key -> arpeggio -> phrase: retrigger, quantize, etc.

c0l0rad0an

These questions are all about..   (wait for it!)  ...  timing!

In a 4/4 song, imagine a 4-beat (1 bar) bass phrase, transposable, played by zone 1 keys, looping.

If I release a C key in zone 1 and play an F in zone 1,

- when does the transposition happen?  immediately?  quantized to a quarter note?

- when does the phrase retrigger (start over at the beginning)?  quantized to the next "beat 1" (start of new bar)?

What if I play the new note ahead of the beat, or behind the beat?  Does that get the phrase onto the wrong quarter note?  Or off the beat entirely?

Is there a stage setting with such a setup?

Are these answers in the documentation somewhere?

These questions are based on an (imagined ?) model where the phrase always finishes (all 4 beats) once it starts, it always starts on beat 1, it can transpose mid-phrase (possibly with some quantization restrictions), and can tolerate some amount of timing slop on the part of the player.

Whew!  Still reading?  Thanks!

Phrases can either stop when a key is released or continue looping when released.  Transpose occurs at the next beat during loop play.  It stays in sync if you are slightly out of time.  Yes there are many stage settings like that.  

Here is one where I use transpose with a looping phrase:  https://soundcloud.com/bradmz/american-bluegrass  

Here is one where I start and stop a phrase using key play along with an arpeggio pattern in another zone:  https://soundcloud.com/bradmz/updated-new-order-bizzare-love