Video Files on Forum ×

A sneak reveal has been posted.

XW-Addict

AlenK, it was more an observation from my curiosity, highlighting the irony that many (incorrectly) perceive a keyboard to be a "home" keyboard simply because it has icons above/ below the keys, or that it has on board speakers.

The MZ-2000 was most definitely aimed at the pro arranger market. Its features and price point on release showed where they were aiming it. However, it was much more common for arranger keyboards to have icons all over their key beds. It seems that it's the "synth" world that look down on such keyboards for not being pure enough.

More irony - many saw the HZ-600 as 'pro', though also saw the HT-3000 as 'home'. Yet the HZ600 was an HT3000 MINUS the onboard speakers and built in rhythms/ accompaniments. The HZ used the exact same synth engine as the HT. They would also see the HT6000 as 'home' compared with the HZ600, despite the HT6000 being many times more powerful with its synthesis engine. Go figure how that logic works.

As Casio sold a ton of toy keyboards with built in speakers, sadly that's how many perceive all Casios. Yamaha also sold quite a few entry level keyboards, but at the upper end of the toy category, crossing over into semi pro. Roland and Korg pretty much kept to the pro areas in comparison.

I guess with Casios, they're very much a case of don't judge a book by its cover.

1 hour ago, BradMZ said:

Unfortunately too many people think "speakers in a keyboard equals toy".  Just like some say "icons equals toy".  This madness has to end.  The CT-X series is a serious line of keyboards.  The CT-X5000 has 15 watt per channel speakers, just like the MZ-2000 had.  I'm impressed beyond impressed. 

There's also a lot of keyboard snobbery involved. Roland released the HS60, which though not a big seller, was nothing more than a Juno 60 with built in speakers. Regardless, it was never seen as anything less than a Juno 60.

Still, the reason I am able to own so many Casios is because of these keyboard snobs keeping used prices low! Perhaps I shouldn't complain too much...!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BradMZ said:

I still don't get why people are so emotional over "pro" instruments.  Insecurities?   

Badge snobbery. The same as designer label snobbery. And likely justifying how much they had to pay for their 'pro' keyboard!

Then again, a few years back I wore my Casio tee-shirt to a Prodigy gig. Had quite a few people ask me where I got it, as it "looks so cool"! Lots of retro lo-fi enthusiasts love underdogs and consumer level tech, which is also why you see a lot Atari and Commodore tee-shirts at electronic music gigs.

Are they emotional? Discounting the spotty-bottomed juveniles at online sites like Gearslutz I think they are just snobby, which I don't usually think of as an emotion. Most pros (I am not one) immediately dismiss anything with the Casio logo on it. Of those that don't they still have pre-conceived notions about what separates pro from home keyboards. Speakers are high up on the list. Icons below or above the keys are also on the list. Full-size 1/4-inch audio outputs are on the list. The color of the case can be on the list (but since the advent of the Nord Lead it really shouldn't be!). 5-pin MIDI I/O can be on the list. The size of the headphone jack can be on the list. And on it goes.

• Like 3