Video Files on Forum ×

Casio In Retreat Mode? An open letter to Casio USA...

moontom

• 2 weeks later...

This thread stalled but I have one more addition. This is from Gearslutz, where I don't usually expect to read anything that isn't adolescent complaining or fanboy raving. But then this (names removed):

Quote:
I was an early adopter of the XW-P1, and I felt it was a pretty cool rompler, especially for the price. I think the sequencer was actually quite good...I got fast at it. I agree, that the UI was pretty rough especially for deep programming though.

Also, I thought Casio was going to start really developing their pro synths again, and so I felt it was important to support that, which is why I bought the XW-P1 and later a PX5-s. But alas, they did not stick to it, and I ended up selling both...though I did buy one of their PX-160 digital pianos, which I still love and cherish.

Anyway, I'm not sure if they didn't hit their sales goals or what, but I'm disappointed they let go of pro synths again.
I have an XW-P1, I love the HEX Layer synth, and the general Rompler type things

I admit I don't get the monophonic VA engine "solo synth" and why it doesn't have polyphony, and the Drawbar organ sounds good but no better than the one in the microSTATION

Drop the Organ and the Solosynth, add a CZ engine instead and they would have sold more units.

The quoted text expresses the hope for Casio some had but have now lost. I totally agree with the idea that adding a CZ engine would have sold more units. It seems so obvious. They could STILL do that with a future synth model. (But I don't agree with the poster's apparent disdain for the solo-synth and drawbar-organ synthesis modes. I "get" them.)

8 hours ago, AlenK said:

The quoted text expresses the hope for Casio some had but have now lost. I totally agree with the idea that adding a CZ engine would have sold more units. It seems so obvious. They could STILL do that with a future synth model.

Yamaha stopped to make FM-capable synths a lot of time ago.  Now they'have done the Montage an the Reface, despite the fact that hardware-FM ICs are still in production. 

We're assisting a comeback of old sounds of those early digital synths. Heck sometimes I think that we'll see a comeback of the Ondes Martenot (I think is still made somewhere in France, at least with opamps instead of tubes)

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/30/2018 at 8:08 AM, moontom said:

Dear Casio USA....

So...the big NAMM reveal from Casio in 2018 is that it's back to being a budget arranger keyboard company? Hope I'm wrong, but it looks like the announcement of the new sound source and CTX line was basically it. There was no announcement about OS updates to any existing products -- and let's be real, if you don't have new hardware to show dealers, you'd better be able to promise software-delivered upgrades, something/anything to spark interest. Otherwise you are DOA.

I recognize that new products take time to bring to market. From the user perspective, though, this NAMM show offered Casio a chance to offer a general overall signal about where its higher-end "professional" level product line is headed. Based on reports from the show, it looks like it's not the direction most of us -- who rejoiced and voted with our dollars when Casio announced its return to pro keyboards -- would want.

That leaves existing Casio users -- particularly those with the MZ-X and the touchscreen Privias -- wondering what it is realistic to expect in terms of updates and support going forward. Casio's competition all dropped new or refreshed products this month, and if history is a guide, those companies are already offering OS updates, tutorials and related materials to new and prospective customers. Meanwhile, from Casio, it's crickets. We have to assume that nothing further is in the pipeline.

I still believe in my MZ-X500 but find myself tempted by what's in the marketplace for arrangers right now. It sure would be great to hear something (anything!) from Casio about future plans for its pro keyboard operation. I hope Casio recognizes that the users of these instruments rely on their products every day, and thus have different relationships with their gear than those who buy budget keyboards. Nobody's asking Casio to divulge big secrets here, but please (PLEASE) give your loyal and longstanding customers some indication of what to expect in the near future.

That's not too much to ask.

Respectfully,

TM

MZ-X500 owner

And then there's those of us who rely on our instruments, whether they carry the title of "Pro" or "Arranger."

I don't know about anyone else, but I just LOVE getting a "Pro Sound" at an "Arranger Price."

I mean, does it make any of you feel better to want to plunk down a few grand on a keyboard, just so that it reinforces your status as a "professional?"

MIKE GRELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Green Arrow PROFESSIONAL ACTIION COMICS.jpg

On 1/30/2018 at 9:29 AM, Lee33 said:

Good luck finding anything like the MZX for anywhere near its price! Casio has no real rivals at its price level. That is where Casio rule. The MZX in itself is a budget keyboard. Nothing is close for its price with the features this has. Marvel in what Casio has produced at this price because really it is still unreal today...

I strongly suspect that the CTX Series will set a new bar though......

On 1/30/2018 at 3:50 PM, Songwriter2015 said:

Dear all,

I'm not going to stupidly try and hide the fact that I was very pessimistic about Casio releasing another "professional" keyboard this year.

After all, it's there for anyone to see in the "Casio....NAMM" thread!

I've also, as an owner of the X500, never hidden the fact that I believe that Casio's "support/marketing" of the keyboard was nothing short of, "lousy" - at BEST, and "pathetic" - at WORST!!

Whether or not U.S. owners defend ( or not ) Casio..... Whether they " put-down " some of the justifiable " complaints " from members from " elsewhere " ......

Whether they make some spurious ( imho ) argument along the lines of: " Casio believe the potential market in 'A' / 'B' / 'C', is more "lucrative" is, again, imho, totally redundant!

If Casio SELL an instrument in the U.K./EURO Zone, then they are, by definition, obligated to SUPPORT that instrument, and the owners who've parted with their hard-earned, in order to purchase it!! 

