Sound issue with Hex Layer 039 GTR'Bass in split mode

flbo

When I use split mode with Hex Layer 039 GTR'Bass (Lower 1) and Piano (Upper 1) there is a sporadic noisy sound when hitting a key hard - sound is clearly generated by electronic, undistorted, sinoid, about 500-800Hz. The normal bass guitar sound is not generated as long as the key is hit. Disappears with the next key is hit. Occurs sporadically about every 10th-30th key pressed. Firmware Update V1.14 has been loaded (issue was there with Version V1.0 as well). Example file attached.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Issue_Hex_Layer_Bass_Guitar_in_split_mode.WAV

It is not supposed to sound like that.  That noise is a sqaure lead sound on layer 3 of the hex layer tone designed to come in at high velocity to emulate feedback. The tone is designed with the DSP distortion effect active. The reason it sounds wrong for you, your hex layer tone does not have the DSP distortion effect active.  Why? The PX-560 is limited to a single DSP insert effect for upper and lower tones.  If you choose more than one tone designed to use DSP, only one of them will have the effect.  Some of the piano tones also use DSP insert effects. Since piano is upper 1, it takes the only available DSP resource. 

How to workaround this?  You can lower to volume of layer 3 of the hex layer tone by editing the tone if you wish.  You can also lower filter cutoff. That will help it sound more natural.   

Hi Brad,

thanks for the quick answer - understand and will try out the workaround. As you write "some of the piano sounds use DSP insert effects" ... which ones do not? Then I´ll use those alternatively. Moreover: What do you mean by "lower to volume of layer 3" ... lower what? Editing the piano tone? Or lower filter cut off ... to which value?

Apart from that - wouldn´t it be reasonable that the keyboard prevents such non-supported configurations with ugly side effects? Imagine this happens on the stage ...

There is a list of tones in the PX-560 appendix.  The chart shows an asterisk next to tones with DSP. 

http://support.casio.com/en/manual/manualfile.php?cid=008017041

You can also press the tone edit button on the screen and go to effects DSP to see if it is set to "through", which is OFF, or to an effect algorithm, which is ON.  

This video should help you.  Lower the volume of layer 3 of your hex tone by going to the amp section of editing.  Use the filter section of editing to lower cutoff.  Or you could turn off layer 3 entirely.  Experiment and see what works best for you.  

Well - got the hex layer lesson and understand how to edit things. Meanwhile have a workaround slightly different to what you recommended as this had some issues. And not sure if it is really only the DSP double use ... see below.

First as Piano is Upper 1 and  BassGTR is Lower 1 I cannot edit the hex layers ... only the piano.

Just to see what it does with DSP edited that tone and found it uses DSP only for equalizing ... disabled that by changing DSP mode to "Through". So this should avoid double use of the DSP. Strange enough the phenomena keeps occuring when playing very loud. It seems "Through" does not really disable the DSP because next I tried ...

Setting Piano for Upper 2, BassGTR also to Upper 1 (in addition to Lower 1), disabled Upper 1 to avoid overlay with the piano but could edit the hex layer (interesting side effect ...). Still don´t know which value to set for Cutoff (can you advice here?) ... but ... the problem is gone anyway in that configuration ... even if I don´t change Cutoff nor disable layer 3. Guess that the DSP is not used for Upper 2 ... is that correct? This way of "disabling" the DSP for piano is more effective than setting it to "Through".

Now it seems this is a workaround ... a bit tricky, though.

Upper 1 always takes precedence of DSP line 1 over all other parts.  Basically, if you want a tone with DSP, use upper 1.  After that, any other tones chosen for upper 2 or lower 1 and 2 will not have a DSP effect.  I might have suggested that to you, but I assumed you wanted to keep DSP on the piano tone.  I'm glad you figured it out on your own.  Good job.