CDP-220R Doesn't Agree With User Guide

cooltouch

We moved to a new home a while back and most of my stuff is still in boxes, including the hardcopy of my CDP-220R's User Guide. So I d/l'd a .pdf of the manual from Casio's website. I'm trying to configure the keyboard for MIDI channels and the like, but the problem is my kb doesn't agree with the manual and the buttons it tells you to push don't result in the same actions on my kb. For example,  on page 65 of the manual, just to get started and enter the MIDI section, the User Guide says to press [function] then  the 10-key [4] and [6] to display "MIDI". Well, when press the [function] key , it displays "Trans." with an "11" above it. The button [4] is a delete key (a flashing "DELETE" message is shown) so it clears the section of any codes that may have been entered, I suppose. The [6] button doesn't appear to do anything, except switch off the flashing "DELETE" message. "Trans" with the "11" above it reappears. It then says to press the [9] Enter key, and when I do that, it doesn't do anything. If I hit [function] again, it reverts back to the regular keyboard display.

The Guide goes on to tell you how to set keyboard channels and how to navigate them and shows the messages that are supposed to appear, and I'm getting none of that. Just "Trans." with the "11" above it.

So is this an error in the User Guide, or have I left out an important step that wasn't mentioned?

I don't really know how important that all is anyway. When I turn on the Casio, my Win7 machine does the "babump" thing, meaning a USB something just got loaded. And one of the pieces of music software I use -- Band in a Box -- shows the Casio in the MIDI section. I even had it send a scale passage to the Casio as a test, and that worked fine -- the Casio played it, I mean. But I haven't yet figured out how to use it in Band in a Box. I also have Cakewalk Sonar on this machine. I haven't tried it with the Casio yet, but that's something I'll be getting to a bit later.

Anyway, I'm brand new to using my Casio as a MIDI platform, but I'm looking forward to it, so I'll probably have a bunch of questions. If there is any good resource like out on the net somewhere that I can read through to help me better understand the workings of this device, I'd sure appreciate locating it.

Welp, just to add to the above, I have now tried out my keyboard with Sonar, and I can get Sonar to send MIDI data to the Casio and the Casio plays it -- the instrument is coming through the Casio's speakers, that is. I can even load all the instruments of the song into the Casio and it handles them fine. But I haven't yet figured out how to send any of the Casio's information to Sonar. I've been playing around with the ins and outs, and have achieved a variety of results, but none that I can point to that indicate Sonar is receiving instrument information from the CDP-220R. I'm hoping this will be possible because I'd like to be able to get some of its 700+ instruments into my mix.

On the 10-key pad, the 4 button also functions as the left arrow ( < ) button and the 6 button functions as the right arrow ( > ) button.  In "FUNCTION" mode, you press them repeatedly, to cycle the CDP's display through the various menu choices at that menu level.  So, you press the FUNCTION button, then press the 4 (left arrow) button or the 6 (right arrow) button repeatedly, until the CDP's display matches the illustration shown in the manual for that particular item, then you press the 9 (Enter) button to proceed to the next step.  In this case, you would press the FUNCTION button, then press the 4 (left arrow) button or the 6 (right arrow) button  repeatedly, until the display shows "MIDI", then press the 9 (Enter) button to proceed to the next step.  Anywhere in the manual, where it is talking about the 10-key pad, if it shows the left or right arrow symbols ( " < " or " > " ) after the 4 and 6, it means to press them repeatedly, until the display matches the manual's illustration.

The table in the right hand column of Page E-7 of the manual illustrates the FUNCTION mode's navigation scheme.  When you first press the FUNCTION button, it comes into Level-1, which is for the Transpose settings.  That is where that "Trans" indication (see the "Display" column), that you are seeing, is coming from.  Look down through the list and note that MIDI settings are on Level-12, so you would need to press the 6 (right arrow) button eleven times (after pressing the FUNCTION button) to cycle down to the MIDI settings.  Once there (by pressing the 9 (Enter) button), you have 4 different settings that you can cycle through  with the 4/6 buttons, select with the 9 button, then change (set) with the plus ( + ) / minus ( - ) buttons.

If you are going to be using the CDP with your computer, I recommend downloading a shareware MIDI diagnositcs utility by the name of MIDI-OX from www.midiox.com.  Among other things, it shows what MIDI signals are being received from the keyboard, and which MIDI channels they are being recieved on.  That can save a lot of second guessing when things do not seem to be going right.

Good luck and enjoy using the CDP with Band-in-a-Box and Sonar.