LK-265 vs LK-280 Pros Cons and the Chordana Play App

Bdbarb

I am looking to pick up a new lighted keyboard to help my niece learn how to play keyboard, and figure I would purchase one for myself. I originally picked up an LK-135 for this Xmas as an impulse buy, but then started researching the higher end models and am just plain confused as to which to upgrade to. I would appreciate the ability to learn with the Chordana Play App, as the advertisement states, "Just download your favorite MIDI files, connect your device's headphone output to the LK-265's audio input, and explore an endless library of music." (I have 80GB of my own store bought music, woohoo!) But if the LK-280 is the flagship model in this lineup, how come it does not mention any integration with the Chordana Play app? Will it work at all with it? Is the app even necessary to port my own songs over to learn on the lighted keys? The Chordana Play app just makes it look easy to teach my niece with the plug and play functionality without having to explain to a 3 yr old  (And my sister who isn't technical at all) how to hack a song into a Midi file on Windows 10 and insert an SD card. I also really like that the 280 records if I ever want to make an attempt at being the next Trent Reznor with my own completed songs which the 265 does not seem to support.

Basically if the 280 works with the app it would make it well worth the upgrade but there is no resources on anyone doing this. If anyone has any experience with these combinations, please let us know your experience. 

A very difficult decision, indeed !  The iTunes and GooglePlay sites make the following statement about ChrodanaPlay compatibility:

" Compatible with LK-265, CTK-2500, CTK-2550, and CTK-3500 keyboard models. "

Obviously, the LK-280 is not on this list.  That is very unfortunate, as the LK-280 includes some of the more advanced convenience features of the CTK/WK workstation models, and since you have expressed interest in the LK-280, I would recommend one of the ChordanaPlay compatible CTK models, except that they lack the key-lighting feature, which could be a fortunate learning incentive to a 3 year old, of the LK-265.

It is possible to convert Standard MIDI FIles (SMF), from various sources (including the internet) to be compatible with the standard "Learning" features of any of the Casio CTK/WK/LK models, but they would lack the more sophisticated features of ChordanaPlay.  ChorddanaPlay is a system unto itself.  Once you understand the process, the aforementioned conversion is really rather simple for a power user, but is definitely not for the uninitiated.  Here is a YouTube video clip showing the conversion process.  The clip shows the LK-280, but the process will work for any CTK/WK/LK model with "Learning" features, but with key-lighting only for the LK models.

Good luck with your decision !

• 4 weeks later...

I am thinking about the exact same thing as Bdbarb. I'm looking to buy a keyboard for myself as a beginner, and my 5yo daughter. The Cordiana play app seems great especially for myself, and lighted keys for my daughter. But how come the LK265 doesn't record? I'd love the LK280 with the Cordiana comptability. 

Does anyone know if the teaching ability of the keyboard itself (3-step system?) is the same in these two devices?

Thanks!!

I can think of two possible reasons that the LK-265 does not record.  First, the Chordana system is a very, very basic learning system, so the assumption could be that anyone at that basic of a level would probably not be interested in something as sophisticated as recording, so (second reason) why inflate the price with a feature that would most likely never be used.

As to your second question, while the LK-265 shares some of the basic learning features of the non-Chordana compatible (LK-280, etc) units, it does lack some of their more important learning features - primarily the ability to play MIDI files that have been downloaded from the internet and fairly easily converted into "learning" files.  If this were a consideration strictly for a 5 year old, then I would say that the LK-265 might have SOME merit, but with its limitations, could still become out-grown fairly soon.  The main attraction of these units for younger learners seems to be the flashing keys, and any of the LK models have those, but now, when you throw in the consideration of an older or adult learner, that kind of tips the scale the other way.  There are no workarounds for what the LK-265 lacks, but there are workarounds for the Chordana system - professional teacher ($$$), online teaching systems ($$), locally purchased booklets on various learning systems ($), and in any case, even with Chordana, local support/supervision will be required.  While the LK-280 lacks some of the sophisticated features of the more advanced CTK/WK workstation models, it is still a very good keyboard, in its own right, and does share some of the important features of the more basic CTK/WK models, and does include some features that the very basic, entry level CTK/WK models lack.  I would expect the average LK-280 owner to find it useful well beyond that of the lower priced LK and CTK models.

