My Casiotone 405 has a little fault =(

Niah Caves

So I had been dreaming of buying one of these for a while, finally found one I could afford, some aesthetic wear but seller assured me everything worked.

Got it the other day and everything does work apart from the switch that changes between the preset sound banks.

So I am very sad as this means half the sounds are inaccessible, and immensely frustrated as I imagine this is quite a simple fix but I am wary of taking the thing apart to have a look.

If anyone has any advice or resources (I have had a look through the technical spec you can find but omg it is intimidating!) I would be super grateful =)

IIRC, the 405 is the full sized wooden cased version of the MT65/ 68. I have one of each and they're really cool little boards, especially the rhythm section.

On both my MT65 and 65, the preset main tone is in two banks, with a push to lock/ unlock button used to switch between the two. The button has a habit of sticking so that it won't lock in the second position. If you press and hold the bank select button, then you will hear the tones selected in the second bank. But the moment you release the button it resorts back to the first bank. Is that how your 405 also works?

If not, or it uses different types of switches, the good news is that the switches used are simple and easy to check. Chances are something is sticking or not making good contact, and some cleaning may well work wonders. You could try squirting some switch cleaner into the switch to see if that helps. If not you will have to take the unit apart to check/ clean the switches, which if you are careful and methodical isn't too difficult at all.

Hey Chas, thanks for your reply - you have increased my confidencell to have a look around inside! 

It's not quite the same on the 405, it's a flick switch as opposed to a push and lock type. So regardless of which way it is flicked, only 1 bank out of thr 2 is selected. I will try some contact spray, that's a good idea =) 

• 1 year later...

Lukas

Welcome to the Casio Forums !

The thread you are responding to is nearly two years old.  The original poster has not logged in here since November 24, 2017, so it is highly doubtful that he (she) is still monitoring this thread.  I hope that another member that has a 405 sees this and responds to you, but you may be in for a bit of a wait.  Spraying contact cleaner onto a switch from the outside of the case does little or no good, because it can not get to the actual electrical contacts from there.  You most likely need to open the case and sparingly spray contact cleaner into the underside of the switch, and then work it back and forth a few dozen times, then put everthing back together and hope for the best.

Good luck!

Regards,

- T -

I'm afraid I actually haven't yet tried lol...

soon after that post ^^^ the switch started working, then stopped, but stopped in the position that had most of the sounds I liked anyways. I am a terrible procrastinator and have yet to muster the energy to take the thing apart, alas.

I think what -T- is saying is on point, good luck with your 405, fingers crossed for you ❤️

• 11 months later...

Hello..i have the similar problem.

Basically the voice choice catches don't all work - just piano and clarinet work each time I press those catches. The entirety of different fastens either don't work by any stretch of the imagination, or just irregularly and arbitrary. Now and then on the off chance that I press the violin for instance, I can get the electric piano or trumpet to work. In any case, those outcomes are not steady.

Simply contemplating whether this is a typical issue or one that somebody has involvement in and can guide me on what to take a gander at for a fix. I'm getting it would be the part that controls the entirety of the voices?

pcb quote

hey Melli, so with mine I sprayed some contact cleaner in and flicked the switch a few times. this seemed to help but only for a while. I think I'd need to open it up to clean it properly tbh but since then I've had to rearrange the studio and my has been sat in a corner for ages =(

try the contact cleaner thing maybe? otherwise I have no advice for you sorry!

• 3 months later...

Hi guys! I own a parted out version of the 405. I already sold my good one in 2018 sadly so I will try an help as best I can. Since my remaining unit is parted out(broken control panel board), I can attest to the sound bank switch being a dual rubber dome type as seen in the pictures I have attached. You need to dismantle the control panel portion of the keyboard carefully, and unscrew the sounds button subassembly. The rubber domes are under the plastic subassembly. Clean the rubber domes with warm soapy water only! Clean the dusty circuit board and the carbon contacts on it with a damp paper towel and then a dry paper towel. Or heck you can even use your finger to wipe the dust and muck away several times till the board/contacts are RUB dry. So no chemicals needed!  TRUST, that you do not want chemicals on this!.. The first pics show the FRONT/TOP of the select switch. There is a little SPRING there. THAT spring maybe gunked up or MISSING! If it is missing, you need to find another like it to allow you to restore the latching function of the switch again. IF NOT, you will need to make your own modifications to add a toggle switch that is double pole double throw, in order to make your own bank selector. The way that switch works is that it is pressed down for bank A or pressed down for bank B. IF you were to not have the switch at all, your Casio defaults to bank A(top row of sounds PRINTED on the sound select buttons themselves).

my_photo-1.jpg

my_photo-2.jpg

my_photo-3.jpg