New sounds!

eponn

I posted a message yesterday in the general Casio forum about having the mods create an upload/download section right here on the forum for new sounds/beats/ins file/etc... That would be the best way, in my mind, to avoid unnecessary duplications.

Still waiting to hear back from the forum owners.

• Like 1

I did some digging and found this so far:

1. Click on your name in the top bar to go to your profile
  2. Click on My Settings
  3. In the left pane click on Manage Attachments
  4. Looks like we are limited to only 500kB of attachments - that's good for patch files, but not recordings
    I don't see any way to upload anything from here

Another place I found:

1. In the tool bar while replying to posts, click on the My Media button
  2. That's where you manage attachments
  3. Again, I don't see any Upload button or anything how to actually upload stuff
  4. It'd be great, if we could upload patches right here.
    Putting stuff outside and linking to it as a pain, sites change URLs or accounts get deleted which will lead to broken links down the road.

Looks like the the attachment functionality is not up yet, but the site is less than a week old. Let's give it time to improve.

I suggest

• use of Soundcloud to share songs here (after the widget support is fixed) - you can get a free account for SC and share your masterpieces
  • upload patch files right here at this site

I'm not sure, but I think it probably has something to do with the My Media button that appears next to the smiley icon when you reply to a topic. Can't remember whether it also appears when you start a thread, although I'd put a buck on it.

As to how to get the attachment up to the server, I'm still sussing that out.. not used to this forum software yet.

Actually attaching a file to the message is quite simple. In the reply window click on the "More Reply Options" button and a new edit window appears with an upload dialogue at the bottom of the screen.

From there it's pretty straightforward to attach a jpg, or zip file as long as it's below the 500K total in size.

What I would like to see however, is a permanent upload/download section that categorizes all these file so that you don't have to search through hundreds or thousands of archived messages to find a particular file. I realize we're not there yet, but in a few months or a couple of years we will be pulling our hair out trying to find that particular file we lost in a crash sometime in the future.

Here's a couple of INS files attached as an example.

Gary

Casio XW-P1.zip

Casio_WK3K.zip

Casio_Instrument_Definition_Files_-_CTK-4000-5000-6000-7000_WK-200-500-6500-7500_LK-270_CDP-200R.zip

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Radon_22 (Hypnotuba). I'm EDcase who commented on your track.

I'm going to try out your sounds now... :D

Hello! Just to be clear, Radon_22 and I (Hypnotuba on SoundCloud -- Nextname on this forum) are different people. And thanks again for the comment on SC! Got me to post my hex layer here.

And I figure, I might as well post more sounds. So here they are. I feel presumptuous posting them, but hopefully at least one will be useful to someone. :) Some (most?) of the sounds are best when fiddling with the sliders and knobs.

(BTW, I am terrible at naming sounds, plus many times I name a sound and then continue to edit it so the name no longer applies exactly.)

Drawbar Organs 02-07-2013.zip

Hex Layers 02-07-2013.zip

Solo Synth 02-07-2013.zip

• Like 3

Hm, I'd better dig into the manual and take a look at how to upload patches. Any patch including "WhiterShade" gets my immediate attention. If I could nail that tone, I'd be a very happy man. My NI Vintage Organs nails it, but I'd like to have it on my Casio. My JV-1080 also comes close, but neither device is very portable or requires a computer. Another tone I need to work on his Winwood's from "Gimmee Some Lovin".

Mike, I do have an offbeat question for you and there's no sense starting a new thread to ask it. What's under the rubber pad on the inside of the XWs? Empty space (I hope)? If you don't know, I'll take a peek myself. I have an idea.

Hm, I'd better dig into the manual and take a look at how to upload patches. Any patch including "WhiterShade" gets my immediate attention. If I could nail that tone, I'd be a very happy man. My NI Vintage Organs nails it, but I'd like to have it on my Casio.

I hope it comes close! I think the WhiterShade tone is at least reminiscent of the original, but could use tweaking too. I can't take credit for it though, I got the organ settings from this website: http://keyboardservice.com/Drawbars.asp

I also am not super familiar with the song, but I figured a cleaner organ tone might work well on the Casio. Perhaps using the distortion/chorus effect would sound better than the rotary.

• Like 1

I hope it comes close! I think the WhiterShade tone is at least reminiscent of the original, but could use tweaking too. I can't take credit for it though, I got the organ settings from this website: http://keyboardservi...om/Drawbars.asp

I also am not super familiar with the song, but I figured a cleaner organ tone might work well on the Casio. Perhaps using the distortion/chorus effect would sound better than the rotary.

Thanks for the response and the link, I will try it out over the weekend. I've been checking craigslist for a Leslie or a good rotary pedal. I missed a 122 for $125 recently. I'm about convinced that the Leslie or a Ventilator (or similar, I want to check out the RT-20) is the ticket. Obviously, the pedals are much more portable and I'll probably go that route if I can. However, most keyboards don't have an effects loop.

The closest i can get with the gear I have now is a Digitech TR-7 and a chorus pedal in the chain, but I don't think it's very realistic. However, when I run it all into a Marshall, it cops decent "angry" tones like Jon Lord and Steve Winwood that are acceptable for live performance. I have one slot left in my JV-1080 and may fill it with the Keyboards of the 60s and 70s board. That's the cheapest option, but the least flexible. However, the board has some fantastic Wurli, Vox, and Farfisa tones on it as well,

I do have one grumble.... WHY do 90% of the rotary effects pedal demos feature guitars? :lol: The Behringer RM600 sounds surprisingly good. This isn't the best quality video, but the guy can play. However, after reading reviews on the construction quality, I remain skeptical.