Video Files on Forum ×

Using DSP 2, and freely assigning DSP 1

Rudolph R-N R

I’ve discovered the power of the compressor for bad ass bass sounds- wowee! I play a lot of left hand bass so this is thrilling for me.  Problem is, I want another DSP available for one of the other 3 sounds, and haven’t figured out EXACTLY what the steps are.  Have no need for DSP 2 to go to accompaniment.

I’ve posted on this subject before, but even following Brads instruction this is not working.  

So for starters, here’s what I do understand:

1. There are only 2 DSP fx available on this board.  DSP 1 is automatically assigned to Upper 1.  For example, the reason why the VTW (Virtual Tone Wheel) organ sounds are only available when you use them in the Upper 1 slot is that that way there’s DSP 1 automatically available to it.  So if DSP 1 is to be used for anything other than the Upper 1 tone, then it has to be reassigned to another slot (Upper and Lower 1/2)

2. There are three places where DSP is assigned.  I don’t understand the relationship between these 3 different places for making a registration that uses DSP 1 & 2.
A. Main menu:   Effect:   DSP 1 / 2 Select:   Choose which DSP algorithm for DSP 1 and 2

B. Mixer:   Line Select for Parts 1-4 (scroll down to Page 4):   DSP 1 / 2 on/off for any 2 of the 4 tones

C. Tone:   Edit:   Effect:   Algorithm (DSP):   Choose which one for that tone, edit and save to User Tones

For example, when you go into the Main Menu: Effects, and edit the Reverb/Chorus/Delay, that editing is applied only to your current registration, which of course you can save.  Cool, straightforward.  

However, when I try the same thing with DSP 1 / 2, nothing works like I expect.
FIRST I chose in the Main:   Effects:   DSP menu, choose what I want DSP 1 & 2 algorithm to be.  
THEN I go to the Mixer and Line Select DSP 1 & 2 for two different Tones, and
THEN I use a registration that has 2 Tones with DSP saved to the each of the edited tones.

FINALLY, I save it to a registration.  Then to test it I switch to a different registration and then back to the one I was just editing.  But no cigar, only the Tone in the Upper 1 slot has DSP on it, the DSP 2 that I tried to assign doesn’t work.

Help please!

Thanks, Randy

None of the settings for DSP line 2 can be saved in a tone or registration since it's reserved for rhythms.  It's only a temporary setup if you decide to do it.  To do it, you must first select the tones you want.  Then go to the mixer to assign DSP line 2 to the tone you want.  Then go to the effects menu to select the algorithm you want for dsp line 2.  To edit dsp 2, go back to the tone it's used for and press edit. 

Thanks for the reply Brad!

Yeah, I got DSP 2 working sometimes, but saving it to a registration didn’t take.

Talk about a non-feature! With just two DSP resources available, this is terrible!  This is something that could easily be addressed in the next software upgrade.

Am I the only one that misses this?  I NEED organs with rotary dsp, and NEED bass with compressor applied.  These two sounds are not the same without it, esp. as you gain access to the fron panel buttons for rotary speed and 2d/3D harmonics for the organ.  And bass sounds POP with the compressor, have been struggling for awhile with my bass sounds, I have to get too loud with them otherwise.

There is always more than one way to do things.  Without knowing what sound you are going for I can't really  offer suggestions. I just uploaded a new bass tone today with increased sustain and a little thicker.  Give that a try.  You can do quite a lot with the bass synth as well.  I'm pretty sure we could get the sound without DSP.   Can you upload a demo or the tone you created?  

Brad,

It’s just the Finger Bass 1, very little tweaking done, what transformed it was using the compressor DSP.  It’s one example of a good, round, organic bass sound.  I’ve auditioned the bass sounds in the Synth section, and while some are interesting, they’re super aggressive.  Being able to sound “natural” and still in your face without overwhelming everyone with a tubby tone is a challenge with bass patches.  I’m running this thru my QSC K10, and the right tone really sings thru that speaker.  Even thru the X500 speakers, that tone with a compressor has power to it.

I’ll load up your bass tone and give that a try.  

Once again, thank you, and Merry Christmas!

Randy

Brad, so i downloaded your tweaked bass patch.  Sounds like you used Finger Bass 2 as a starting point.  I tried all the Finger Bass patches, all 5 of them, thru the compressor, including yours, and much prefer Finger Bass 1 with compressor applied.  Of course sound is totally a matter of taste, but compressor or not, Finger Bass 1 is my favorite.  It was weird, it didn’t make much difference when i applied compression to your tweaked sound.  Anyways, give FB 1 a try with a fair amount of compression, it really pops, and to my ears sounds really good.

I saw you made some tweaks in the Edit section.  Did you also tweak in the Advanced?  The only difference i heard when going back and forth between the default and your settings in the Edit menu, was cutoff and velocity sense, i couldn’t really hear much or any difference with the 5 different settings you changed on the right hand side of the Tone Edit parameters.  

if i have to use the work around you talked about with another forum member to temporarily setup two DSPs for a registration, i guess that’s what i’ll have to do if i want it bad enough.

PS So I don’t have to start another topic for this question- is there anyway to stay logged in for a long time?  I logged in this morning, checked the stay logged in box, and this evening i had to log in again.

I guess i’m lazy or just haven’t gotten past the basics cause even as it is i spend many many hours trying to build up registrations, the goal now is a full bank of the bread and butter registrations that’ll fit the majority of the jam situations i’m In.   And then a bank of registrations for more “far reaching and extreme” sounds.

The fast tweak places i go that’ll be very noticeable is typically cutoff, resonance, sustain, and i usually max out the volume, giving me more headroom elsewhere, and with bass and some other sounds i drop it an octave, pushing the split point up to F# above middle C, giving me an expansive range for the bass, as though i had closer to 88 notes to work with- i always want more keys on the bottom, two and half octaves on the top is squeezed, but mostly doable.  61 notes!  I’m coming from my Nord Stage 88.

That was cool you used velocity sensitivity to achieve some of the effect of a compressor, leveling the sound out a bit.  I’ve never heard much difference when adjusting Decay, i suppose with headphones and or solo playing with some sounds you would hear some of those subtleties. I also use Legato sometimes, its cool on some patches if used subtly, i get a little twang going over an octaves span.  

I hear such fantastical voices and expression from some keyboards and have desire in that direction.

The bank of registrations I’ve created are mostly Splits with a strong bass, sometimes organ for body which surprisingly can add some definition in some cases.  I use the Knob 1 as programmed, its incredibly useful for adjusting the bass for live playing.  It’s not like i’ve got these registrations volume normalized from one to the other, so having a quick tweak on the bass is fantastic, esp since i tend to play bass heavy.  I like the Knob 2 as well for the Mid EQ, but am willing to sacrifice it to being able to dramatically raise or lower reverb and delay levels.  I find it helpful at the end of a song to raise the ambience level with the fx to go out with a flourish.  I’ve also set up the mod wheel to control the volume of the rhythm pattern i’ve Assigned to that registration, super cool to be able to just bring it in and fade it out. Haven’t messed with an expression pedal yet, i understand my Yamaha FC7 probably isn’t going to perform as desired.

Guess I’m rambling here.  Anyways, thanks as always, just trying to get insights to tweaking parameters you’ve found make a profound difference for different types of sounds.

Thanks,

Randy