Video Files on Forum ×

Casio In Retreat Mode? An open letter to Casio USA...

moontom

Dear Casio USA....

So...the big NAMM reveal from Casio in 2018 is that it's back to being a budget arranger keyboard company? Hope I'm wrong, but it looks like the announcement of the new sound source and CTX line was basically it. There was no announcement about OS updates to any existing products -- and let's be real, if you don't have new hardware to show dealers, you'd better be able to promise software-delivered upgrades, something/anything to spark interest. Otherwise you are DOA.

I recognize that new products take time to bring to market. From the user perspective, though, this NAMM show offered Casio a chance to offer a general overall signal about where its higher-end "professional" level product line is headed. Based on reports from the show, it looks like it's not the direction most of us -- who rejoiced and voted with our dollars when Casio announced its return to pro keyboards -- would want.

That leaves existing Casio users -- particularly those with the MZ-X and the touchscreen Privias -- wondering what it is realistic to expect in terms of updates and support going forward. Casio's competition all dropped new or refreshed products this month, and if history is a guide, those companies are already offering OS updates, tutorials and related materials to new and prospective customers. Meanwhile, from Casio, it's crickets. We have to assume that nothing further is in the pipeline.

I still believe in my MZ-X500 but find myself tempted by what's in the marketplace for arrangers right now. It sure would be great to hear something (anything!) from Casio about future plans for its pro keyboard operation. I hope Casio recognizes that the users of these instruments rely on their products every day, and thus have different relationships with their gear than those who buy budget keyboards. Nobody's asking Casio to divulge big secrets here, but please (PLEASE) give your loyal and longstanding customers some indication of what to expect in the near future.

That's not too much to ask.

Respectfully,

TM

MZ-X500 owner

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good luck finding anything like the MZX for anywhere near its price! Casio has no real rivals at its price level. That is where Casio rule. The MZX in itself is a budget keyboard. Nothing is close for its price with the features this has. Marvel in what Casio has produced at this price because really it is still unreal today...

4 minutes ago, Lee33 said:

Good luck finding anything like the MZX for anywhere near its price! Casio has no real rivals at its price level. That is where Casio rule. The MZX in itself is a budget keyboard. Nothing is close for its price with the features this has. Marvel in what Casio has produced at this price because really it is still unreal today...

Amen!

Winter NAMM is not the end of new product announcements and firmware updates for the year.  The last firmware update for the MZX series happened a few months ago.  The PX-560 was updated last April.  The touchscreen Privia models were announced at summer NAMM 2015, not winter NAMM.  The moral of the story, it's not the end.  It's only the beginning.  😉

• Like 1

Dear all,

I'm not going to stupidly try and hide the fact that I was very pessimistic about Casio releasing another "professional" keyboard this year.

After all, it's there for anyone to see in the "Casio....NAMM" thread!

I've also, as an owner of the X500, never hidden the fact that I believe that Casio's "support/marketing" of the keyboard was nothing short of, "lousy" - at BEST, and "pathetic" - at WORST!!

Whether or not U.S. owners defend ( or not ) Casio..... Whether they " put-down " some of the justifiable " complaints " from members from " elsewhere " ......

Whether they make some spurious ( imho ) argument along the lines of: " Casio believe the potential market in 'A' / 'B' / 'C', is more "lucrative" is, again, imho, totally redundant!

If Casio SELL an instrument in the U.K./EURO Zone, then they are, by definition, obligated to SUPPORT that instrument, and the owners who've parted with their hard-earned, in order to purchase it!! 

CASIO, in THIS  Zone, made not the slightest effort to support or assist buyers ( OR, for that matter, PROSPECTIVE buyers ), apart from with "a couple" of very brief, and not exactly in-depth, videos from Rich Formidoni, and Mike Martin!!

Please, let no one try to argue with this, because it's there for all to see --- or rather, in this case --- NOT see!!

Casio failed, abysmally, on all levels, to support, assist, and RESPECT, the musicians whose cash they were more than happy to take!!

BUT --- All those incontrovertible facts DO NOT alter the fact that the X500 is a FABULOUS keyboard!!

Despite some posters, over the months, trying to deny the fact, it simply HAS NO competition at its price-point!......

...... And the arguments for an "upgraded" model may be nice to have in a wish-list --- but it doesn't make that 'upgrade" a necessary thing!

From a personal standpoint, I use my X500 every single day, and I've not found myself thinking, yet, that it SHOULD have this feature or that feature!!

A WISH does not a NECESSITY make!!

Likewise, finally, Casio are under no obligation to release a new Professional keyboard, of the kind we'd all like,....

