Video Files on Forum ×

Note Anomaly

10thumbz

• 1 year later...

This seems to be the most common hardware failure mode of the Casio PX-5S, and has been happening for me on the G#3 key for a couple of years. Blowing compressed air between the keys hasn't worked. Since the extra "ghost" note always has velocity 127 and I don't hit the keys that hard, a completely effective workaround for me has been to set maximum velocity to 126 in any stage setting zone where I might need to use G#3.

Blowing air might not fix it, but I bet a cleaning of the keyboard sensor will.  I've experienced this before with a MIDI controller.

Although I am not an electronic engineer by a long shot, I believe that velocity is calculated by the time between activating one sensor and the next.  If the first sensor is not activated, the software "guesses" that the time was instantaneous, and calculates that velocity was very fast indeed. 

I suspect that the engineering rationale was that it's better for a note to sound too loudly, than to not sound at all.  This has the one functional value of making things still work for non-velocity sensitive voices, either in patches or under MIDI control.  Or for us rock-n-foll folks who slam on the keys all the time anyway. 🙂