Video Files on Forum ×

Observations of seasoned keyboard musicians giving advice for beginner

gfmucci

I'm a 71 year old keyboard novice looking to buy yet another keyboard.  I've owned 2 or 3 over the past 40 years, messing around with them for a year or two and then selling them.  I've played wind instruments for 15 years in various bands and orchestras.  But I want to embark on another keyboard adventure - this time to spend more time on it and actually learn something.  My mom played piano and organ, and my brother adlibs honky tonk.  I missed the keyboard gene.

Here's the thing.  On some forums, and especially stores, the advice seems to be from professionals who believe everyone who is thinking about buying a keyboard intends to be another professional.  They don't seem to be able to relate to beginners and keyboard duffers.  Or they assume we hobbyists want to transition to an acoustic piano.  Sure, a $500 Yamaha may have a more accurate rendition of a grand piano than a $200 Casio.  But learning doesn't require "the most accurate sound."  Or they will say "the lighted keys are a gimmick", or "the learning aids aren't any good - I should take lessons from a live teacher..." yadayadayada.   Ya, sure, for $35 per half hour - that ain't gonna happen.  Or I need 76 ir 81 keys to be able to play all the music I come across.  I'll be lucky to learn music that uses 30 keys at my age!!  There's only so much time left to learn anything.

This is all to say that much of the advice given gives little or no consideration to the wants, needs, expectation, or capabilities of the propective purchaser.

My take on the Casio LK-280 is that, while not the "top of the line"-sounding instrument, it is 90% there.  I've listened to Youtubes comparing equivalently priced Korg, Yamaha, and Casio sounds and, yes, I can tell the difference.  The Casios are brighter sounding.  The Korg and Yamaha sound richer.

But for what I'm looking for, the Casio seems to nail it with decent sound, many feataures of keyboards selling for $100 or greater more, and the teaching features that will be fun for my wife and me.

I may sound like I'm attempting to justify my purchase.  Oh well.

Please let me know what I might be missing in all of this.  Rant over.

gf

It sounds like you have pretty much sold yourself on the LK-280, and that is fine.  As you say, it is not "top of the line", but it IS Casio's "top of the line" lighted key model.  The only feature I can think of that might cause you some frustration is the non-backlit display, that you have already expressed concern about in your other recent post about the LK-280.  So, that brings you to considering the trade-offs.  There are other Casio models at a slightly higher price, that do have backlit displays and most of the LK-280's "learning" features, but they lack the lighted keys.  You would find these same trade-offs in the equivalent Yamaha line.  One thing I would recommend avoiding at all cost is slightly less expensive models that drop the touch sensitive keys, and have no ability for expression, at all.  No matter how hard or how soft you hit the keys, everything comes out at the same volume - like an organ - but without the expression pedal.  As a wind instrument player, I think you would fine this very confining.

Best of luck with your decision !

Yes, I have.   And my impatience paid off.  I was going to buy a brand new one, but shipping would take at least a week through Amazon at this time of year.  But I found an "open box" "like new" with a full factory warranty for $30 less than the $199 that delivers a few days sooner.  I ended up separately purchasing a clip on light for $15 that takes care of the non-backlit display issue.  Problem solved.