.... ( and what IS that, by the way - answers on a postcard! 😊 )

just because people say they SHOULD!!

Just because there's no new "Pro keyboard" at NAMM.

Just because Casio messed-up with their support of the X500. 

Just because they don't comply with the dozens and dozens of "demands" from members/owners re "upgrades / features / products / whatever" doesn't suddenly make them a BAD Company!!

It just makes them, (if my 40+ years as a working musician, live and in the studio,  mean ANYTHING! ) the SAME as every other Company!!

Join some different products Forums and I'll guarantee you'll read the SAME KIND OF POSTS as you read here!

There ain't nothing new in the world of the musician!!

Just different shaped pickguards!!

Take it easy all

Chris 

2 hours ago, Songwriter2015 said:

Whether they make some spurious ( imho ) argument along the lines of: " Casio believe the potential market in 'A' / 'B' / 'C', is more "lucrative" is, again, imho, totally redundant!

The suggestion that Casio hasn't pursued upgrading certain pro keyboard models because other markets are more lucrative was never presented as an excuse that exonerated them. It was, rather, merely a credible explanation for their observable behavior. And calling something spurious and redundant doesn't prove it is either, by the way. You have to make an actual argument if you want to refute my supposition.

PS.  Can you explain why you use ellipsis and capitalized words so often? I think your points would be made equally well, if not better, without them.

10 hours ago, moontom said:

Dear Casio USA....

Nobody's asking Casio to divulge big secrets here, but please (PLEASE) give your loyal and longstanding customers some indication of what to expect in the near future.

MZ-X500 owner

Timely question! Casio's President addressed this in a recent interview:
(FULL ARTICLE AT: https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Executive-Lounge/At-Casio-a-generational-split-opens-path-back-to-prominence)

"But Kazuhiro takes a darker view of the company's development efforts, acknowledging that what he has to say may run counter to his father's point of view. "Casio is losing its founding spirit," the ability to dream up innovative products from nothing, the president argued. "Our own management systems are part of the problem."

"As a company, we've become less appreciative of young engineers working freely and experimenting as they please," he said.

Casio's electronic musical instruments business is emblematic of the problem. The business is hardly a minor one. Casio and rival Yamaha control more than 80% of the market for electronic keyboards, and instruments overall brought in a healthy share of the company's 321.2 billion yen ($2.86 billion) in sales for the year ended March 2017. But innovation there has withered.

Several years ago, after years of the musical instruments business bleeding red ink, the head of keyboard development planning identified cost as the greatest strength of the department's upcoming offerings. Designers set about ensuring this was the case, making keyboards smaller, even at the expense of functionality, to cut down on pricey shipping materials.

The focus on price-competitiveness "is not wrong in and of itself," Kazuhiro said. But, he explained, engineers would likely prefer to put their talents toward innovating and dreaming up new offerings than to simply cutting costs."

You also get hints at their direction from the last 2 annual reports:

27292423_1550049848444393_1667643889_n.j

27394333_1550052195110825_1069485152_n.j

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So sit tight - the future looks pretty bright to me! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

5 minutes ago, Casiofun said:

I agree the sky has not fallen at Casio-2.86 billion in revenue from Musical Instruments is quite impressive.

Sorry - you must have misread that. 2.86 billion is their total revenue from all products (watches, calculators, cameras, projectors, etc.. Mostly watches LOL). The article states that musical instruments make up a "healthy share" of that 2.86 billion.  

• Thanks 2

Hi all,  while we would all like better and more, I think that sometimes our views become a little distorted with the passion of our problems and we need to look on things from a different perspective at times so may I use Songwriters post to look at things from a different perspective and one that may help open the picture a little.

13 hours ago, Songwriter2015 said:

I've also, as an owner of the X500, never hidden the fact that I believe that Casio's "support/marketing" of the keyboard was nothing short of, "lousy" - at BEST, and "pathetic" - at WORST!!

I guess that this depends on the part of the world you are looking from and for that matter what markets Casio was aiming the product at. Yes there are Videos and tutorials out there from Casio that we cannot understand, but just because they are not in English does not mean they are not supporting it. We know it is not sold in the UK so why should there be support for it here? . You may ask why it was not sold in the UK? Well when a product is launched you would not do it globally, it would cost too much to set up and if it failed, would be an economic  disaster with units built but unsold. Instead you launch in the areas you expect to sell the most. If its successful you roll it out further. If not, you scale back or stop.

Whether or not U.S. owners defend ( or not ) Casio..... Whether they " put-down " some of the justifiable " complaints " from members from " elsewhere " ......

