Video Files on Forum ×

USTED

• 6 months later...

Thanks!  There are so many songs that I grew up with, and this is one of my favorites (but I have MANY favorites!).

BTW, I've been spending some time viewing and searching for videos explaining theory.  I"m getting some stuff, but I can see that a lot of what they talk about is irrelevant to someone like me who doesn't read music, and the number of flats and sharps on a scale is meaningless info.  BUT, I did have a couple of years of studying guitar (not classical, just songs), and I DID gain a lot of understanding of keys and how they related to each other. I was just an adolescent, but I believe that all that info is still "wired into" my brain, and I'm trying to bridge the memories from those lessons with the experience I've gained in the last 3 or 4 years just playing by ear.

Anyway, I'm just rambling, but I have a feeling that it's worthwhile for me to do that.  I've been letting myself be driven by "instinct" (with prudence), a departure from my normal behavior.

I've found a lot of people on the internet that "play by ear", and what they play is completely good music. Simply by playing and practicing you find out what's possible with your instrument. To come up with something just in your head and write it down in music notation is a talent I never had, you'd have to be some kind of musical Einstein to do that I suppose!