Is Pedal input 2 for Expression Pedal?

smithh

Hi there, I'd welcome the wisdom of the community on the topic of pedals and the PX 5S.  

I'm confused about the operation of Pedal 2 Input. Will it take an expression pedal?  Does it transmit MIDI depending on the position of the pedal or just on/off (0/127)?

Sincerely,

Howard Smith

There are no direct expression pedal inputs on the PX-5S.  There is one on the PX-560 if you need.  There are MIDI pedal input solutions as a workaround for the PX-5S.  Having said that, the PX-5S doesn't necessarily have to respond to the on/off switch immediately.  Pedal on/off rates can be slowed down by a setting in the menu that ranges from 0-127, fast to slow.  Min/max levels can also be set so that something like a fade in or out can be done and repeated with predictable precision.  I hope this helps.

Hi Brad, thanks for replying.  Are you saying that the pedal 2 input is on/off and won't transmit MIDI expression?? I am using the PX5S both in its own right, where I don't care about a second pedal, but also to drive PianoTeq software. It's a physical modelling of a real piano and has 5 pedal inputs. One of this, Harmonic pedal, is very useful. It allows you to play stacato (take hands off keys) and retain 'resonance'. Amazingly real.   If I press the pedal down in the software the effect is lovely. I was hoping to use Pedal 2 input on the PX5S for this. But it is simply not transmitting properly. 

Any more thoughts? Also, what is the workaround you are referring to?

Howard

Pedal 2 transmits MIDI.  The stage setting you are using determines what MIDI CC the pedals send.  Are you using 0-0 Concert Grand?  You can see and change what pedal 2 sends by pressing edit>stage setting>common edit>controller>pedal 2>target>change it to what you need, expression if that's what Pianoteq requires.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
On 12/1/2017 at 10:47 PM, Brad Saucier said:

Pedal 2 transmits MIDI.  The stage setting you are using determines what MIDI CC the pedals send.  Are you using 0-0 Concert Grand?  You can see and change what pedal 2 sends by pressing edit>stage setting>common edit>controller>pedal 2>target>change it to what you need, expression if that's what Pianoteq requires.  

Is it possible to use a Boss Expression Pedal (Boss FV 50L)?