Using CGP700 MIDI recorder with external midi module sounds

Milo

Hello fellow forum members. I am not a newbie, rather an old fart getting back into it after a 2-decade long hiatus. Lots of tech advancements to catch up with.:banghead:

So here's the issue:

I would like the cgp700 to be my master keyboard without using a laptop or DAW. I understand I need a USB MIDI host box such as Kenton's. Now, once that connection is taken care of and I have the cgp700 triggering my Roland D-05 and my Mininova, how on Earth do I record tracks on CASIO's MIDI recorder so it plays external sounds on different MIDI channels?

Could it be that the MIDI recorder is meant to play only internal sounds or am I missing something really obvious?

I tried the manual, but I don't see where I can assign midi out channels to individual tracks.

Please, please help.

Milo

Hi Milo.  The MIDI recorder in touchscreen models does not transmit out via MIDI. (Not even on the mighty MZ-X500).  Your best bet is a computer and sequencer software for controlling mutliple devices with one sequence.  

The chart from the manual, below, shows the items (listed under port A) that will transmit midi data out.

Screenshot_20180120-090658.png

Thank you Brad for confirming my fears. 

I have to admit that I feel cheated by Casio. What's the point of calling the recorder a MIDI recorder if it won't transmit MIDI notes to other instruments?

I believe it is something that could be easily fixed by means of a software update, but I won't be holding my breath.

I bought the CGP 700 primarily because of its keys and integrated sound system...they suit my piano playing style perfectly. I also like the sound of the grand piano and many other factory sounds very much. But not being able to use its onboard sequencer to play external sounds is a egregious oversight, IMO. My CASIO CZ-5000 could do that on the fly more than 30 years ago, for crying out loud!

I guess I will have to cave and get a laptop with a DAW in order to be able to use the cgp700 as a master controller, but I am already dreading the latency and other issues that are inherent to using a computer. But to finish on a positive note, The CGP700 still makes for a terrific stand alone digital piano - with nothing coming even close to it in its price range.