CASIO, in THIS  Zone, made not the slightest effort to support or assist buyers ( OR, for that matter, PROSPECTIVE buyers ), apart from with "a couple" of very brief, and not exactly in-depth, videos from Rich Formidoni, and Mike Martin!!

Please, let no one try to argue with this, because it's there for all to see --- or rather, in this case --- NOT see!!

Casio failed, abysmally, on all levels, to support, assist, and RESPECT, the musicians whose cash they were more than happy to take!!

BUT --- All those incontrovertible facts DO NOT alter the fact that the X500 is a FABULOUS keyboard!!

Despite some posters, over the months, trying to deny the fact, it simply HAS NO competition at its price-point!......

...... And the arguments for an "upgraded" model may be nice to have in a wish-list --- but it doesn't make that 'upgrade" a necessary thing!

From a personal standpoint, I use my X500 every single day, and I've not found myself thinking, yet, that it SHOULD have this feature or that feature!!

A WISH does not a NECESSITY make!!

Likewise, finally, Casio are under no obligation to release a new Professional keyboard, of the kind we'd all like,....

.... ( and what IS that, by the way - answers on a postcard! 😊 )

just because people say they SHOULD!!

Just because there's no new "Pro keyboard" at NAMM.

Just because Casio messed-up with their support of the X500. 

Just because they don't comply with the dozens and dozens of "demands" from members/owners re "upgrades / features / products / whatever" doesn't suddenly make them a BAD Company!!

It just makes them, (if my 40+ years as a working musician, live and in the studio,  mean ANYTHING! ) the SAME as every other Company!!

Join some different products Forums and I'll guarantee you'll read the SAME KIND OF POSTS as you read here!

There ain't nothing new in the world of the musician!!

Just different shaped pickguards!!

Take it easy all

Chris 

Wow! I feel like I've read a post which I wrote myself, particularly with emphasis on the ellipses and capital letters!

Right on! :)

On 2/1/2018 at 12:12 PM, Scott Hamlin said:

True we can only speculate, but I don't think it will take 10 years to get there. For instance, a full-loaded next gen PX-5S could be fully cobbled together using the best of the tech: The 3 pianos samples from the Grand Hybrid, the sound engine and  MIDI controller features from the PX-5S, the step sequencer from the XWs, and the new AiX engine from the latest CT-X line. Heck you can even put a CZ engine in there -- they have the code from the iOS app.  This is just an extreme example, but you see where I'm going: Very easy to make a big splash in a short amount of time if they are so compelled.  The tech is there: it's putting it all together in a nice, cohesive instrument that is the magic, and that doesn't take 10 years. 

NOW, it doesn't take ten years.
But, from the MZ2000 to the CT-X series, it has taken 16 years and five sound engines to GET to "now".

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 10:44 PM, Carter said:

Instead of improving a product, it seems they give you a new one, reborn and reimagined.

Um, do you reiterate much?

What do you think that "new", "reborn", and "reimagined" mean?

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 5:35 PM, Chas said:

100% agree with you on this. Very surprised that Casio has not already done so. It would also elevate Casio's standing among "pro" users to have such a module available, plus it would allow others who wouldn't normally give Casio a glance a chance to get to hear how good they can sound.

And most of all, Casio need to capitalize on their CZ legacy and re-release it in updated and expanded form. The other three of the big four Japanese keyboard manufacturers are doing this already with their vintage gear, the market is there and the CZ's are much loved and respected. 

We need a fully fledged CZ re-issue, not just a few basic CZ waves chucked into to an otherwise completely different synth. Or at the very least, have a CZ emulator section as part of the proposed super module mentioned above. 

Oh, and re-release the PD1 with 5 pin MIDI sockets and midi clock sync. How that passed the design stage with those missing is anyone's guess.

If most pros STILL think that CASIO Keyboards are "toys',  or derisively refer to them as "Fun Stations", what makes you think that wrapping a bunch of "Casio Stuff" in a sardine can is going to change their minds?
And why does the age-old correlation of "money means performance" still exist?
My $60 G-Shock tells the time as well as a $5,000 Rolex.

( You ever notice in the movies, that people are always after the one with the MOST money and LEAST amount of brains?)

For HALF the price of a GENOS, I would still have enough money to properly equip a home studio with many *different* pieces of CASIO ( and a few others) gear and still have enough left over, to throw a party that would make a roman orgy look like a "toss-off" session to the lingerie section of the Sears catalog!

Good sense + Proper Budgeting. That's all you need.

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 10:10 AM, moontom said:

POSTSCRIPT: So after much deliberation, I began looking seriously at the MZ competition. In part I was driven by curiosity. And also by the nagging sense that Casio is no longer aiming at professionals. We should have heard some response to this thread and several others basically asking "Hey Casio, are you in this space or have you abandoned it and just not told anybody?" and, as some have noted, the lack of response is in itself a response. In my opinion it's kinda cowardly but hey....

Anyways, I got to try a friend's new Genos and despite the price tag I was deeply impressed. the board arrived the other day and it is super intuitive, sounds great, and in terms of interface, is elegant in ways we've not seen before in the arranger market. There are some sounds from the MZ I'll miss (Herbie's Rhodes!) and it doesn't have the sampling capability but the overall package Yamaha has developed here is tremendous. And....it goes without saying...Yamaha has been in this segment for a long time and will continue to be.

I really want to thank Brad, Rick and all the folks here at this forum for sharing wisdom, tips and their expertise so graciously. You guys are the best. Thank you!

Yamaha, has been in the workstation department ONLY as long as their other competitors.

And it wasn't Yamaha, Roland, Korg or Casio, that came up with the concept first.