Workstation/Arranger/DAW Controller Keyboard

Nick Rastin

Hi everyone

Ā 

If you don't have time to read my story and the reason of asking the following question please go directly to the question down there marked with *. šŸ˜ƒ

Ā 

I'm partially new to the world of digital/sampling music. I've been doing music mostly with real instruments and players and I have used the digital gears to record and mix the sounds. Now I have to enter to the digital/sampling world as I have to the job on myself and don't have access to the old band guys. Plus the professional high quality recording of real instruments is so much expensive.

Ā 

Well, I'm considering to buy a keyboard which can help me to the job at home studio and also be handful on live performances. So far I have got that Casio has the most budget friendly gears which are also professional.

Ā 

The key point is I'm not much good at consentrating on pc, using the mouse as an instrument and doing everything from A to Z in DAWs. I would use a machine which allows me to create the songs on itself by working with real keys, knobs, faders, choosing and editing the sounds, playing, recording and (basic) mixing inside it. Then to do the final note/audio cleaning, mixing (or mastering) in DAW on Pc still by using the real keys, knobs, faders on the keyboard. (I'm not sure if it sounds odd, but if so please let me know!)

Ā 

* In this case I need your recommend on the cheapest available Casio (or other brands) keyboard which is capable of working as:

Ā 

Workstation/Arranger/DAW Controller/ Multitrack Recorder*

(*The last one is not crucial)

Ā 

I highly appreciate your kind advice!

Ā 

At present, I would suggest the MZ-X500 comes closest to your requirements. It actually covers every one of your requirements above.

Ā 

However, if you are primarily usingĀ  DAW based multi track recording software, along with large amounts of VST's, you'd probably be better off getting a dedicated MIDI controller keyboard. These have more controllers and are easier to map to DAW software. Plus one would be cheaper than any workstation. However, if you must have a unit that can operate as a standalone as well as part of a DAW, then the MZ-X is the best recommendation.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Chas said:

At present, I would suggest the MZ-X500 comes closest to your requirements. It actually covers every one of your requirements above.

Ā 

However, if you are primarily usingĀ  DAW based multi track recording software, along with large amounts of VST's, you'd probably be better off getting a dedicated MIDI controller keyboard. These have more controllers and are easier to map to DAW software. Plus one would be cheaper than any workstation. However, if you must have a unit that can operate as a standalone as well as part of a DAW, then the MZ-X is the best recommendation.

Thanks a lot for your detailed reply. šŸ‘