Re The Sampler - Exactly what IS the problem --

Songwriter2015

On 17/01/2018 at 12:56 PM, Carter said:

Are the playback of user tones operating correctly when using the Sample Manager?

Is the sample volume able to be set easily to levels even with midi and system track?

f you are going to create samples to Sample Manager.
I advise you to pre edit the waves before playing in Manager.
Samples with good volumes are easier to edit later on the keyboard like ZTN.

36 minutes ago, Silvano Silva said:

f you are going to create samples to Sample Manager.
I advise you to pre edit the waves before playing in Manager.
Samples with good volumes are easier to edit later on the keyboard like ZTN.

Absolutely!!  This is the only way to have full control over the sample and the various parameters that are not available in the X500. 

What parameters are not available, that I should be sure to edit before uploading in Sample Manager?

Should I basically have it completely prepared as I wish for it to sound in MZX?

I'm not too familiar with preparing samples for realistic playback like the software companies out there.

2 hours ago, Carter said:

What parameters are not available, that I should be sure to edit before uploading in Sample Manager?

Should I basically have it completely prepared as I wish for it to sound in MZX?

I'm not too familiar with preparing samples for realistic playback like the software companies out there.

In most cases, there are a variety of parameters available that can be adjusted using a computer, rather than using the keyboard itself.  For example, you can increase or decrease the loudness of the sample, trim the starting and stopping points, set the loop points, adjust the tone using EQ, remove or limit noise using Noise Reduction, etc.  You pretty much limited to the features of the software.  Understand, not all samples will load "ready to play" as there are other adjustments that need to be made once the sample is loaded.  Basically, you're playing with the RAW samples when using software.  When the samples are loaded to create a tone in the X500, you can then further fine-tune the samples using the tools within SampleManager.  But, the X500 needs to be connected via USB to make those adjustments in real-time.

The PADS are pretty much the same, except you can't use SampleManager for the PADS (yes, a disappointment!).  But, using the computer software, you can again fine tune the samples before they are loaded to the PADS.  This will also allow you to trim the samples because the PADS are limited in the amount of time depending on where you select to store them (yes, I found this out the hard way).  Some of the USER spaces are designated for 3 seconds samples and others are for 9 second samples.  (The sample I was importing was approx 8.3 seconds.  I couldn't understand why the sample was being cut off at the 3 second mark until I tried loading the sample to a different USER space and that's when I figured it out!  Also, when you record PAD samples using the X500, the keyboard will automatically place the sample in a USER space for the size selected, SHORT or LONG.  Loading samples using the IMPORT feature does not do this as you select a USER space to load and there is no warning the sample will be cut.)  Again, there are some adjustments that need to be made with the PADS so the samples playback correctly, but not as extensive as those adjustments with tones.

I use the X500 extensively with the classic rock cover band I'm in and use different samples to re-create the sound effects from the original record, pretty effectively.  For example, I've tried a long time to get the sweeping filter sound from The Cars - Moving In Stereo using the XW-P1, but there's too much stepping that really degrades the effect.  Once I had the X500, I sampled the sweeping filter from the record then trimmed/truncated the sample to fit into the time allowed.  Adjusted the timing and loop settings in the x500 and PRESTO!!  I've done this with several songs, again Pink Floyd's - Time and Money using multiple PADS to re-create the different sections where the sounds changed.  The X500 works brilliant for that!!  In fact, I've just added the PX560 to my rig, so I have a pretty decent arsenal (MZ-X500, XW-P1, PX-560M, Novation Bass Station 2).  One of these days, I'll need to take a photo of the rig and post it on the FB site.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, CoreyW said:

In most cases, there are a variety of parameters available that can be adjusted using a computer, rather than using the keyboard itself.  For example, you can increase or decrease the loudness of the sample, trim the starting and stopping points, set the loop points, adjust the tone using EQ, remove or limit noise using Noise Reduction, etc.  You pretty much limited to the features of the software.  Understand, not all samples will load "ready to play" as there are other adjustments that need to be made once the sample is loaded.  Basically, you're playing with the RAW samples when using software.  When the samples are loaded to create a tone in the X500, you can then further fine-tune the samples using the tools within SampleManager.  But, the X500 needs to be connected via USB to make those adjustments in real-time.

The PADS are pretty much the same, except you can't use SampleManager for the PADS (yes, a disappointment!).  But, using the computer software, you can again fine tune the samples before they are loaded to the PADS.  This will also allow you to trim the samples because the PADS are limited in the amount of time depending on where you select to store them (yes, I found this out the hard way).  Some of the USER spaces are designated for 3 seconds samples and others are for 9 second samples.  (The sample I was importing was approx 8.3 seconds.  I couldn't understand why the sample was being cut off at the 3 second mark until I tried loading the sample to a different USER space and that's when I figured it out!  Also, when you record PAD samples using the X500, the keyboard will automatically place the sample in a USER space for the size selected, SHORT or LONG.  Loading samples using the IMPORT feature does not do this as you select a USER space to load and there is no warning the sample will be cut.)  Again, there are some adjustments that need to be made with the PADS so the samples playback correctly, but not as extensive as those adjustments with tones.

I use the X500 extensively with the classic rock cover band I'm in and use different samples to re-create the sound effects from the original record, pretty effectively.  For example, I've tried a long time to get the sweeping filter sound from The Cars - Moving In Stereo using the XW-P1, but there's too much stepping that really degrades the effect.  Once I had the X500, I sampled the sweeping filter from the record then trimmed/truncated the sample to fit into the time allowed.  Adjusted the timing and loop settings in the x500 and PRESTO!!  I've done this with several songs, again Pink Floyd's - Time and Money using multiple PADS to re-create the different sections where the sounds changed.  The X500 works brilliant for that!!  In fact, I've just added the PX560 to my rig, so I have a pretty decent arsenal (MZ-X500, XW-P1, PX-560M, Novation Bass Station 2).  One of these days, I'll need to take a photo of the rig and post it on the FB site.

Too bad the MZ-X has a limit on the PADS 3 banks A B C.
The same is limited to registration banks.  My MZ-X is ALL FULL!:banghead:

2 hours ago, CoreyW said:

Nice post, CoreyW,  that's teaching!  cheers! 

Thanks guys!  Your comments are much appreciated.  And no, I'm not Mike Martin in disguise LOLOL!!

I'll let you in on a little secret...This is the type of information you learn and are accustomed to when you're the National Service Manager for Allen Organ Company in PA.  31 years ... an loving every minute of it.  So yes, I have a bit of knowledge when it comes to sampling because that's what AOC pioneered for the church organ world back in 1971.  We were also the parent company for the RMI line of instruments too, but we no longer do synths or electric pianos.  Remember the RMI Electra-Piano 300 or 386X or how about the RMI Keyboard Computer 2 (KC-2)?  Yup, that was us.  We now leave that job up to the synth manufacturers LOL!

Cheers!

• Thanks 1