Effect on external bass through the XW-P1

Slypou

You asked earlier about the microphone input. Did you manage to get that one to work? The same rules apply to the instrument input (but NOT to the stereo audio input) except this time you apparently WANT to add effects, which you certainly can. Note that the mic and instrument inputs are in parallel; the same settings (aside from the gain knob of the mic input) apply to both. 

• Like 1

Yes both Mic and instrument works, I can hear them directly but I don't understand what to do to add effect.

To do it, there is no specific steps described in the manual neither in the companion document.

Maybe there is something related to the Oscillator or the DSP for which I'm not sure how they work.

Any steps I may have missed somewhere?

You can add reverb by increasing the reverb send level for the external part in the mixer. You can similarly add a chorus effect if the Cho/DSP parameter in the Effects menu is set to Cho. If that parameter is set to DSP instead then you can select a DSP effect from the Effects menu. Note that the "DSP" parameter of the external part has to be On for the external part in order for the DSP effect to have any effect on it. Also, if you are playing the solo-synth tone then the DSP effect in the solo-synth tone overrides whatever you have selected in the Effects menu. (So if the solo-synth tone has no DSP effect you will not hear a DSP effect.)

The rules of the XW-P1's effects system are pretty complicated but I did my best to break them down in The XW-P1 Companion.

• Thanks 1

Another question, is it possible to make new effect from the XW-P1?  I can make user setting from the existing effect by playing with the adjustment knob but I'd like to know if I can make completly new from another process? For exemple, the ring modulator give a complete different tone, this is the kind of sound I want to create.

You can make a custom effect based on any of the primary algorithms listed on page E-67 in the User's Guide. The parameters are described on pages E-88 to E-91. Just select a preset in the Effects menu, press Edit, choose the algorithm, adjust the parameters then save to a user effect memory. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Not while you can hear the sound (presumably from your external source). But you can apply a noise gate that will kill background noise from an external source in the absence of a signal; see page E-68 of the XW-P1 User Guide. It's the N.Thresh (Noise Threshold) parameter. You might have to play with N.Release as well.  

• Like 1

If you are saying that you hear noise added to your external signal after you pass it through an effect, there isn't too much you can do. AFAIK the XW-P1's analog-to-digital converter for the INST IN and MIC inputs is only 10 bits, so just the act of digitizing the signal is going to add some noise. Perhaps the effect you have selected makes that noise worse. For example, the Distortion effect would tend to do that (naturally). 

The other thing is, are you connecting your bass guitar directly to either of the MIC or INST IN inputs? If so, you're actually lucky to hear anything at all because the impedance of the guitar's output is too high for those inputs. You could instead try connecting the guitar to a direct box and from that to the XW-P1. https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/di-boxes/