Video Files on Forum ×

Privia PX-160 music downloads

Sw8689

Hi, I'm a newbie, both here and with the keyboard. I purchased it for my husband and would like to download some music to sing along with for Christmas. I understand that there are some web sites that I can do this from.  Apparently I download to my Mac, then to the keyboard?  My question(s) is, what is the best site? And is anyone willing to give me step by step instructions..yikes, it all seems so complicated..

Without getting overly complicated myself,  you first have to locate on the internet, the many websites that provide ".mid" files in the public domain for download. These websites often have specific categories of song styles available, including for example Christmas music. Then you download the particular files you want and save those in your Mac in any folder or even on the desktop temporarily. Keep in mind, a midi file is also called an "SMF" but will always end with the file name ".mid". I can point you to some common websites for finding downloadable .mid files but if you google Christmas .mid files I think you will have no trouble, there are thousands of .mid files available on the Internet for downloading.

Now if you follow the PX160 manual on pages 25, 26 etc. you will find directions for connecting the PX160 to the Mac, you will need a simple USB cable (I think the PX160 comes with one already?) If no, these are the same type of cable used to connect printers and any other USB device to the Mac, which has a standard USB in port. Make sure you follow those directions for connecting and disconnecting the piano and the computer to make sure these "handshake" or recognize these are connected together. If you do this correctly, you will see a folder automatically created on your Mac called "piano". This folder automatically created is actually displaying the internal memory spaces contained in the PX160, not for your Mac. When you click and open that folder, you will see several other folders. The "Musiclib" folder is the one you want. as per the manual's description, there are separate folders when you open the "Musiclib" folder with numbers. Now all that remains is to copy and paste whatever ".mid" files you downloaded into the Mac into those folders. These files are now resident in the PX160 music library folder (musiclib), in the PX160 keyboard. Once you disconnect the Mac from the PX160, you can now access and play those .mid files the way you would play the existing song files already built into the PX160 from the factory. The manual describes how to select songs and play each. You will have to access and play one song at a time.

The other alternative is much simpler, if you wish to download and play midi files without using the PX160 you can do this directly with the mac. I believe the Apple computers will recognize and play any .mid file directly through the built-in sound card and speakers, depending upon which computer you have. but that is another story!