Hi LOBBARD, LEONH, RICK, BRAD et al 😊

Songwriter2015

Well, it seems, ( to me, anyway! ), like a lifetime since the incredible welcome I had, to the Forum, from all of you wonderful, talented, guys, turned rather pear-shaped, due, I think, in retrospect, to some genuine misunderstandings, some unnecessary "confrontation" ( with one other member, in particular! ;) ), and, basically, to my inability to, sometimes, bite my tongue and "keep my mouth shut!! ) :banghead:

Anyway, I return, briefly, from my own, self-imposed, "exile", mainly for one reason.......

......  To wish you ALL, The MERRIEST CHRISTMAS, and a 2018 that brings you ALL THAT YOU WISH FOR!

I say this, with absolute sincerity: That there is so much obvious talent, amongst so many of the stalwarts on the Forum, that, even though the life of the magnificent X500 appears, sadly, about to be consigned to history  -  ( in Europe, anyway! Thomann, Music-Store, DV247 have all removed it from their sales-lists, and even the enigmatic Bax Music have it on SIX WEEK back order, with a very pointed "no guarantee of delivery" rider!! )  -  I believe the Forum can continue to provide current owners with help, information, tips, tricks, and, hopefully, in amongst all the "tecchy" stuff, a little "light - entertainment" ...... and, of course, music!

Even though "activity" here seems to have dissipated, recently, I STILL believe there is much service that members can provide to each other, and that their shared "communication", even if this IS "the end" of the X500, can continue to benefit everyone!

For what it may be worth, I, personally, am keeping my fingers crossed, that the demise of the X500 ( because that, surely, is what it now appears to be! ), may signal, in time, the announcement of a new, even MORE impressive, "Professional" keyboard!??!

Should that be the happy case, then I truly hope that Casio, ( again, in the "English-speaking" market, anyway!! ), give it the support, in terms of: marketing, video-tutorials, webinars ..... whatever .... that they, signally failed to give our magnificent instrument!

I have to say, personally, and with much, genuine, sadness, that I doubt this will be the reality.

The X500 was launched after a long haiatus during which Casio, virtually,  ignored the "professional" synth market, and such has been their, even - less - than, half - hearted, support for their brilliant creation, that I can't believe they'll do anything other than "retire", once again, into the safe world of the consumer keyboard market!

In a nutshell - I honestly believe it's unlikely there will BE a successor to the X500!!

I SO hope that - not for the first time -  I'm WRONG!! 

Once again, the BEST of THE SEASON to one and all!

I hope that next year, in whatever form it takes, will bring that "Eureka - moment" you've been waiting for! :cheers:

Take care

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not sure about the status of the MZ-X outside of the states, because all of the online retailers like zzounds, American Musical, etc. still have both of the MZ-X models listed and the pricing is still the same as before.  I am a bit troubled by the lack of non-response from Casio (in general) in regards to the software complaints listed throughout many of the posts in the forum.  Understand, many (if not most) of the complaints were not bugs, but feature requests for a future software version and some of them were definitely good requests too.  But, then again, I work for a similar company where that seems to be the norm... When the shoe is on the other foot...grrrrrr!!!

Merry Christmas from me too, folks and welcome back, Chris.  Good to see you posting again. 

So it looks like Casio have dropped their incredible flagship keyboard in Europe? 

Casio UK don't even acknowledge the MZ-X500 as the Casio flagship model, of course,  and maybe that was some kind of clue?  Plus the ongoing lack of support videos in English for our English-speaking owners! 

One expected that this forum would be bursting at the seams with new members, by now. :)  But since no UK music shops are stocking the Casio MZ-X500, to be tried out by  prospective buyers,  a lot of people out there won't buy anything mail order before actually hearing one played. 

Glad I took a chance on the MZ-X500 and got mine from Thomann.   Like the multi-function pads and the great connectivity - loud speakers and all.  Plenty to explore yet on this model, so no hurry to upgrade yet. (famous last words).   

An upgraded model MZ-X500?   Sounds expensive!   Cant see it happening though, too soon.   Besides,  after paying £800 new price (before the big price reductions),  that would virtually leave me starting over:  What's the value of a 18-month old MZ-X500 with noisy keys? £250 - £300 tops?:)  

Better start saving. 

Hi Lobbard! It's a genuine joy to see your smiling face again!

I, too, am in no hurry at all to "upgrade" my X500! I'm making an assumption here, mate, but I'm guessing that, like me, you've still got a whole lot left to discover about our not-so-little gem? Personally, I'm STILL discovering stuff, on an, almost, weekly basis, that I didn't even know it could DO! 

Having said that, I'll still have a smile, from ear to ear, if I discover, sometime during the next year or so, that Casio have, indeed, got "something in the wind" when it comes to a successor / upgrade / whatever, to the X500!

Anyway, enjoy the festivities, Lobbard, and here's to a truly brilliant New Year!

Take care mate

Chris

9 hours ago, Lobbard said:

An upgraded model MZ-X500?   Sounds expensive!   Cant see it happening though, too soon.   Besides,  after paying £800 new price (before the big price reductions),  that would virtually leave me starting over:  What's the value of a 18-month old MZ-X500 with noisy keys? £250 - £300 tops?:)  

Better start saving. 

I did an enquiry  on a couple of sites using a cica~£1300 Yamaha as the trade up  product. I think it was AC Hamilton who replied  "£220 as they go for £300 on Ebay", so not a lot on your initial purchase :( 

Steve

6 hours ago, MrSteveVee said:

I did an enquiry  on a couple of sites using a cica~£1300 Yamaha as the trade up  product. I think it was AC Hamilton who replied  "£220 as they go for £300 on Ebay", so not a lot on your initial purchase :( 

Steve

Lowest price I could find today on Ebay was $880 US  used. - I think that's about $660 British Pounds

Edit: Found one used one in the UK for 450 pounds.