I went with both! Got the LK-265 for my niece and the LK-280 for myself. Bought the Windows program http://www.synthesiagame.com/ and have already started adding midi files off the internet for free. The Chordana play app should allow you to add midi files as well. Casio if you're listening, I would have purchases the Chordana Play app from you had it been made for Windows too.

Steps to use:

1. Download the contents in your computer and transfer to the memory of the smart device on which Chordana Play is downloaded.

2. Open Chordana Play > Midi Files. All the files should show up in Chordana Play App.

3. Start playing the songs via the app or transfer in your Keyboard (CTK-2500, CTK-3500)

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Bdbarb said:

I went with both! Got the LK-265 for my niece and the LK-280 for myself. Bought the Windows program http://www.synthesiagame.com/ and have already started adding midi files off the internet for free. The Chordana play app should allow you to add midi files as well. Casio if you're listening, I would have purchases the Chordana Play app from you had it been made for Windows too.

Steps to use:

1. Download the contents in your computer and transfer to the memory of the smart device on which Chordana Play is downloaded.

2. Open Chordana Play > Midi Files. All the files should show up in Chordana Play App.

3. Start playing the songs via the app or transfer in your Keyboard (CTK-2500, CTK-3500)

Are you saying that you can get the same/similar functionality with LK 280 & Synthesia? as in LK 265 & Chordana? I am primarily interested in lighted keys, importable midis and scrolling sheet music that stops at a note and waits for me to play the lighted key before progressing. Would you kindly make a youtube video and load it up? I would also like some Karaoke features to the Casio models like in Casio 300TV or Casio 94tv.

I know the casio LK 280 can play midi songs from the internet but synthesia requires us to purchase some of these songs? Shouldnt most of these songs be available for free in midi form? Just wondering. 

Yes I'm saying that. And it stops for you to play the music or you can set it to keep going too. This information is readily available about how to use midi files and you can also find the instructions and video tutorials available on these companies websites. Yes you can add midi files for free on Synthesia, even in the trial, but it requires you to pay for license before you can play entire midi songs (trial version ends song early). It's only 29 bucks if you like it. Can't hurt to try it for free.

On 12/12/2017 at 4:52 PM, Bdbarb said:

Yes I'm saying that. And it stops for you to play the music or you can set it to keep going too. This information is readily available about how to use midi files and you can also find the instructions and video tutorials available on these companies websites. Yes you can add midi files for free on Synthesia, even in the trial, but it requires you to pay for license before you can play entire midi songs (trial version ends song early). It's only 29 bucks if you like it. Can't hurt to try it for free.

So I was trying to play with chordana and my lk 280. I tried ode to joy (the easy version as opposed to easiest version) and some of the keys (the 5 key in the falling notes green 5 note) does not light up. Is there a way of fixing that?

I know my LK 280 keyboards keys work and its the software most likely.

How has your experience been so far?

Did you download that song from somewhere, where did you get it? If you can reproduce it perhaps I can as well. However it would be more fun to download Muse Starlight to test this. :)  I find it's doing that for some notes randomly but I think it's happening more when I miss a key, and it may be a factor that I'm using songs downloaded that aren't yet formatted for Casio. I haven't had time to use the Casio software that you can use to format and create midi files but here's the link that may help you fix the missing lighted key http://music.casio.com/e/smf/ 

On 12/20/2017 at 10:52 AM, Bdbarb said:

Did you download that song from somewhere, where did you get it? If you can reproduce it perhaps I can as well. However it would be more fun to download Muse Starlight to test this. :)  I find it's doing that for some notes randomly but I think it's happening more when I miss a key, and it may be a factor that I'm using songs downloaded that aren't yet formatted for Casio. I haven't had time to use the Casio software that you can use to format and create midi files but here's the link that may help you fix the missing lighted key http://music.casio.com/e/smf/ 

Ode to joy comes with the included "demo" version of Synthesia (I have not bought the software yet). There are two versions of Ode in Synthesia (the easier version and the less easy version with both hands). 

Sometimes although I would love to have the chordana app because atleast the keys would light up ... I am ok with a few keys not lighting up. I suppose. 

I have not tried the midi file slot for the keyboard. 

