Casio comes out with new lower end boards NAMM 2018

Rudolph R-N R

NAMM 2018 is here and no new software updates to the MZ line.  In fact, it looks like they’ve got a new chip with higher quality sound that goes into this cheaper line of boards, which apparently range from $174 to $700?  CT-X700 to CT-X5000.  Only description of CT-X5000 i found  The soundcloud demos are impressive: Lowest end models sound examples.

Am disappointed that an upgrade to the PX-5s didn’t come out, that seems like a slam dunk given they’ve already done most of the work with the new screen and user interface.  That’s probably just a matter of time though, they seem to have sold tons of those boards and it’s established Casio with serious live performing keyboardists that want a decent action and sounds at a low price and weight.

Am also dissapointed they don’t seem to be putting any more resources into developing the MZ series as of yet.  There have been a lot of good, reasonable ideas put out by forum members, things like being able to use the organ sliders for other functions, and making the hex tones easier to use and edit, etc., etc.  My guess is that the mid-level arranger market is hard to crack, there’s tons of competition, even with the MZ being unique and an outstanding value.  It’ll probably take them another 5 years of being a value leader in this segment with continual investment before they’d make the kind of break thru that they’ve had with the PX-5s.

Edited by Randelph
Brad feedback/request
  • Thanks 1

They testing the market and showing what they can do it takes time to get into workstation market the high end one I said before if Casio did workstation which is technically superior to the others but demand high price for it how many of you including myself would buy when you have choice of Yamaha Korg or Casio and all cost 2000/3000 £ even if Casio would have better specs ?

Is that ok now Brad?  I thought it would go without saying that it was my opinion.  You’’re right, it’s only been out about a year now, for some reason i was thinking it’d been at least a year and a half, maybe 2 years.

@ Leonh, personally i don’t think they need to go to another board, i just wish they’d put more resources into finishing this one:

- Sliders used for other purposes beyond organ and hex tones

- Ipad editor for hex tones, and better onboard editing/use of hex tones

- Factory sponsored sample and Tone packages, hopefully free

Of course there’s more, but those are the main one i have.

Randy

• Thanks 1

I feel confident they will release some more sounds for the MZX series.  They'll probably add some of the new sounds in CTX line.  I also see them doing at least one more firmware update.  

I can say there will be no iPad editor.  The touchscreens replaced computer data editors that previous non-touch screen products had.  They won't put both into one product.

@ Brad, well, i hope you’ll let it stay in this forum, i wrote to the people with the MZ in mind, and most of what i had to say is relevant to the MZ, as well as your response.

Feeling frustrated, i had almost finished a post in response to your first one, and i lost it (i saw you had posted, checked it out, and the copied text didn’t take).  Oh well, done for the day.

• Like 1

It would be out of character for Casio to start building high end workstations at Yahama, Korg, Roland, and Kawai price points. I don't think they would sell well. Casio has always undercut the competition giving the buyer bang for the buck. Casio has delinated itself on price with the Grand Hybrid which is a different product line. These compete with the more expensive Yahama Clavinova, Kawai, and Roland digitals. In a way Casio has lost some of its advantage because the competition now makes more home and entry level gear at lower price points cutting into Casio's market share at the lower end. From the little I've seen so far these new low end boards have new sounds and a new sound source.  The CT-X 700 sounds impressive for $175 board.

I just logged in because I made a point of congratulating Randelph.
Users from parts other than Brazil are beginning to understand why the MZ-X has been forgotten especially for its price that is superior.
We are expecting a new update and have already been exposed here dozens of improvements in the SOFTWARE where most users are professionals who already work with other brands of professional keyboards have already reported these deficiencies including me.