Please recommend me an audio interface for recording the PX5S

dc2k

Guys, can you please recommend an audio interface to hook my PX5S up with my PC.

I would to be able to record audio directly into Reaper while I'm playing the PX5S and also record the midi data from all 4 zones into 4 separate tracks.  

Then I want to be able send midi data from the 4 tracks back out to the 4 zones and record it again.  

What do I need? Do I need a 4 channel audio interface?

Cheers guys, totally new to recording and it's difficult to find out what I actually need. 

The PX-5S only has two outputs (right?). If you want to put each of four zones on separate tracks in your DAW, you'd only be able to record two audio tracks at a time anyway, so a two-track interface will do.

Besides, assuming the timing is consistent, it would be easier to record the audio in multiple passes using only one sound at a time instead of zones (unless you're fading between zones or something like that).

• Like 1

Thanks Joe. 

If I'm a playing a 4 zone tune on the PX5S, I want the midi for each zone to record on separate tracks in Reaper so I can then fix any mistakes and play it back out to the PX5S.  

Is that possible with a two-track interface? Does the interface have to have any other capabilities?

Hi dc2k.  Like Joe said, if you are able to get midi to reaper by using a cable from the PX to your computer, you should be able to set reaper to receive specific midi channel information on a specific track.  Many DAWS by default receive all midi signals on a single track - just to make it easy to record on a track by just plugging in a keyboard and GO.  You will have to be sure to setup reaper in multitrack recording mode and specifically assign the inputs for the MIDI tracks.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2018 at 11:44 PM, Choppin said:

Hi dc2k.  Like Joe said, if you are able to get midi to reaper by using a cable from the PX to your computer, you should be able to set reaper to receive specific midi channel information on a specific track.  Many DAWS by default receive all midi signals on a single track - just to make it easy to record on a track by just plugging in a keyboard and GO.  You will have to be sure to setup reaper in multitrack recording mode and specifically assign the inputs for the MIDI tracks.

Thanks Choppin. I was playing around with it today. I was able to get zones 1 & 2 into two separate tracks in reaper by setting the midi inputs on the tracks to channel 1 and channel 2 respectively. I guess channel 3 and 4 will do the other two zones and  you can use other channels for other instruments...

On 1/14/2018 at 11:44 PM, Choppin said:

On 1/13/2018 at 1:24 PM, Joe Muscara said:

If I read you right, you will record MIDI data in reaper, each zone on a different track, and then play that back out the PX-5S. For that much, you shouldn't even need an interface, just a USB cable. The only thing you need the interface is to record the audio back in Reaper.

Hey, do either of you know if you can trigger the arpeggiator by outputting midi from my daw. I have a stage setting with an arpeggiator but I just discovered that that it does not trigger from midi I send out to the px5s from my px. Perhaps there is some setting on the px5s I have to turn on? 

Hi dc2k,

I've been scratching the old coconut on that one.  I haven't been able to figure it out but I could swear there was a way.  In theory, if you can send a start stop MIDI clock signal, it should be able to start a song sequence, a phrase, or an arpeggio on the PX-5s.  I'm going to continue to explore this - you've got me curious.