I am waiting for the real joy to arrive within me so I can actually get into playing the songs but feeling a little stressed about other priorities in life (like guaranteed shelter and income, living with parents currently, unfortunately, grad . student here). It is odd that when I was non-wealthy and scrounging for tools & equipment (like a piano like LK 280) I had all the desire and joy around music. Before I obtained my piano I was literally hearing notes and rewriting songs. Now I feel too worried about my standardized tests to even touch the keyboard.

As soon as the equipment/ tool arrived I may have lost some joy & interest & dreaming & creativity.

The same was the case with film making. When I had access to the best equipment in film making I could not come up with a decent screenplay. I had to shoot a documentary. Now that I have no camera or editing station I have written two screenplays and the visions are so immediate that I have had to resort to sketching the storyboards or animating the story. What is going on here ?

The thing is not just confined to art , it is happening with life. For example  currently I burn with longing to make love to some lady or the other , but as of now even if I get a lady I am so stressed I cannot even perform. Then when I was able to perform and my "tool" was highly operational & I was surrounded by beautiful girls in my dorm I just restrained myself because I was afraid of some moral police that would hinder my progress & success. I don't think this was the case with me before. What happened?

Its not just me, I notice how the children write lists and yearn for the toys and then lose all interest after obtaining the gifts ( within 5 mins of the gift's arrival? Dennis Leary spoke about this here) : 

Honestly, I got this keyboard so I could play Coldplay and Keane and Snow Patrol and write my own music honestly. I am not a lot into 16th century classical piano music (like muse or ode) unless it is to learn how to compose my own music and songs.

What is your reference to Muse Starlight? I thought it was a reference to a classical song. But Muse is a band and Starlight is a song of their right? I am not into Muse and the song starlight is not very light and not about stars but it is very non-light and non-optimistic. I do however love Muse's Neutron Star Collision (Love Forever) . That is somewhat how I feel about Europe and the US and Christ and my father Averehim (bin Terah bin Nahor) & Plato that which is most fair and most good. 

• 2 years later...
10 hours ago, - T - said:

But does the LK-280's rather old operating system have the programming to actually "work" with Chordana for Piano, or does it merely "connect" via MIDI?

Chordana Play for Piano is a separate app from Chordana Play.  I know, it's confusing.  Chordana Play for Piano has additional remote controller features that's only compatible with certain Casio models.  The remaining functions of the app, the learning tools, will work with any General MIDI compatible keyboard.  

OK Brad, thanks!

So it's really not a question of will the LK-280's old operating system work with Chordana, but more a fact that Chordana was designed to tap into Casio's existing "learning" system that has been around and enjoyed a reasonable success for quite a few years now.

I hope that the two original posters in this thread see this, so that they will know that their LK-280's will, in fact, work with Chordana Play.

And . . . . this means that Chordana Play should also work with the learning features of the WK-1XX and WK-2XX (WK-225/245) models, even though they lack the key lighting of the LK models, for those that prefer 76 keys.  I will send a PM to @Majek Skateboards, as he was wondering about this very thing for his wife's WK-245 quite some time ago, but due to that 4 board compatibility statement, we decided it would not work.

guaranteed to work:

1) CHORDANA PLAY  

CTK-2500 ( only via cable 3,5mm aux) 

CTK-3500 ( via cable 3,5mm aux and via midi usb) 

LK-265 (Only via cable 3,5mm ) 

LK-266 ( via cable 3,5mm ) 

LK-280 (midi usb) 

old:

WK-6600 (midi usb) 

WK-7700 (midi usb) 

CTK-7200 (midi usb)

2) CHORDANA PLAY FOR PIANO 

CDP-S100 

CDP-S350 

Privia PX-160 

Privia PX-S1000 

Privia PX-S3000 

Privia PX-360 

Privia PX-560 

Privia PX-5S 

Privia PX-770 

Privia PX-870 

Celviano AP-270 

Celviano AP-470

Celviano AP-700 

Grand Hybrid Celviano GP-300 

Grand Hybrid Celviano GP-500 

old:

CDP-130 

CDP-230 

Celviano AP-650 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Thanks a lot for sharing your valuable information

I am in a similar paradox. Picked up a LK-175 to start learning fresh for  my 10 year daughter. More confused. To access the full benefits of chordana is it a good choice?

Or which is the best LK model  to have both beginner as well as advanced like recording. Not able to choose between LK-S250,LK-265 & LK-280

Zillion of thanks for helping out.