Video Files on Forum ×

Hammond Organ

Will

I am trying to recreate the original 1960's Hammond Organ sound as used by Procol Harum on A whiter Shade of Pale.  I have been trying various settings and parameters but I just can't get it right.  Any help or advice will be most appreciated.

PX-560

• Like 1

Yes I tried that file.  It seems pretty close but on a instrument as sophisticated as the 560 I would have thought that it would be possible to actually replicate the Hammond.   After all many of the sounds/tones, especially the pianos, are bang-on.

I just wondered if there was anybody more tech savvy than I who could achieve the actual classic Hammond sound.

Thanks

The PX-560 is typically reviewed as having a poor organ implementation. Probably starting with the set of organ samples

that might improve this area of the instrument. Life is full of tradeoffs and there are some great low cost Hammond Organ

keyboards that are often mounted just above the Casio Stage Pianos and well as a lot of other products. A quick Google search will

narrow down to a few specific options in the sub $1000. $2000, $3000 price ranges.

• 4 weeks later...

The WK 3800 has a proper drawbar-organ engine, as do later WK and CTK instruments. The XW-P1, the MZ-X300 and the MZ-X500 also have a drawbar-organ engine. None of Casio's past or present stage pianos have a drawbar-organ engine. It's as simple as that.  

But...it IS possible to get to the AWSoP organ sound using the Hex Layer engine. The proof is here. Listen to the downloadable MP3; it's quite close IMO. Yes, you can't use it directly because it's for the PX-5S. But I don't believe the PX-5S offers any waves the tone's author would have used that aren't also in the PX-560. All you need to do is ask the author for the recipe; which waves he used and their relative volumes. Actually, all you really need to know is which waves; you can work out their relative volumes by using your own ears. (PS. He might also have employed some custom envelope settings, especially to get the percussion element of the sound.)

I don’t have a 560, but, as a Hammond player for over 50 years, I can tell you that it shouldn’t be all that hard to do…at least in theory.

AWSOP uses 3dbs for the verses…no perc or C/V. The choruses add some higher pitched db’s, as well as fast leslie.

I would say try making a hex layer organ patch, using the 3 main db pitches (fundamental/5th above/octave below), and have one of the assignable knobs crank in 3 higher pitches on the chorus, as well as kicking in a fast leslie effect with the mod wheel. 
I’ve been able to do that sort of thing on other synths, all of which were less sophisticated than a 560.

btw, the reason I don’t have a 560 at this time is because I’m waiting for their next model (NAMM is next week). Hoping for an upgraded PX5 or more pro level 560 to show up. Till then, a 160 fills my piano needs just fine… better than a couple Kurzweils or Yamahas that I have.

Let me know if you’re able to make that organ thing work… 

"AWSOP uses 3dbs for the verses…no perc or C/V. The choruses add some higher pitched db’s, as well as fast leslie."

PH"s keyboard player Matthew Fisher appears to disagree with you concerning the use of percussion: 

http://www.procolharum.com/awsop_reg-cerdes.htm

Of course, I'm sure he's wrong. He only played the tune originally, after all.