Disable one zone while enabling another

Tom Williams

Hi folks.  I am trying to execute two opposite tasks with one pedal (pedal 2): When the pedal is up, Zone one sounds, and zone 2 is muted.  When the pedal's down, Zone 2 sounds and zone 1 is muted (or disabled).

It's easy enough to do zone enable for pedal 2 and enable pedal 2 for zone 2, but how to turn off zone 1 at the same time has me flummoxed.

IMO this is actually a pretty basic ask; enabling and disabling combinations of zones using the foot pedal. The lack of that capability is an unfortunate omission, again IMO. I wanted to do the same thing on the XW-P1 when I first got it. But it doesn't do it either, at least not without some programming. I finally figured out how and it required using the step sequencer. I posted an example in the XW-P1 downloads section. The way the step sequencer was designed makes it a pretty flexible tool. But of course the PX-5S doesn't have one of those. 

From memory so I may miss a step: Press edit>stage setting>common>controller>pedal>target>set it to layer volume.  Go to target 2 of the pedal and set that to a different layer volume.  Go to the pedal min max levels and reverse the values for one target.  You can adjust pedal on/off rate to create a smooth crossfade or fast switch.  Change the pedal action to toggle or momentary, depending on how you want it to work.  Go to stage setting zone edit>controller enable> and make sure your pedal is on for the proper zone.