Loading midi files into PX560

ul-flieger

Yes and yes.

Oh, you want DETAILS. Regarding question 1, see page EN-60 of the Users' Guide. Re updating the firmware just follow the directions on the download page. You don't have to backup your 560 to a memory stickthe update shouldn't touch your user databut you can if you want, just to be on the safe side. I haven't heard of any downside to updating to the latest firmware. (Maybe someone else here has?)

On 26.10.2017 at 9:19 PM, AlenK said:

Yes and yes.

Oh, you want DETAILS. Regarding question 1, see page EN-60 of the Users' Guide.

Hi Alen, 

thanks for your answer, but what I want is to load an external MIDI file with the suffix ".mid". I mean those files you can get for free everywhere in the internet. 

Regards

@ul-flieger  Brad is giving you good information but if you had read more carefully the page I referenced you would have seen that it clearly says that you can play SMF files stored on a USB flash drive and then directs you to page EN-85 for how to load them from the drive into the PX-560. And seriously, did you think I hadn't done this myself? If I give advice for something that I have not tried myself I say as much. 

Hi Alen,

thanks for your answer. Everything works fine now! My fault was the wrong suffix. It was "midi" instead of "mid".

By the way, can I change the midi channel assignements after loading? I couldn't find such a possibilty. For example, the drums have not the correct midi channel. Instead of drums I hear something strange.

regards

While playing the mid file from the midi recorder, go to the main menu then go to the mixer, change it to port C.  Find and change the tone for the part that is playing drums.  Before exiting the mixer press and hold the store button while pressing the midi record/play button. You'll see a message showing "updated".  Your keyboard must be running current firmware for this.

• Thanks 1

@ul-flieger  Just to confirm: You saved the file then loaded another MIDI file, played it, then loaded the modified file back again and the channel assignments were indeed the way you set them? Interesting that this would work but not changing instruments (my experience described above). The difference, I assume, is that modifying MIDI channel assignments requires changing the channel data in the relevant channel-specific commands within the file, whereas changing instruments means changing "header" information containing program change commands and their associated bank select(s).  

As an experiment would you care to try to change the instrument on a track like I did? 

• 4 years later...

I want to play the .mid and .midi song files I have in the root of the USB stick. Do I need to put them in a folder with specific name? It either says media full or no media. I have 5GB of 32GB free so definitely not full. Does the USB drive need to be formatted in any specific way? How do I play full midi songs on the PX-560M?