Looking for more Upright Acoustic Pianos

Px5Seth

Hey everyone, 

So I just bought my Px5s and I like it, but Im having a hard time finding some believable upright pianos. I found "Old Upright" in the downloads, but that and "Lo-Fi Upright" just seem like slightly eq'd grand pianos. 

Any possibilities for some more upright variations?

I know a little about those downloads. 😉  Old upright and Lofi upright are made from split pitch shifted piano samples.  That alters the timbre of the original sample.  The samples I used are the only piano samples in the PX-5S, the same used for all of the grand piano sounds in the keyboard.  The PX-5S cannot load new sample data, so you'll have a hard time finding any more believable upright piano tone for it than these.   

• Like 1

Try layering GrPno Mellow and Mono Piano 1,both have less of a brightness on them.

Tweaking them by adding a little more dynamic little or less dsp delay on the bottom,

make the signal mix all wet and go there forth to get a suitable wet dry mix getting that 

sound. Remember to give it a little or none of delay, chorus balancing the amount been added.

Also, keep in mind there are many different upright pianos that may all sound different. Uprights vary in size, sound and condition just like grand pianos.  What I created using split shift sounds very very much like the piano I grew up playing, a Brambach large upright piano in poor condition (minus the poor tuning it had). The upright you have in mind may be totally different than mine.  

Hi,

Although I cannot directly help you in finding an ideal upright piano, I was in a similar situation to you when I was trying to get my perfect E.Piano. A couple of Forum Members responded to a post I made, and after spending an evening tweaking what they had uploaded to these Forums I ended up with my all time favourite E.Piano sound. I made a point of giving them the credit as without their uploads (onto the Forum) I would have never ended up with my perfect E.Piano sound.

I have a Korg PA4X (£3,000) and previously a Yamaha Tyros 5 (£3,500). Neither have an E.Piano sound that comes close to the one on my PX5-S (in my honest opinion).

I fully intend to purchase the PX5-S replacement when it arrives (hopefully this month at NAMM), but if I cannot get the same E.Piano sound from it then my PX5-S won't be going anywhere !!

Best of luck, hopefully someone will point you in the right direction on the downloads section.

Chris

p.s. have a look at Dave Weiser's piano sounds, maybe one of those might fit the bill (for a small amount).

What specific tonal characteristics are looking to duplicate? Possibly less sustain, softer hammer sound, more muted tone altogether? Or are trying to get a more clanky, harsh ringing sound? I have played many uprights from 2 Baldwins, an old Steinway upright (I mean really old-still in my friend's house unless it fell through the floor weighs a ton) as well as a variety of classroom uprights and my brother-in-laws immaculate upright compact Yamaha. every one of these sounds very different-but most had a much more compressed duller sound than say a Yamaha/Steinway/Bechstein grand. if that's all you need, i agree with some of these posts-possibly using a less bright sound with very little reverb and a duller attack might be what you are after. And a little detuning might help (most uprights I played were never very well tuned though so that may be unnecessary for you). if you are looking for more of a "tack" piano sound-hmmmm, not sure how this can be achieved on the PX except through possibly layering a bell/ celeste or similar sound for the attack but with a very short sustain, and slightly detuned from the main piano sound. Just a thought.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much for all the input guys.

I think Im looking for something along the lines of the Queen Upright from the Nord Stage 2.

If you want to hear an example of it either check out the nord site. I love lots of their uprights, but this one has a tone I just really love

• 2 months later...

So just an update. Ive been working with my Alesis Fusion and its stock sound called "Studio Upright" and since it is just a modified holy grail grand piano, Im looking at how Alesis modified the tone to make a believable upright from a concert grand sound. Its amazing what you can learn when you start reverse engineering other sounds.

Anyhow my point is that Ive been trying to apply the same principles Ive found in my Fusion and then trying to apply those to the concert grand tone in the PX5s. It is helping but to be honest theres some edits I can seem to figure out if the PX5s can do. For one thing Im looking at keytracking edits or in other words, being able to change the filter/amp/lfo settings based upon where Im playing on the Keyboard.

Another thing Im working on is being able to apply an eq/resonance edit with the mod wheel on the fly. The goal would be to go from a more open sound (i.e the lid of the piano is more open) to a more muted sound (i.e. the lid is closed and the damper pedal is on to cut the decay and release)

Does anyone know if these things can be done?

Incidentally another upright tone I'm loving is the Modern Upright from Addictive Keys. If anyone has created or know how to create a patch like that I would love to hear it.

Thanks everybody!

1 hour ago, Brad Saucier said:

You can change filter and amp tracking (key follow) but not LFO.  You have to use a hex layer tone to have access to that tool. 

Can I create a hex layer that will control the piano layer? 

Meaning can I set EQ keytracking or velocity envelopes on the hex layer that will effect the piano layer?