Justifiable complaints. I guess it depends who is complaining and where. If people complain on a forum, what is the chances that someone from Casio has read them (or auto troll for them)? and if they do, would they actually speak to someone who can document the changes?. And if we assume that that did happen, then someone would have to evaluate the problem/request and deicide if it is worth doing, financially. Why financially? well although we are all passionate about the music and keyboards, Casio is a company, and as a company they are interested in only one thing, making money for the shareholders. It is the prime reason for their existence, and it all revolves around money (unfortunately).
If they produce the perfect keyboard, support it fully, add all the enhancements we ever needed, we would be ecstatic and, they would go bust! Casio must sell their products constantly to survive, and a happy user with the perfect product is unlikely to buy another.

Casio employ marketing directors who's job of course is to direct the company in the market, that is their sole job and one would expect that they know the markets for the products that they are selling far far better than us. They look where they can sell in the multi 1000's anything less is not worth looking at

If Casio SELL an instrument in the U.K./EURO Zone, then they are, by definition, obligated to SUPPORT that instrument, and the owners who've parted with their hard-earned, in order to purchase it!! 

Not at all. They are obliged to honour the guarantee period of the product, and also ensure it has not violated any health & safety problems that were not originally known, and that's about it. As mentioned, Casio is a company who's prime existence is to make money. If supporting a product helps in future sales, then yes they will do it, if the product is end of life, not selling, obsolete, then no, it is just a waste of their internal revenue and leads down the path to insolvency.

Speaking of support, personally I worked in IT for 40+ years through programming, R&D, support up into team leading and finally complete project management (one billion GBP company) so I have some experience in how these things tick over. At the lower end of the chain it is rare that anything can be fixed or enhanced unless it comes down from the top . Even the bug list (and I am sure that most of the complaints aired here are on a bug list somewhere) has to be vetted and approved by someone before anyone can work on it, and these enhancements/fixes are all time and cost estimated. Enhancements are put on the "yes one day" list or given to R&D (is it known, is it under development for the next product, Will it increase sales for current product and if not, can it be easily and cost effectively be developed for the existing product)

One must pity the support department, a company is a bit like a mini world, each Section in this world has to justify its existence and has a budget plus a set of obligations, in turn the sections have departments, all working the same.  Now the support department is the unwanted runt of the lot. Why? It is because it brings in to income to the department, just costs money. no one wants the support department in their budget and if they have it, they keep it as small as possible and on a tight reign (R&D is different) , Ooop sorry I digress :)

BUT --- All those incontrovertible facts DO NOT alter the fact that the X500 is a FABULOUS keyboard!!

Again, Directors job to dictate the market areas based on their knowledge of what will sell? The fact that we would like it different is pretty irrelevant. I spoke to a couple of companies when I was looking for the X500 in the UK. Obviously they did not have one to sell, but both said it was not something they wanted to sell anyway. At a guess, not enough profit and too few sales for it to be worth their while to stock. Remember if Casio wants to sell to the UK market they would need to see sales in the umpteen 000's not a couple of thousand

Please, let no one try to argue with this, because it's there for all to see --- or rather, in this case --- NOT see!!

Argue? , no not at all, pure discussion

Casio failed, abysmally, on all levels, to support, assist, and RESPECT, the musicians whose cash they were more than happy to take!!

When I worked at the lower levels I so wanted to add in enhancements, fix areas that I knew needed improving, begged, pleaded, even threatened to get my own way, but rarely did. As I went up the ladder so to speak, it changed from a personal knowledge of the product code to how the uses and the company (The world) perceived the product, it uses and how they needed it. The perspective changed from my wanting to change things, to how the users wanted /needed changes, but again, discussing with my peers more often than not had little effect. It was not until I reached the upper levels into the full project management you fully understand why. Then I was the one that fed down the yes/no/working priorities. Yes it would be good, yes its was needed, yes the users are screaming, BUT if I delay this here, it affects the delivery HERE! and that will cost us millions. Yes its a good idea, yes it will make the product brilliant, but sales said it will only marginally affect output so where do I get funding from to pay R&D time!  Now think of the effects of a multi billion pound complex world like Casio.

Now how can one even think of discussing this any different :)

Steve

Thanks for posting that Scott! Interesting....

Just want to say that my post was intended only as a request/plea for information from Casio USA, not to gripe about or in any way attack the keyboard!

Rick -- I'm still finding many amazing things about the MZ as well, in large part because of this forum. 

and Rick, Scott, and Brad thanks for sharing and helping so many of us make use of the many features on the MZ! I feel quite certain I wouldn't still own this board if it wasn't for this forum!

