Video Files on Forum ×

B to B usb casio equipment connectivity

Leon Little

By "PD", I assume he means the XW-PD1.  I think he wants to connect his XW-P1 or XW-G1 to his XW-PD1, but since the XW-PD1 only has a USB-MIDI port (no 5-pin-DIN), he wants to use a B-to-B MIDI adapter so that he doesn't have to use a computer as a host, but I am having a hard time believing that this thing can really provide full hosting capabilities.

Leon

If you are planning on connecting two USB ports together without a computer or some other type of intelligent "hosting" device (computer, etc) between the two, then NO that will not work.

• Thanks 1

From what I understand, the biggest drawback with using a PD1 is that it can output clock signal, but it cannot receive it. That means in any rig, the PD1 has to be the master and all the other devices set to slave. Also, from what I have read, the PD1 was always designed to be the master in a stand-alone rig. I'm not sure quite how it would work any other way, or how it would work as part of a computer DAW set up. Have to say, the missing 5 pin MIDI sockets and the inability to receive clock signal really hurts the usefulness of the PD1. It has so much potential and is otherwise a powerful little beat/ rhythm/ sampler box.

• Thanks 1

It's going great! My objective is to use Casio XW-PD1 and CTK-6200 together with USB b to b recording directly into my keyboard 17 tracks ability. I'm sure I need a computer. I've been advised to use Audicy Free download to get all of my sounds recorded exactly how it comes out of the Casio.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/25/2017 at 7:10 PM, Chas said:

From what I understand, the biggest drawback with using a PD1 is that it can output clock signal, but it cannot receive it. That means in any rig, the PD1 has to be the master and all the other devices set to slave. 

Unless the PD1 got it in an update (which is entirely possible), the PD1 doesn't output clock either. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/29/2017 at 8:24 PM, Leon Little said:

It's going great! My objective is to use Casio XW-PD1 and CTK-6200 together with USB b to b recording directly into my keyboard 17 tracks ability. I'm sure I need a computer. I've been advised to use Audicy Free download to get all of my sounds recorded exactly how it comes out of the Casio.

As stated, the USB to USB method will not work. Not even sure if the CTK can record external MIDI into its sequencer.. (Can it, Ted?) Anyway, yes a multi-track audio program or hardware multitrack (Look at an Zoom R-16) will be the easiest way to go. Multitrack MIDI can be pretty tricky for a beginner and you'll soon be so frustrated it's no fun. 

• Thanks 1

I found the following reference   http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=17633.0

If the Midi connection is a USB B connector and no 5-pin DIN connectors, it means that the device is acting as a MIDI Host as far as the other equipment is concerned.  Think of it as being composed of a musical instrument with DIN connectors permanently wired to a MIDI controller that can be connected to a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW).  The Seville Soft units then appear to be networking the MIDI hosts.  The method for moving MIDI files to and from a Casio unit is specific to the model and not part of the basic interface specification  (as I understand it)  There is a MIDI manual that you can download from Casio that describes the process, but it would require lot of technical know-how and a lot of work.

When Audicy Free is mentioned, do you mean Audacity Free?  My understanding is that Audacity is an audio processing tool that you would feed from the audio output, not a MIDI processing tool.  A tool processing MIDI signals would be a Digital Audio Workstation.

In the example where you are using the device to connect to an iPhone, the iPhone software is the DAW.

I'm sorry if this is confusing.  However, the only method that I see for avoiding having to acquire a DAW is to build and program your own.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...