CTX series premier (NAMM 2018)

Brad Saucier

It's NAMM day.  Time to start a conversation about new keyboards.  Here is the official press release for the new CTX series keyboards.  The new AiX sound engine looks like a bright future for Casio keyboards.  The article is too much to boil down here so I suggest reading it.

http://www.casio-intl.com/asia/en/news/2018/0125_ct-x5000_x3000/

• Like 2

The CT-X3000 doesn't have separate line outputs? That's nutty.

42 mixer channels for a board with 64 note polyphony? Nutty.

And, although it's not clear it sounds a lot like there is only a single DSP unit. If true that's a downgrade from the MX-Z models and the PX-560, which offer two and which was in turn a downgrade from the PX-5S, which offers four. I guess we'll have to wait for the manual to appear to know for sure. 

Can't help but think that the AiX sound source sounds almost to be an anagram of IXA, which was used way back in the 90's with the CTK1000!

The CTX keyboards look good, though you can see the similar overall physical design is taken from the XW'S. The LCD display and some of the controls also look very XW.

I am disappointed that Casio seem to have dropped their interest in pro synths. The XW'S were great, if slightly flawed and idiosyncratic synthesizers. It really wouldn't take much to develop an already existing platform further to make a stunning and more powerful XW synth.

Plus with the other 3 of the "big 4" Japanese keyboard manufacturers successfully releasing re-issues of their classic synths, be it emulations (Yamaha reface, Roland boutique), or genuine analogue recreations (Korg MS/ Odyssey), Casio are really missing out by not re-issues the CZ series. Time and time again, I see people calling out for it. The CZ's were the most successful, most respected and most loved of Casio's synth endeavors, and with the processing power today it would be easy to make a modern, expanded version with a ton of extra features (i.e. real time parameter changes, added filters, extra waveforms, full CC control etc.) 

Other than including a few CZ wave forms in the XW'S, Casio seem to be ignoring their history and legacy. Come on Casio, give us the CZX-1 that we've all been waiting for!

• Like 3

Unless Casio has something big in store for summer NAMM (they usually don't) then it looks like they may indeed have dropped their pursuit of the pro market.They certainly aren't playing in the same sandbox as Yamaha, Roland and Korg when it comes to pro keyboards. Sure, the sandbox it looks like they've decided to play in is even bigger and more lucrative. But I can't help but be personally disappointed. Given how old the PX-5S is, the fact that Casio still did not come out with its successor at this NAMM, five years later, will lead people who have been patiently waiting for one to look elsewhere.

Re the AiX Sound Source, the name at least sounds promising: Acoustic Intelligent multi-eXpression. As the press release says "AiX Sound Source Reproduces the Natural Sound of Acoustic Instruments. The keyboards provide high-quality tones across every category of instrument, faithfully reproducing subtle nuances and gestures specific to each type of sound."  It sounds like Casio might have taken a further step toward integrating articulations into the tones, similar perhaps to SA (Super Articulation) on Yamaha boards.  

BTW, is Casio doing streaming at this show like they have done in the past? Maybe we will have a chance to actually _hear_ some of these new AiX sounds.

Now hold on wait a minute lets recap here. First we have those kick ass PX Piano / keyboards , Then we got the 

MZ X arrangers which also hit. Then the LK keyboards which you can mix four tracks to you're liking.

And now we got CTX 700/3000/5000 how cool is that and a new sound engine for this range and the aim is 

performance , studio , home.  

I mean we can guess but these are nice upgrades for this time where new sounds are ruling a new vibe here. 

The way I see it Casio is providing a keyboard for each and every level on the moment that is growth. 

I wasn't expecting this much now they revealed a bit more and yes I lust a pro keyboard in addition with the goodies

of hexlayers, AIR and what the XW provided as well the PX5S.  But dang I don't want to jinks any other expectations if any. 

10 minutes ago, BradMZ said:

I love that so many are so enthusiastic about Casio products that they feel like Casio is moving too slow.  This is great.  😁

Six or more years to provide upgraded models in a given keyboard category, especially if that category is considered "pro," is indeed too slow. I didn't say they weren't doing anything. It's just that what they're evidently busy doing isn't going to win them accolades from professionals of the type they received from potential (and then actual) PX-5S buyers five years ago. 

42 minutes ago, BradMZ said:

Some short CT-X700 audio demos here....  The piano sound is impressive alone.

http://www.casiomusicgear.com/products/ct-x-series/ct-x700

Sounds like velocity-triggered slides on the acoustic guitar and some noises and harmonics on the steel-string guitar, although curiously no string squeak (so-called "fret noise") on either. The tenor sax is still an embarrassment. Granted, that's a hard one to get right but the Motif and some of its less-expensive derivatives do it well. 

26 minutes ago, SonnyDaye said:

No upgrade YET for the PX-5s??

Dexibell here I come! :(

Speaking of Dexibell here's a video from LAST year's NAMM:

Perhaps Casio should try to get her to demo its pianos. She'd get people into the booth but then again they might not pay attention to the products! 

3 hours ago, AlenK said:

Sounds like velocity-triggered slides on the acoustic guitar and some noises and harmonics on the steel-string guitar, although curiously no string squeak (so-called "fret noise") on either. The tenor sax is still an embarrassment. Granted, that's a hard one to get right but the Motif and some of its less-expensive derivatives do it well. 

They have really outdone themselves this time.  Those audio demo's were for the CT-X700.  Maybe the sound will impress you more if I told you the price.  MSRP in the press release says $259 but we all know street price will be lower.  $175 is more like it.  😉 

7 minutes ago, BradMZ said:

Those audio demo's were for the CT-X700.  Maybe the sound will impress you more if I told you the price. MSRP in the press release says $259 but we all know street price will be lower.  $175 is more like it. 

So maybe the CT-X3000/5000 will have even better sounds. I'm sure Casio will upload similar demos for those models; it's just a question of when. 

The CT-X700 will be around $200.. So in Holland my guess is that it will be UNDER that price! And DAMN, not even the PSR-E series (Which cost DOUBLE that) Sound that good (Apart from the Sweet! voices which are still in a league of their own, Casio just can't get velocity switching flutes right or saxes)

I think the CT-X5000 will be about 400-450 euro's? Sounds about right? 4 variations, 64 notes of polyphony, completely new sound engine, let's see how this evolves ;) Sounds like a FANTASTIC deal. They'll sounds more like a Yamaha Tyros than the E series of Yamaha does! And that's insane for the money.

14 hours ago, AlenK said:

It's just that what they're evidently busy doing isn't going to win them accolades from professionals of the type they received from potential (and then actual) PX-5S buyers five years ago. 

I too was hoping to see a PX-5S replacement. But I also had my eyes set on Yamaha, for a MOXF replacement, and that didn't happen either. Instead, Yamaha launched 2 new PSRs.

I think it's all about sales. I'm sure the PX-5S replacement is coming soon, just like the MOXF replacement. But while there are still enough buyers for their current boards, both Casio and Yamaha they're taking their time. Anyone who can no longer restrain their GAS is going to get a current board (some will choose another brand, but some will stick to what they've been eyeing). Then, when the successors are out, many of those people are going to upgrade to the new boards - that means 2 purchases in a relatively short time. I'm not a sales expert and I have no idea what the actual numbers are, of course. But my guess is, if they haven't put out the replacements yet and they haven't discontinuted their current boards either, there's probably a careful calculation behind that.