Here's hoping Mike or someone from Casio shares some intel here someday!

15 hours ago, Scott Hamlin said:

Timely question! Casio's President addressed this in a recent interview:
(FULL ARTICLE AT: https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Executive-Lounge/At-Casio-a-generational-split-opens-path-back-to-prominence)

Nice find, Scott. The article explains much about what has been happening. The concentration on cost reduction in Casio keyboards has been obvious. The development of the CT-X products., which would have happened in 2017 and some of 2016, is one result of that focus. The innovation there is strictly in Casio's ability to give so much for so little. (An instrument with 61 full-size keys and good sounds for $175?? Crazy.)

It's encouraging that the current president apparently wants to increase other types of innovation in order to get Casio out of a "negative spiral," as the writer calls it. So yes, the future does look bright.

With regard to the annual reports, the line "Expand high-unit-price keyboards that feature high-quality rich tones and rhythms" appears below a photo of the MZ-X500. That keyboard is the embodiment of that vision. But it's not a guarantee that other high-unit-price keyboards will appear in the future (apart from console pianos, which is one of Casio's core businesses). They likely will IF sales of the MZ-X models have met Casio's expectations. But I doubt anyone outside of Casio knows the sales numbers.

41 minutes ago, Songwriter2015 said:

ALENK - Alen, NOTHING ( sorry, promise it's the last time I'll use them ) I wrote was aimed at you, or anything you may have written!

I honestly have no idea why you would have thought it was?

Just a coincidence then. You do know that I had made those conjectures (limited resources, more lucrative markets) in more than one post by the time you wrote that? Consider my reply to be an invitation to discuss it. If you don't think that is the reason Casio has appeared to drop the ball (others would say they haven't dropped the ball at all) then how do you explain it? Incompetence? Malfeasance?

The article Scott posted would seem to support what I (and others) have conjectured. It says that Casio has of late been concentrating on cost reductions, which unfortunately caused some quality problems. Dealing with those would have used up even more resources than normal. Concentrating on cost-reduced products also favors the home-keyboard models, since pro keyboards do tend to cost more.   

This is a very refreshing conversation. 

Official insight from Casio is very rewarding. However, without direct information about products and future products from Casio, we are left to only speculate as we are. 

The information revealed by Casio in the interview shared by Scott could take years to manifest for us users to enjoy. I'm guessing at maximum, 10 years for Casio to operate and be the company it has hinted at becoming. No one wants failure for Casio here, yet we must be honest. If Casio continues the with the idea of taking quality serious, communication and transparency from its officials with users is paramount. Especially for a product like the MZX-500, where communication has not had much participation from Casio directly.

My true point here is that although departments of Casio have proved they are capable of offering quality technology, implementation of this quality to other areas of electronic music gear, along with trail and error, and having a new vision for the Company, will not all become aligned overnight or in 3-5 years imo. Imo in 3-5 years we should anticipate this vision finally debuting in some capacity with a product. Until then, like this current transitioning period since the MZX was released, I believe like the original topic stated, Casio could do great in taking small steps to offer small improvements in existing products as well as communicate with transparency about its existing products.

This would show how "serious" the "sound" of the statements made in the interview shared here by Scott truly are.

So a more ambidextrous organization would be great, as we all know Casio can offer quality innovation.

Being realistic though, it will take a great effort to shed the recent core idealogies and that transition(although likely beginning with the MZX line), will take some time to manifest for Casio and Casio users.

The biggest issue will be and is, reputation. Casio has a reputation.

Once everything is aligned for how they envision themselves, who will trust that and the products that represent that new vision?

Building trust with current Casio supporters is the first thing necessary in their future plans.

I have no clue how to interpret this thread is all about but I do know one thing. 

I love making music after a few decades of absence.

I've picked music up because I saw Casio which triggered a thought of the 

hey day's and got me the XW.

Inspired by that I started out from ground up again having a few keyboards 

already but none to fully get me back I loved so much which is making music. 

What I learned new is making music is learning making music is by finding you're 

sounds, you're tools and go to instrument with just inspiration and noodle around 

or with a sound music theory and why not just play around having fun get groovy.

Nothing seems as good you wanted it to be once you figure out you're tools, expectancy

tends to get high at first but did you truly get everything out of it with as it is now. My answer 

was no. A tool can be used in more way's then one and the online community is a free thing 

to use which is awesome compared with the past with no internet. 

