CDP-130 as a player piano

StanR

Is there any way to send a MIDI file from my computer over the USB ports on both so that it will play on the CDP-130?  In other words, I have a MIDI piano file on my Windows 7 computer that I want to hear played on my Casio digital piano. Any way to do that?

Thank you in advance.

Yes!  See Pages EN-11 and EN-12 of the CDP-130 manual.  The CDP-130 is "Class Compliant", which means it will work with the generic driver that is built-in to Windows, so it will not require you to manually download and install a driver.  The first time you connect the CDP-130 to the computer with what is commonly referred to as a "USB printer cable", Windows will automatically install the driver from the computer's hard drive.  After that, you need only select the keyboard as the preferred MIDI device in whatever MIDI file player software you are using.

Thank you VERY much! Yes, I got this far, but do not see how to select a MIDI device in, say, Windows Media Player. Or are there better choices for a MIDI file player that will, indeed, permit me to select the keyboard as the device?  I am quite excited about this prospect now that you have verified that it is possible!

For some reason, Microsoft decided to do away with the Windows MIDI-Mapper of Windows-XP in Windows Vista, so the Windows Media Player's output is locked to the Microsoft Wavetable Synth by the Windows Registry.  You have three options for getting around this:

One is to manually hack the Windows Registry to redirect Windows Media Player's output to the sound module device of your choice, but this is not recommended, unless you are a power user, and has the disadvantage of requiring a "hack" every time you want to change it.

Second is to install a small utility program that restores the MIDI Mapper capability of Windows-XP.  This is probably the all-around best choice, as it works with any number of different programs and hardware devices that require MIDI mapping, and would allow you to continue using Window's Media Player, if that is what you are used to, or prefer.

Third is to install an independent MIDI player program that has its own MIDI Mapper built-in.

For a MIDI Mapper utility, I recommend PLW MIDI Mapper.  It is actually billed as a Windows Vista utility, but I have had it running on a 64-bit Vista desktop and two 64-bit Windows-7 laptops for several years now, and have several friends that are running it on Windows-8 laptops.  It seems to be a fairly unversal program.  You can download it from:

http://sierrahelp.com/Utilities/SoundUtilities/PutzlowitschsVistaMIDI_Mapper.html

The above site gives you two possible download links - the author's (Putzlowitsch) site or the Sierra Help site.  Either one should be a "safe" site.

If you would prefer to get away from Windows Media Player and go with an independent player, I recommend vanBasco's Karaoke Player.  Do not let the name Karaoke mislead you.  It is every bit a MIDI player.  It started out as a MIDI player, and the Karaoke option was added later.  It can be downloaded from:

http://www.vanbasco.com/karaokeplayer/

Good luck!

Words alone cannot express my gratitude! It is so generous of you to give all of us the benefits of your substantial knowledge, experience, and experimentation. Thank you, thank you! Everything worked EXACTLY the way you described. I am in your debt!