Video Files on Forum ×

Expression pedal FCV100

Marcelo Viana

Just bought a behringer FCV100 expression and volume pedal control.

It comes, i plug it to the px 560, follow the instructions on the video  and nothing happens.

I don't know if the pedal is not working or the problem is on the piano, i don't even have other way to test it.

let's get it strait:

-The pedal is pluged to assignable connector(i also using a sustain pedal on the damper connector)

-On controler screen menu:

pedal type : exp. pedal

pedal edit : target: cc11 expression

minimum value : 000

maximum value: 127

upper one: on

upper two: on

lower one: on

lower two: on

any help from anyone that use this pedal or this configuration, if have any trick, maybe i miss something, please.

the video i get the instructions for:

I am not certain but the FCV100 likely isn't compatible with the 560. Online reviews I have read mention it being used in place of a Yamaha FC7. It looks like Behringer may have copied elements of the FC7 (down to the shape and size) and then added the volume circuitry (which isn't present on the FC7). IIRC Mike specifically states in the video above that the FC7 is not compatible. (That has been stated elsewhere too.)

PS. The volume control part of the FCV100, which modifies the volumes of up to two audio signals you pass through it, should work with almost any audio source, even the direct output from a guitar (the inputs have a relatively high impedance of 300Kohms). It's only the CV output that won't work with the PX-560.

• Thanks 1

Thank you for your reply Alenk.

well, if so what a waste, i just bought this pedal to use in my new px 560. How could i knew this pedal is Yamaha FC7 alike.

And from my point of view even FC7 should work, it's a workable controller pedal that have no problem in any other board, so is a Casio problem here.

isn't a buy that i can send back, so i have to take a loss and buy another one.

Does Casio have any list of expression pedal that works on Px 560?

At least will put some responsability on me to not look for, because if they don't, i'm sorry is all on them damn it.

It's hardly Casio's fault that the FCV100 and FC7 don't work. They won't work with a Roland keyboard either (go ahead and try). Is that Roland's fault too? The problem is, and this has been stated here before (so if you had bothered to search the forum on the subject of pedals before you bought you would have known), there is no actual standardization for pedals, just defacto standards because of the popularity of certain keyboard manufacturers. Yamaha is very popular. Roland is very popular. Curse them for not using the same circuit design but now curse all TV manufacturers for using their own remote-control codes and protocols, too. 

It looks like you didn't read your User's Guide, either. You know, that paper thing that came with your keyboard (or which you can download from Casio's website; search the forum for the link or Google it). Page EN-10 lists some compatible expression pedals. You can also add Moog's EP-3 to the list; that's the one I use. You can find a description of how to set the controls on it to make it work right here on this specific forum. I can also confirm that the Roland EV-5 works because I had one for a short time (I returned it in favor of the EP-3). People here say the M-Audio EX-P works too, which it should because electrically it's a clone of the EV-5. 

If it seems I'm being critical of your last reply here, well, I am. Sorry. You bought something that doesn't work and you can't return without even minimal research on the matter and now blame Casio for it. Man up, dude.  :P

• Thanks 1

Not problem to be critical at all Alenk. Telling the true, i'm happy to have you helping me on this matter.

I did said "if" casio don't have a list is their fault because no one must know what work and what doesnt.

So you're saying that the list is right on the manual, so the fault is on me.

Besides the fact that is my thought that any pedal should work on any keyboard.

What matters to me now is to know some that work for me to buy, you already did it, and since you have more experience, any preference?

thank you.

Yes, in an ideal world any pedal would work with any keyboard. Unfortunately, we don't live in that world.

