Video Files on Forum ×

Anyone know if it's possible to trigger the arpeggiator from external midi?

dc2k

I have a midi chord sequence in my DAW playing it out to the PX5s which has the arpeggiator turned on for a few zones but it just plays the chord sequence without arpeggiating them.  

Is it possible for the arpeggiator on board the PX5S to be triggered by external midi?

Maybe there is a system setting I need to change?

33 minutes ago, AlenK said:

No replies. So here's an idea: To effectively enable the arpeggiator send a MIDI message to change from a stage setup with the arpeggiator off to another with the arpeggiator on. The two stage setups would be otherwise identical.

not sure how I'd get reaper to change the stage setting on the PX5s.

I am not familiar with Reaper but I can say that the PX-5S MIDI implementation document shows two methods. One is to use a Bank Select CC command with an MSB of 70H (112 decimal) followed by a Program Change command specifying the Stage Setup number: See pages 9, 22 and 23. You must also have the MIDI parameter Stage Set.Chg in the PX-5S set to "PrgBnk."  See page E-40 of the PX-5S User's Guide (Tutorial). The other method, which is described on page 17 of the MIDI implementation document, is to send a "Stage Setup Number Select" NRPN command. In that case you must set Stage Set.Chg to "NRPN." 

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

Thanks for your reply, I am trying the NRPN method, page 17 of the midi doc gives values 11: lsb  and mm: msb value, please can you explain what these values are. Apologies if the answer is in the document I do not understand it.

Ps i used the search engine.

Thanks

An NRPN command sends two bytes of actual data: a most significant byte (msb) and a least significant byte (lsb). "mm" is a placeholder for the former and "ll" for the latter. But it looks like the manual has a small error. It omits what to set the lsb of the command to. 00 is likely correct. If you are unfamiliar with MIDI NRPN structure and usage just Google it. You'll get far more information than I could give here. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Did switching the Stage Setting work to activate the arpeggiator?  From everything I've read n the midi manual and from experimenting,  there does not seem to be a way to activate the arpeggiator externally.  The function seems specifically related to onboard key presses.