Sarah

Yes!  Your CTK-900 is one of the older Casio keyboards that uses what is called 5-Pin-DIN MIDI, as opposed to the newer USB MIDI, so to connect it to your computer, you will need a USB-MIDI Adapter cable:

41ziioTxGAL._AC_US218_.jpg

You can purchase these from various sources.  Amazon offers a wide selection for anywhere from a few dollars to upwards of $50, but the lower priced models are extremely unreliable.  I normally recommend the name barnds such as Yamaha, M-Audio, Roland-Edirol, etc. which run in the $40 to $50 range.  If you go with the lower priced models, I strongly recommend staying in the $15 to $20 and up range.  Many (most ?) of these devices are now "Class Compliant".  That is, they will work with the default "driver" software that has been built-in to the last several versions of Windows and MAC-OS, and do not require you to manually download and install "driver" software.  For those that do require special "driver" software, they will either come with that software on a CD-Rom, or will provide a URL from which you can download the software and installation instructions.

Once you have the USB-MIDI Adapter cable operating, you will need to download and install Casio's IDES (Internet Data Expansion System) file transfer software to exchange data with the CTK-900.  There are currently four versions of IDES software available for download, but higher version numbers are NOT upgrades or updates to earlier versions.  Rather, each version is strictly model specific.  In your case, the CTK-900 requires IDES 3, which can be downloaded from:

http://music.casio.com/e/data_ex3/before.html#software

Now, all of this said, be advised, before you invest in a USB-MIDI Adapter cable: if you are running a MAC or an older Windows computer with Windows - XP(SP2), Vista, or Win-7, you are pretty much assured of success, but if you are running a newer computer with Windows 8 or 10, you may have some problems - somewhat with Windows 8 - more so with Windows 10.  There are just some combinations of computer hardware models and Windows 8 or 10 that have problems with USB-MIDI.  For this reason, I strongly recommend purchasing any USB-MIDI cable from a retailer that has a liberal return/refund policy, particularly for the higher priced adapters.  Also, if you have a newer computer with USB-2 and USB-3 ports, the Adapter cable should be connected to a USB-2 port, as USB-3 can attempt to run too fast for USB-MIDI, and cause problems.

If you decide to proceed with this, we will be here to assist you, as needed, along the way.

Good luck !

• 5 months later...

Hi, T,

I saw your post on the CDK-900 midi connection to a Windows 10 computer: there may be problems! I just got my CDK-900 (second hand), and when i plugged in the Midi cable, USB MIDI Cable Interface, OIBTECH Upgrade Professional MIDI to USB IN-OUT Cable Converter For PC/Mac/Laptop 2M(6.5FT) (RED)  from Amazon, the computer signalled that it was properly connected. But it would not show up on my MuseScore2 software.

Any suggestions, or should I just return the cables and assume they are incompatible?

Thanks for your help!

Rick Russell

Rick

One review I read for the OIBTECH adapter stated that once it is connected, you should open your software's (MuseScore2) MIDI device selection menu, and select "USB Audio Device", but that is the typical display generated by Windows XP for all such devices, whether they are MIDI or audio,  and shows XP's rudimentary approach to this technology, in its day.  This makes me suspect that the reviewer may have been an XP user.  If that is the case, it is difficult to say how this adapter will show up in the MIDI device selection menus of software running on more recent Window's versions.  If you do, in fact, see "USB Audio Device", then select that, and you should be all set, but if you do not see that, you may have to resort to some experimentation by looking for an entry in MuseScore's MIDI Device selection menu that is there when the adapter is connected, and absent when it is not connected.  If you do not see anything when the adapter is connected, then there are obviously other problems, but incompatibility problems normally occur at the computer hardware or at the operating system level, not at the software program level.  That is, if the lights on the device and the Windows operating system indicate a complete connection, the software will normally work.  I recommend downloading and installing a MIDI diagnostics program known as MIDI-OX.  If MIDI-OX sees MIDI data communication, then there is a good basic connection, and would indicate a problem with MuseScore, but if MIDI-OX does not show any MIDI data communication, then there is no actual connection at the hardware or operating system level, rather than a problem with MuseScore.  Some Windows-10/computer-hardware combinations can be a bit contrary with USB MIDI, both USB-to-USB connections and USB-to-5-pin-DIN adapters.

http://www.midiox.com/

On the MIDI-OX site, scroll down and click on Download: MIDI-OX 7.0.2

Good luck!

- T -

Thank you for the help, T!  This is what happened. I have a small new Keystation mini32 by M-Audio, which works fine with MuseScore2. I installed MIDI-OX as you suggested, and it showed both of of Midi keyboards, the mini32, and the 'USB midi' for the CDK-900, under the Option/MIDI Devices. But only the mini32 showed any input from the keyboard on the Input Monitor screen. The CDK-900, nothing. And nothing for the CDK-900 on MuseScore2 as well.

So since MIDI-OX shows no input from the CDK-900, I must conclude that there is a problem with the hardware connection, even though Windows 10 plays a 'device connnected' sound when I plug it in, and it shows up under 'Devices' on the Control Panel. I tried troubleshooting from the control panel, and it said it was connected to a USB 3.0 port even after i changed it to a USB 2.0 port (tried this multiple times, double checking the USB 2.0 port locations). So: there seems to be no way to get this keyboard connected to the computer (a Dell Optiplex 5040 with Windows 10) with this cable.

Can you suggest another cable that might work, or am I out of luck?

Thanks, Rick Russell

Well, T,

I went onto Casio's website to look at their midi cables, and what should it say but: "Attach the Out cable to the In receptacle on the CDK-900, and the IN Cable to the Out receptacle!

Who would have thought?? So i did, and it works!!

Thanks for your help!

Yours, Rick Russell

I thoroughly apologize for that, Rick.  I could have saved you all of that, but assumed that the instructions that came with the OIBTECH cable covered all of that for you.  At any rate, in the world of 5-pin-DIN MIDI, the connectors are labeled for what they ARE, that is, for what function they perform, NOT for what they connect to.  So, a MIDI-IN is an INPUT.  It needs to connect to an output (MIDI OUT) and vice versa, but it appears you have that all sorted already, and are in business.

BTW - for further discussion, your keyboard is a CTK-900, not a CDK-900.  That could make a difference, if you go searching for information on it.  CTK stands for CasioTone Keyboard, which is a long-time name for that entire model line.  If you did not get a manual with it, you can download a copy from here.

http://support.casio.com/manualfile.php?rgn=1&cid=008005019

I prefer PDF copies of manuals for Casio keyboards, since they do not include indexes.  EDIT/FIND searches with Adobe Reader are much quicker than thumbing through the pages.

Best of luck and much enjoyment with your "new" setup.

- T -

• 1 month later...