55 minutes ago, Rick Sterling said:

Lowest price I could find today on Ebay was $880 US  used. - I think that's about $660 British Pounds

Edit: Found one used one in the UK for 450 pounds.

That sounds a bit better.  The guy I was chatting to (it was on a web chat) finished the conversation with words to the effect that he didn't like Casio's so that probably had a bearing on his dismal offer 

Steve

2 hours ago, MrSteveVee said:

That sounds a bit better.  The guy I was chatting to (it was on a web chat) finished the conversation with words to the effect that he didn't like Casio's so that probably had a bearing on his dismal offer 

Steve

Because he probably gets a 60% margin on Yammy keyboards.  

If Casio want to get into workstation  market they have to put a  MZ on steroids and with  marketing to match then people will start taking notice I mean main thing for me was lack of how to do it videos on you tube like Yamaha or Korg  do it MZ can do so many things but not everybody have time to get into it and figure by himself musicians want to play not program at least most of them I had Korg M1 then M50 and even with that background without you tube videos it would take me longer to master (try)my Kronos and funny thing is MZ can do a lot for less money just show us how .

• Like 1

That's precisely one of the points I was trying to make, LEONH! I couldn't agree with you more!

From the outset, I've NEVER tried to hide my "love-affair" with the X500! :D

BUT, I'm afraid I cant express the same feelings about the way ( in the U.K. and Europe, anyway ) Casio launched it - and then proceeded to ignore it!

No videos, no tutorials.....nothing!

Like you, it seems, I'm a player NOT a technician, and without members such as BRADMZ, and RICK STERLING, I'd still be lost in the " jungle of ignorance "!! :)

I really don't care how "soppy" it may sound, I will, forever, be grateful to those two generous guys, for the way they've shared their knowledge with the rest of us poor mortals!

Right! It's 3am over here! I've been in the studio for the best part of eight hours, and I've just GOT to get some sleep!! 

Ah the life of a musician, eh?!?! 😂

Take it easy all

Chris

:)  "...No videos, no tutorials.....nothing!"...   (unquote)

Absolutely:  Cue a leitmotif (sad wah-wah trombone) for the above. 

Such a shame that two great demonstrators of Casio products  (Richard F and Mike M) seemed to have been put on a very short lead by their masters regards English-speaking customers' needs! 

No worries,  the Big Blue Beast  still commands pride of place in my little setup.   And plenty left yet of the generous Thomann 3-year warranty!  

People like Yamaha know that their largest market share for keyboard customers in the West lies in the retirement age bracket.  Who have the 'dosh' to buy a new keyboards every four years like the Genos, and they know they can get them to by their products at seemingly inflated prices for their flagship models.   The dealerships too have a vested interest in commanding a high mark-up on these products .    Why should these dealerships waste their time wanting to sell a lower priced Casio product with less margin in it for themselves?

I understand when the MZ500 & 300 series was launched that Casio had a younger customer age bracket in mind it wanted to attract?  Maybe in the East their are more younger buyers and players for Casio musical instruments like keyboards and pianos?   This maybe also be something to do with the market restrictions of why Casio, in the UK are not handling the MZ range for the same reason why Yamaha gave up selling their organs in the West several years ago?

Casio keyboards to me have always been  generally more user friendly and innovative, look and sound pretty good for the money  -the MZ500 in its blue livery and LEDS looks the business visually,.  The delightful Casio touch screen being far more attractive than the 'drab' touchscreens on Yamaha and Korg in my personal opinion

How long was the Casio MZ-2000 on the market, before it was discontinued -probably not for four years, as with the planned obsolescence  of Yamaha and Korg keyboards?  Again the MZ-2000 was not available for sale in the UK.    -I wished I had known about this 'board as I would have bought one at the time, as all the Casio keyboards here in the UK at that time did not have DIN type Midi sockets until the MZ series and PX5s which was frustrating for my use and interests.

Casio are a computer based company,and who knows what imaginative keyboards and pianos they will come up with next.   Come on Casio and cheers to you !

Like many other Japanese businesses, Casio Japan manufactures the products which are then marketed and sold by separate sales companies around the world. Casio Brazil produced at least 19 videos for the X500/X300 (in Portuguese) and apparently they have been successful with sales in their region. Other Casio sales companies haven't put much effort into marketing and after sales support.  I don't think that that lack of support should reflect unfavorably on Casio Japan as their job was to design and build the product.  Usually the sales companies tell the manufacturer what they think they can sell then the product is designed and built to some evolving spec.  Not all sales companies are fully committed to a new product when it is released.  I'm pretty sure the Casio sales companies around the world are all very independent of Casio Japan when it comes to marketing and after sales support.

The above is an opinion I hold based on working many years in the consumer electronics business as a design and quality assurance engineer. I could be wrong about Casio's business model though. ;-)

Casio can make one of the best workstations if they want to do they want that is something else I used to have FZ1 way ahead of any other sampler at the time yes better than Yamaha Korg ect being big company maybe instrument department is small fish for them they are Casio watches which cost same as Korg Kronos (MRG) so I think that their corporate policy is not very interested in instruments I look at my Kronos and my MZ and I think this is so similar for five times less money .

17 hours ago, Rick Sterling said:

I'm pretty sure the Casio sales companies around the world are all very independent of Casio Japan when it comes to marketing and after sales support.

That only goes so far. Failing to market a product in regions that competitors have been successful with similar products will eventually earn a local sales office a visit from their Japanese "taskmasters" seeking a credible explanation (and rightly so). I speak from experience too.