Are 76 keys always better than 61 keys for a beginner ?

xlinknz

IMNSHO, the primary reason to get an 88 key keyboard for anyone starting out is that they are weighted like a real piano. There might be some 76-key keyboards that are, but not many, and I don't know of any 61-key keyboards that are, except maybe by Nord, which is more than you want for a beginner anyway.

IOW, it's not the number of keys but the weighting that matters.

Hi Joe

Thank you for the reply :)

My son's teacher recommended if possible a 88 note with weighted keyboard but we found that to get one with lots of tones [as he enjoys that ] e.g. a cdp-235 or px360 would cost twice as much. She said a 76 note is definitely better than a 61 note. My understanding is the WK keys themselves are better than the CTK too i.e. wider and better action although not weighted

At this stage we are looking at a WK-240/245 until we know he sticks with music [a common dilemma for parents] and at that stage we would definitely consider a 88 note with weighted keyboard.

• 3 weeks later...
Personally I would not worry about getting weighted or 88 key etc at such an early stage. I would look more for getting your boy something that he will have lots of fun with and enjoy, and also I would ensure that it would be easy to move about to take to his friends houses plus cheap enough that if he gets fed up with it or it gets a bit damaged it's not a huge loss. If he keeps playing and enjoying the keyboard, I would then look to something better for his more serious learning, but I would still keep the original one to take to mates play, as that's the most important part in the early stages, the fun factor.

Steve