Video Files on Forum ×

Edit sample start/end points

Carter

for me, it's just a challenge getting the timing and the trim/truncate correct. 

say I want to sample a 2-bar drum thing to a pad via audio in. I set it up, I do what the manual says and select "Long," and start recording.

the capture is fine but it's not a perfect 2-bar loop.

the problem is truncating/editing so that it can become a seamless loop 

Once a good sample is recorded, trim the start point to the proper position then save the sample.  After that, it's all down to how the pad plays the sample.  The pads can repeat play the sample.  It's just a simple matter of adjusting the pad playback timing until it repeats properly.  Those settings are under pad setting timing settings.  Don't ignore system tempo either.  Repeat play on the pads are affected by system tempo.  If you have recorded a 120bpm drum loop, why would you leave system tempo at 98bpm....or whatever...?  So make sure system tempo matches the drum loop tempo.  

Thanks Brad. I’ve done that as per manual w mixed results— basically getting 2 measures of 4/4 bc the timing setting only goes to quarternote x8.

ive also had trouble saving and retrieving samples. User should not have to reinput the edit parameters each time a sample is called up!

its odd bc in some ways the Casio is easy to use, but in other ways it’s totally fiddly....

Moontom, it sounds like you have not saved your pad bank edits.  It does, however, sound like you have properly created and saved the sample itself by using the pad edit>write button.  So your work with the actual sample data ended there.  The next process of changing timing was actually working with the pad settings, not the sample data. The two are independent of one another, and for a good reason.  Once your pad settings are final, you have to save the pad bank.  You'll see a bank edit button at the top of the screen that takes you to the write button.  Pad settings are saved as a bank of 16 pads, not individually one by one.  

As far as your timing issue, I promise it's totally doable.  There are 3 timing settings that need to be configured. These are designed to give you the most flexibility in timing a loop and allows you to maintain sync with a rhythm.  This system allows you to use the same sample on several pads at the same time but each one has a different timing.  It's incredibly efficient, flexible and inspiring.

1. Loop timing unit

2. Loop timing unit multiplier

3. System tempo

System tempo needs to be roughly set first.  Listen to your sample carefully and count the BPM.  Set your tempo to that. It may be helpful to use tap tempo or turn on the metronome and listen.  After that, choose the loop timing unit you want, anything from a whole note to 1/48 triplets.   Next up is the timing multiplier.  This multiplies the loop timing unit you set above. Leave it set to x1 if you want the loop timing unit to work at face value.  After everything is ajusted in the pad settings, you may find you need to fine tune system tempo click by click until the loop is perfect.

• Like 2