I can surely feel the love for Casio keyboard on this thread, I also know Casio keyboard players 

love to experiment with their instrument so I see them as sound designers by heart. And I agree 

with the statement that it's just the beginning. Cool things move forward. 

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Carter said:

This is a very refreshing conversation. 

Official insight from Casio is very rewarding. However, without direct information about products and future products from Casio, we are left to only speculate as we are. 

The information revealed by Casio in the interview shared by Scott could take years to manifest for us users to enjoy. I'm guessing at maximum, 10 years for Casio to operate and be the company it has hinted at becoming.

True we can only speculate, but I don't think it will take 10 years to get there. For instance, a full-loaded next gen PX-5S could be fully cobbled together using the best of the tech: The 3 pianos samples from the Grand Hybrid, the sound engine and  MIDI controller features from the PX-5S, the step sequencer from the XWs, and the new AiX engine from the latest CT-X line. Heck you can even put a CZ engine in there -- they have the code from the iOS app.  This is just an extreme example, but you see where I'm going: Very easy to make a big splash in a short amount of time if they are so compelled.  The tech is there: it's putting it all together in a nice, cohesive instrument that is the magic, and that doesn't take 10 years. 

• Thanks 1

Bring back a real pro wind controller like the old Casio horn-only Akai makes one now and it's an expensive toy doesn't even have a real mouthpiece.  A full-blown pro workstation to compete with the best-with sampling, sequencing, analog controls-sort of a high-end version of  the PX's and WKs. Even a piano keyboard WK7600 might sell a few. Maybe a Casio motorcycle or lawnmower (hey Yamaha does).  and a full-blown Casio dance machine like the old Ensoniq ASR's, RM1X or MC Rolands. I suspect many younger musicians are very interested in these older analog and digital devices based on how I see these selling on eBooey and with the Chinese already making high-end audiophile amps.receivers/mixers, there might be another avenue for Casio to explore. Take the old tech like Dave Smith with the classic Sequential Circuits Oberheim stuff, put out something unique in that area-like a CZ-1 with complete analog controls (JD-800, JP-8000 etc.) what is old becomes new. Try to beat the big players at their own game. I've always thought the XW in a fancier less plastic case would seem much closer to the Nords, Yamaha MOX and Roland Fantoms. Look at what is selling on the used eBay market and go from there. How about a compact Casio digital multi-track? And stay away from the old stock stuff the Japanese vendors are trying to get rid of on eBay. amazing how many brand new DX synths are coming out of hiding, as well as alot of other old merchandise that must have never sold in the first place. Tough market since such a small  percentage of new musicians are working pro but that could change as more young musicians try to get out there and make a living touring, playing local venues etc.

My last tour of duty in NJ-NY area required our band played in places that hadn't seen a live act in decades. If we didn't bring our own audience, these places were empty people aren't going out much anymore. Unless you live down the shore, there are not too many places a live band can play outside of that and NYC-so there isn't the same need to bring new equipment out. There is only one Sam Ash in Paramus, I think it's still there, and Guitar Centers which are struggling to stay in business-and this is one of the most heavily populated areas in the country!  And Casio central is in Dover, NJ so they have a presence in this heavily populated corridor.

On 2/1/2018 at 4:12 PM, Scott Hamlin said:

Very easy to make a big splash in a short amount of time if they are so compelled.  The tech is there: it's putting it all together in a nice, cohesive instrument that is the magic

I would just prefer that Casio take their time to get their magic right. You are correct, for a new product, it should not take 10 years. However, I am not interested in seeing Casio making a quick splash or do anything that is very easy for them. The 10 year projection I actually meant for entire internal operations to be reflective of their ideals along with products showcasing that.

Yet still, due to where Casio currently stands in transition, with their professional reputation and recent pro products(or whatever they meant to be....price says pro for MZX-500), I feel its safe to say Casio would do good in taking as much time as they can in getting any new pro market product right with all of its magic. 

I don't want them to do what's easy, I think we are seeing that already.

Casio would do well in creating a product for today's keyboardist/synthesist/producer. Recognizing people have other gear or older gear and all kinds of gadgets(modular), they would like to connect with any new gear is important.

Just crossing your T's and dotting I's in this way, along with everything that makes a product fun and intuitive in it's operation, is what all electronic music gear manufacturers forget on occasion. 

Thanks for responding so I can clarify Scott.

I speculate and estimate 3-5 years for a new good groundbreaking quality product from Casio Music, and 7-10 years for the company to be well along, actively living their new truths, with products and practices reflecting that in their work.

I hope to be wrong about only the length of time it will take to get there.