Video Files on Forum ×

Homogenizing volumes of performances

mertyuy

I've got an XW-P1, quite happy with its workings. Something I haven't quite learned to do is how to make the volumes of each performance more or less even with each other (stacking a Hex Layer and four drums makes it quite louder, something that is not always what I want). Sometimes, in the gig, I have to turn the volume knob up or down quite a lot with some tracks. I guess that I could lower the volume of those loud performances within programming, but haven't been round to how to even the volumes out of 50 performances. Any tips for better programming? I Guess that this issue could apply to any other keyboard, but post here as there may be a solution using the interface of the XW ...  Cheers

The only thing I can think of is adjusting the master volume in the mixer and then resaving each Performance. The process shouldn't be too arduous. See page E-67 in the User's Guide. You can judge overall volume by ear but some kind of sound meter (even a program on a PC) would likely be helpful to get them all evened out. 

I should add that I am assuming that the master volume is stored in each Performance. I am not certain it is. If it is a global setting then you'll have to adjust the volumes of all the relevant parts in each Performance individually.

Note that the volumes of parts 8 to 16 are actually stored in the sequence you have specified for a Performance, not in the Performance itself. That's because the XW-P1 can normally access them only from the sequencer, so it makes sense to store the volumes of those parts, as well as all other mixer settings for those parts with each sequence. (I said "normally" because there are several non-standard ways to access those parts from the XW-P1's keyboard. See here and here.)