Personally, I prefer the Moog EP-3 because it has a nice heft to it, the price was right and it says "Moog" on it. It shouldn't matter who makes it but I always wanted to own a Moog product. This technically qualifies (although surely it is actually made in China, unlike Moog synths). Alas, it is not a Moog synth. (If anyone wants to donate their Minimoog I'll take it off their hands. :D)

However, the EP-3 is NOT on Casio's list of pedals, despite it working just fine when set up properly. And physically it is higher than most other expression pedals, which may not be to your liking. The Roland EV-5 works well and sits a lot lower. But I found it a little flimsy feeling compared to the EP-3 and it is a lot more expensive (unless you find it on sale). People here have had good results with the M-Audio EX-P but I have never tried it.

Now, before you rush out and buy a replacement I have read that it is possible to modify the FCV100 to make it compatible with Roland keyboards (and hence also the PX-560). It might be as simple as rewiring the output connector to swap the wires going to ring and tip. Or make/modify an adapter cable to go between the pedal and the 560 that does the swapping. It also sounds like the pot has a different trim than the one in the EV-5 (logarithmic vs. linear) so the end result won't be the same. But it may work well enough. You say you can't return it anyway so it may be worth a try if you are at all handy with a soldering iron (me and soldering irons go way back). 

I own two Behringer products: the FCB1010 and the BCR-2000. The former has _two_ footpedals and they transmit MIDI, so that's another option (but much more expensive and physically much larger). Both products work well and they seem well made. I have nothing against Behringer products but even if the FCV100 worked with the PX-560 out of the gate I would not have bought it based on online reviews. But in your case it's a bird in the hand.   

• Thanks 1

you're totaly right, in the manual(now i did read kkkk) mention the wire showing the plug, so at least worth a try. i don't have a soldering iron, but i can buy one monday, too busy this weekend, i have a 2 metter cable just for this pedal so i'll change the wires on one of the plug.

For me this pedal is very nice and also cheap(well not the best word to describe any musical equipament), the feeling is great for me. Not that i have experienced any high end expression pedal, but works for me. if i can fix it just with a soldering iron will be for the best. If not i'll probably will go for EV-5, not a preference, just a market oportunity, here in Brazil where i live it sale a lot. I probably goes for it if have read the manual.

Again thank you Alenk.

• 9 months later...

Actually the FC7 should work because it is a TRS pedal, meaning that the wiper is wired to the tip of the plug. The FC7 does however have a logarithmic potentiometer rather than the required linear potentiometer, which means that the change heard will be bunched up at one end of the pedals travel, rather than being spread evenly. There is a list of pedals at www.expressionpedals.com that shows heaps of compatible pedals. Anything wired as TRS with a10k pot would be ok, though even higher values than 10K would probably be ok too.

• Like 1

I am using a Yamaha FC7 and it works fine.   I am at firmware 01.15 .  I bought the pedal some years ago  so I don't know if the vintage makes a difference.  I haven't noticed any bunching.

(under edit)  I had bought a recommended Roland EV 5 pedal when I purchased the 560 but found it too small and short in rocking travel to control smoothly so I just tried the FC7 for the heck of it and it worked.

Brian

• Like 1

On 8/12/2018 at 1:18 AM, Vintage said:

I am using a Yamaha FC7 and it works fine.   I am at firmware 01.15 .  I bought the pedal some years ago  so I don't know if the vintage makes a difference.  I haven't noticed any bunching.

(under edit)  I had bought a recommended Roland EV 5 pedal when I purchased the 560 but found it too small and short in rocking travel to control smoothly so I just tried the FC7 for the heck of it and it worked.

Brian

I see. interesting. I haven't tried it. Just reading other peoples posts saying that it bunches at one end. And it is a  log pot which means it must bunch at one end. Though if a keyboard had a calibration function, it would bunch less or not at all.

It seems to me that a lot of people are missing out on the full functionality of their expression pedals by using the wrong one. I mean if it is the first time someone has used an expression pedal, and that pedal is incorrect, someone might believe that is as good as it gets. When in fact they might be missing out on the smooth transition from heel to toe.

Though the proof is in the hearing, and if someone is happy with what they hear, then fair enough.