Video Files on Forum ×

DELETED-FILES ?? Nightmare ?? Help / Recover

Deleted full zip drive with 60+ Piano tracks... How can I recover them... Please Help! Overkill on-line info and sales pitches to get you to by software... Don't know what I need ... Glad to pay if recovered... 5-6 hours solid of original "No-Back-Up"" material. I have the New Casio cgp700 and use the media port... It just stated that media was full (last night) and as I've always had to separate, yet identical files I chose to erase one to free up space... BAM** They both freek'n disappear before my eyes... NO way did that just happen... When I first received my piano, I used the midi unit and had amassed 35+ files with two track recoeding... The unit syarted de-tuning a lot and making electronic buzz noise on the recordings... So I went back to factory presets... You got-it... Erased all recordings... I've been in music 30+ years... Keeping up with technology and trends is exciting and frustrating... I literally lost (If no one can help... 5 complete CD's of my best work. I teach piano all-over Seattle... ANY NEW FRIENDS WITH ANY IDEAS... Mean more than I could express... JAY *** vancamp_jay@yahoo

Hey Jay. Well sorry for your situation. As far as data recovery, I'd call around and explain your situation. I know when items are deleted from a hard drive, they are still there until the space is needed. Not sure with a USB drive, so again, I'd call (or email) around and see who seems best able to help you at the best cost. Good luck!

There are plenty of data recovery programs out there, many of them free or free for a certain amount of recovered data. I suggest trying iCare Data Recovery Free or the Pro version. The latter can recover more stuff and is free for the first 2GB of recovered data. 

I'm fairly certain that most flash based memory cards (USB, SD etc.) use similar file deletion principles to computers i.e. unless the media is given a full format, the data remains. Only the directory entries are removed during any 'delete' process. Even quick formats are similar in that they only delete the directory, not the actual data. A "full format" WOULD, however, delete all data, though luckily in Jay's case he hasn't done that.

Whether Casio used their own proprietary disk structure I am not sure, but hopefully it's pretty standard and most data recovery programs should be able recovery the data. Try Alen's suggestion, as being free you can see if it works before (if) you buy. You may not even need to recover more than 2gb of data as I know that most Casio Data files are quite small.

The most important thing right now is DO NOT USE THE MEDIUM! If you start writing any data to it in its 'deleted' state, you risk overwriting your lost data that is likely still there. 

To give you a bit of hope, I have rescued 'deleted' data on both USB and SD cards in the past so it should still be possible in your case.