Knots real time use in polyphonic sounds

dcaro

AlenK, I think that's what he is referring too. I never did work out how sometimes the filter cut off in a patch only played the new value when the key was released and played again, yet with other patches it worked in real time as the cut off knob was sweeped.  :blink:

The answer is simple. Only the solo synth allows the filter cutoff frequency parameter to be modified in real time (i.e., without needing to trigger a new note). However, a workaround is to use the filter in the Wah DSP effect instead. Its "cutoff" frequency (which may be more accurately called a "center" frequency since the Wah filter curve is probably more like a bandpass filter than a lowpass filter) can always be modified in real time. Just set the Wah effect's LFO Rate to zero. If you are playing a Hex Layer sound on an XW-P1 (not available on an XW-G1, of course) you can adjust the cutoff/center frequency directly (the Manual parameter) with the "8/16" slider. If you prefer to use a knob or you are playing a PCM Melody tone, assign a knob in a Performance to CC#17. Be sure to enable the knob for the zone playing the tone. Set the Resonance of the Wah filter to taste or assign another knob to CC#16 in order to allow real time adjustment.

To my ears the Wah effect's filter controlled in the way I describe gives a reasonable approximation of the classic filter-sweep sound.

• Thanks 1