Sign in to follow this  
AlenK

Phrases from Multi-function area

Hi XW-G1 owners,

I'd like someone to check something on the XW-G1 for me. I have an XW-P1 not a G1 so I can't check this for myself. I'm trying to verify what happens when phrases are played on the G1. According to the XW-G1 User's Guide you can start and stop two phrases from the multi-function area of the keyboard,  provided that you set up the appropriate parameters in a Performance. One phrase (Phrase 1) is controlled by keys C5 to B5 while the other phrase (Phrase 2) is controlled by keys C6 to B6. Phrase 1 can be set to play Part 5 or Part 1 while Phrase 2 can be set to play Part 6 or Part 1. My questions are as follows:

(1) Can Phrase 1 and Phrase 2 be played at the same time? The manual doesn't say they can't.

(2) If the answer to (1) is yes, what happens if both Phrase 1 and Phrase 2 both point to Part 1?  Do they both play the part or does one of the phrases have priority?

(3) While either Phrase 1 or Phrase 2 (or both, if possible) are playing, can another phrase be initiated from the PLAY/STOP button  on the panel? 

(4) Does pressing one of the 11 keys in the multi-function area that can start a given phrase result in any transposition of the phrase? Or do they all do the same thing, which would seem to me to be a waste of keys? 

You know I never tried it until now. 

1 : No Phrase 1 and 2 can't be played at the same time. Because Multi-key range go's from C5 to C7 it only appoints one phrase. 

Say if I chose the full range I'll get Phrase 1 but you wont have phrase 2 available. But this the thing if I set the range for multi-key 

from C6 to C7 phrase 2 gets available.

2 : Either one available by range can points to part 1 and its own specific part .

But range dependent you only get either one phrase to play its own part  Phrs1 = part 5, Phrs2 = part 6. 

3 : Yes in that case multi-key can be set to have a phrase be triggered and you can also do the phrase on the panel by play/stop 

plus you can key-play the panel phrase and have multi-key phrase either keeps playing or triggers a phrase then stop.

If multi-key phrase play's continuously another key gets set to phrase-stop so the loop can end.  

4 : No but you can set key-shift value for the phrase this go's from -127 to +127.

Thanks for the clarification. Evidently I have misunderstood a lot about what the XW-G1's User's Guide is describing. I certainly misinterpreted what it says about assigning key ranges. From your explanation I now think I understand that you can choose ONE key from the range C5 to Bb5 to start Phrase 1 or ONE key from the range C6 to Bb6 to start Phrase 2. It still seems strange that you can do the latter only if you have not already done the former.

1 hour ago, AlenK said:

Thanks for the clarification. Evidently I have misunderstood a lot about what the XW-G1's User's Guide is describing. I certainly misinterpreted what it says about assigning key ranges. From your explanation I now think I understand that you can choose ONE key from the range C5 to Bb5 to start Phrase 1 or ONE key from the range C6 to Bb6 to start Phrase 2. It still seems strange that you can do the latter only if you have not already done the former.

I know what you mean its a bit peculiar it all depends on the range setting but both phrases will not be available at ones.