Detailed questions about MZ-X500 and DAW integration

Nick Rastin

16 hours ago, XW-Addict said:

Interesting thread, I don't want to be a buzz kill but ask silly questions and you'll get silly answers :huh:

All the wiring to a DAW doesn't necessarily guarantee good music unless the person is a versed or

creative musician. One always going to find something to add which lead to GAS and no music. 

A bit off -topic? Care to expound on what silly questions were asked and what silly answers were given?

5 hours ago, Rick Sterling said:

A bit off -topic? Care to expound on what silly questions were asked and what silly answers were given?

Just that there won't be coming any audio-interface to whatever Casio keyboard soon

nor audio recording functions like overdub to existing wav records (not sampling). Its been a topic since 

the XW arrived and later on with the PX's and with the revealing of the MZ it wasn't their neither.

And with the memory available to PX and MZ keyboard chances are very slim for the next keyboard. 

But and I don't mean a big one all keyboards have stereo outputs if you're lucky with an mixer with a built 

in audio-interface or a separate audio-interface or a four track recorder that also work just as well. 

but the point was no audio-interface or expanded audio recording function to the existing wav recorder. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, XW-Addict said:

Just that there won't be coming any audio-interface to whatever Casio keyboard soon

nor audio recording functions like overdub to existing wav records (not sampling). Its been a topic since 

the XW arrived and later on with the PX's and with the revealing of the MZ it wasn't their neither.

And with the memory available to PX and MZ keyboard chances are very slim for the next keyboard. 

But and I don't mean a big one all keyboards have stereo outputs if you're lucky with an mixer with a built 

in audio-interface or a separate audio-interface or a four track recorder that also work just as well. 

but the point was no audio-interface or expanded audio recording function to the existing wav recorder. 

OK. I understand. You are correct. There will be no "updates" to the X500 to turn it into a Korg Kronos. ;-) 

p.s. I kept my Korg Kronos 2 when i got my X500. Love them both!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Silvano Silva said:

If you change some of the rhythm parameters in the MIXER in real time and you press the fill in button the MIXER returns to the original rhythm value.

Could the MZ freeze keep the settings until you switch Style.:cheers:

NO, I don't think so. As soon as you press a Fill or go to another Variation the keyboard will play back what has been saved for that rhythm and your real time adjustments are lost. You would need to create a User rhythm with your adjusted params then write that to a User Rhythm slot. You could then use the Registration buttons to quickly change the Rhythms  between Styles during real time play.

4 hours ago, Rick Sterling said:

NO, I don't think so. As soon as you press a Fill or go to another Variation the keyboard will play back what has been saved for that rhythm and your real time adjustments are lost. You would need to create a User rhythm with your adjusted params then write that to a User Rhythm slot. You could then use the Registration buttons to quickly change the Rhythms  between Styles during real time play.

Rick you did not understand what I meant.
The MZ when using the fill what was changed is lost I already know.
In Roland if you change the bass volume for example in real time this change only exits when you switch Style. It looks like Roland has a temporary Ram memory just for this.

11 hours ago, Silvano Silva said:

Rick you did not understand what I meant.
The MZ when using the fill what was changed is lost I already know.
In Roland if you change the bass volume for example in real time this change only exits when you switch Style. It looks like Roland has a temporary Ram memory just for this.

Actually I did understand. Perhaps my answer wasn't clear enough. All real time changes like bass volume are temporary and will revert back to the saved parameter as soon as you select another rhythm element within the current style, unless you write your changes to a new style. Roland keeps the real time edited rhythm in memory until you change the style. Casio could easily also do this with a small change to the X500 firmware. Real time, latched adjustment of the rhythm channels via the faders would be a great upgrade to the X500 functionality.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Rick Sterling said:

Actually I did understand. Perhaps my answer wasn't clear enough. All real time changes like bass volume are temporary and will revert back to the saved parameter as soon as you select another rhythm element within the current style, unless you write your changes to a new style. Roland keeps the real time edited rhythm in memory until you change the style. Casio could easily also do this with a small change to the X500 firmware. Real time, latched adjustment of the rhythm channels via the faders would be a great upgrade to the X500 functionality.

It's true, Rick.
It would be a simple firmware adjustment that would make all the difference.
We are beta testers from Casio.
It is up to Casio to HAVE these tips.

And complementing if I mute the bass channel in Roland's general mixer.
All Rhythms are muted until I reconnect to the GENERAL MIXER at Roland.

On 7-11-2017 at 5:13 AM, Rick Sterling said:

OK. I understand. You are correct. There will be no "updates" to the X500 to turn it into a Korg Kronos. ;-) 

p.s. I kept my Korg Kronos 2 when i got my X500. Love them both!

Please quoting me on that might bite me later if I'm off on that and to expand on what I wrote,

I've happily took the compromises that comes with the particular keyboard I play with and it 

pay's to spend time on them for that wanted sound its the experience that count's.