Video Files on Forum ×

What I have already bought:

Nice little asus 2 in 1 laptop/tablet with touch screen, 16 gb, 512 gb ssd.

Used xwp1 at my local (asheville) guitar center.

Bought the computer to run software (says Captain Obvious) and the keyboard to input notes.

So really what software should I buy?

Also interested in the interesting stand alone capabilities of the xwp1. Some cool synth functions there, it appears.

I'm going to suggest not buying anything at all. Your XW-P1 can generate sixteen simultaneous tones. You can make decent music with that as your ONLY sound source. But to add even more and increase the variety you can choose from dozens of free VSTs. You can run them and your P1 from a free DAW. (The P1's step sequencer is good but you will probably be frustrated if you attempt to use it to make full songs.) There are literally dozens to choose from and some are surprisingly full-featured.

http://routenote.com/blog/the-top-10-best-free-daws-updated-for-2017/

https://audioskills.com/data/daws/free/

At the very least trying a free DAW or two will tell you how you prefer to work to help you wisely choose a decidedly-not-free DAW. 

Interesting. Thank you.

I'll check out those links.

I do intend to get Reaper and I have no problem paying their very reasonable price.

Other than that I will be proceeding slowly. Files... partions... folders... I have some stuff to learn.

I must say, though, I am impressed by what I have seen of Komplete 11.